TV viewing schedule for Worlds

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by A.H.Black, Mar 13, 2012.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

The Universal Schedule for Worlds is up. http://www.universalsports.com/figure-skating/events/event=US0100809/viewers-guide/index.html

The schedule includes both streaming and TV listings. The TV schedule is below -

There are also some listings for Jr. Worlds. The notice says they will be free but there are no times or links.

2. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

So it's not on anything but Universal, which I no longer get???

That's it. See ya sport I've loved since 1968. It's been a good run.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

NBC has a 2012 Worlds broadcast (taped highlights) scheduled for Sunday, April 8 from 3-6 pm Eastern time.

4. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

It's also live on Ice Network. Check the website for the schedule.

5. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Is Ice Network now a TV channel too? (subject of thread) It would be great if IceNetwork expanded beyond the web to cable TV.

6. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Nope, (s)he was referring to the live streaming on the website. (there is an extra fee to watch, though- separate from the season pass)

7. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Which live streaming is generally the best----Universal or Icenetwork? Never used Universal, but frequently have problems with Icenetwork, as have others. The cost for Universal is 14.95.

8. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

I have found that the streaming quality is much better from IceNetwork than with UniversalSports.com feeds. My host provider is Comcast and I view the IN stream on my HDTV and have enjoyed the sharpness of their streaming video.

I usually run UniversalSports.com stream on my other computer as a backup and this provides me with a instantaneous comparison.

9. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

10. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

What do you have to do to get this to play? Screen comes up but no streaming happens.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Darn it. I will be at work. I am hoping for some amazing PBP tomorrow morning. Help a gal out, please.

12. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Thank goodness I live near the Canadian border and get Canadian TV. Not much, a whopping 2 hours, but better than NBC, which is offering....nothing??!!! Wow.

13. AJ Skatefan

NBC is showing 3 hours on Sunday April 8.

14. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Well, usually I'm all up for skating coverage, but this is a special case IMHO. To me, this competition really isn't worth seeing again :yikes:

15. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I wonder if they will have Scott Hamilton -- leader of the Czisny P.R. Machine in the past -- calling the action? I wouldn't miss that for the world. :watch:

16. AJ Skatefan

not funny

17. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I would guess they'd use the commentary from the Universal Sports coverage. So, Tara Lipinski and Peter Carruthers?

18. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

19. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Andrea Joyce did some of the interviews for Universal. I think she was the only one from NBC/Universal who was actually there. A friend who attended in Nice reported that the only booths set up for TV were from Canada and Japan.

20. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Well Tracy was there anyway and since neither her CBC gig nor the NBC coverage were shown live I guess it wasn't too hard to do.

21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Czisny's name isn't even on the list of top skaters in my DVR Guide program description for NBC's worlds broadcast. OUCH!

22. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Watched the NBC coverage of the mens free skate today and I feel the pain for my U.S. views. I almost yelled at my tv today -- something I don't feel the need to do during skating very often but ... well here's what happened.

Joubert was skating his Matrix and I was noticing that regardless of how much he was selling his skate to the crowd, I often felt "something" was missing (hint: transitions and stuffs). Anyway, Tracy makes a comment about his program and (now paraphrasing) how it it should have more inbetween the jumps (compared to Hanu, Dai and Patrick) and what does the male commentator say ... "well why should he?"

Well I was left sputtering and muttering to myself "for the marks, stupid, the PCS marks. You know, the stuff that apparently Joubert and Plushenko don't perform". Face palm engaged!

With commentary like that it come to no surprise to me that casual viewers wouldn't understand why Chan with his waxel beat Joubert who was clean.

23. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I saw a caption at the bottom of the screen that said 22nd.

24. Johnny_Fever

Great outfit on Carolina Kostner. That's the first bodysuit I've seen in a legitimate competition.

25. sequins

sequins Active Member

Seriously? I hope Tracy said something but I'm guessing not. Maybe she had the reaction you did. I think it's time to face it, the average fan will just never get it and should not be a commentator for figure skating. These people at home were probably going 'Ya, why should he?'

26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

The TV commentators are considered by all but the most ardent fans to be experts, to know what they're talking about, and to break down the action for the viewer. When even the analysts can't find words to explain a result, you know you've got a problem.

27. Johnny_Fever

I get the impression they always pair an expert with a non-expert. In this case, Tracy was the expert. I'm not sure why they feel they need the non-expert. Maybe his job is to make the sport more accessible to mainstream viewers.

28. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

They showed clips of Alissa's and Adam's programs (her falls, his step-outs), but not the whole thing. There was nothing shown of the Shibs or the U.S. pairs, and only brief clips of Savchenko/Slokowy and Voloshzar/Trankov, the top 2 pair finishers.

Maybe the point of the non-expert commentator is to ask the questions they think that the viewer might have so that the expert can answer them?

29. kubo

kubo New Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but all of the CBC main network telecasts of the Worlds (with Kurt and Tracy) are available "on demand" until the end of April on the Rogers Cable system. If you have this "on demand" option in your cable plan, go to the main menu screen (channel 100), select "TV Shows", then "CBC", then "bold". Within the bold section, you can find all the telecasts in both HD and standard defintition.