Twist

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by johndockley92, Dec 3, 2011.

1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

So I was pondering the other day, and after thinking for awhile, i found it strange that a twist is worth so little.

There is only 1 twist in each program, and yet it's not worth very much it all.

Isn't that weird?

PS didn't know where to put this thread.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Bazarova/Larionov received 6.90 points for their 3FTw2 (5.40 BV + 1.50 GOE) in their FS at Skate America. Which pairs have scored higher on this element so far this season or earlier?

3. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

It seems like the BV for a 3lz(f)tw1 should be around 6.5/7 points, imo. When you think about it, the twist doesn't have much influence on the placement. Strange really.

4. Sylvia

This might be a good topic to bring up with Alexander Lakernik (he's the current Chair of the Singles and Pairs Technical Committee for the ISU) and see what he thinks.

5. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

yeah, if i could i would :p It's just my opinion.

6. Sylvia

Well, you never know who's reading FSU... ;)

7. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I dunno. Is there a single element that really has much influence on placement?

8. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

No... but is there any element that there is only one of? It seems like such a huge element too... and it's not even worth as much as a lutz.

9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Actually, either one or two of the four lifts of in a program can be twist lifts. If there are two twists, they have to be different takeoffs and/or different number of rotations (same as jumps and throws).

10. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Death spiral?

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Most elements are done only once. One step sequence, one side by side spin, one spin together, one death spiral...and one twist. Though I do agree that the twist have much more 'danger factor' in it. And well done twist is just WOW, whereas well done step sequence or spin very rarely makes you do that.

12. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

This is true, but there is no point incentive to develop a twist from a different entry as compared to a regular lift.

13. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I don't remember about earlier or other competitions of this season, but in Grand Prix events - Volosozhar/Trankov (at SC, of course - 7.40 for 3LzTw2 with base value 5.40 in SP, 7.00 for the same 3LzTw2 in FS), Sui/Han (at SC - 7.96 for 4LzTw1 with base value 7.10 in FS, at CoC - 7.20 for 3LzTw3 with base value 5.80 in SP) and Xiaoyu YU/Yang JIN (at SC - 7.00 for 3LzTw3 in SP and FS). So, Sui/Han can do a higher difficulty level twist lift, but Volosozhar/Trankov basically receive the highest GOE when they do their twists clean (like there's any surprise).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think B/L have the best twist because his posture is so good through-out but to me I wish the levels would change for the twist. I have never seen anyone do a level 4 quad twist and I doubt I ever will.