TV Shows Cancelled, Renewed, and New - US Network TV Upfronts

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 7, 2010.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Is this official? I heard there is a ton of speculation but that total cancellation was not likely. I heard they would probably do some kind of mini series event to end the story. I guess that still means the series is officially canceled and they just may have a mini-series in the works. I loved this show at first but didn't watch after I got behind in the 2nd season.

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

3. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Finally. Heroes was cancelled. I'm glad they put that show out of its misery. It had a fantastic first season and then it all went to hell. I gave it up during the second season because it got sooooooooooooo bad.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Bones is renewed? :cheer2:

5. missflick

missflick New Member

I got as far as the first episode of the third season. Then I gave it up.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I got about 3 eps into last season (the '08-'09 season) and had an epiphany that the show was going to keep trying to fool us into thinking it was as cool as S1 without actually fixing things so I gave up. I did watch the last 2 eps of this season and they were ok...but I am fine with it being canceled. Their biggest mistake was not letting Sylar stay dead after the end of S1.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Too bad about Scrubs - I really loved it in the beginning, but it got dull, especially after the move to ABC.

9. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

You lasted much longer than most. ITA that the show's biggest mistake was keeping Sylar. Zachary Quinto is good, but Sylar was far too powerful to keep as a regular and couldn't be rehabilitated in a believable fashion.

The other mistake was not doing more in the first season's finale. Everything in that season was leading up to a huge battle between the heroes and Sylar, but the episode was terribly done.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

A "long-term" series can really transform the entire area.
    I hope that other series can take advantage of the infrastructure that has been developed, so that the positive impact continues.

11. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I don't think series like Heroes and Dollhouse play very well as a weekly series. There are too many interconnecting plots and too many main characters. I actually enjoyed Season 3 of Heroes but I rented it and watched it over the course of a week. None of the episodes of these series are very good as stand alone shows, because it is hard to have a story for each episode along with the continuing storyline.

Shows that succeed in this way have only one or two central characters- 24, Fringe, X Files.

I'm not sure how LOST fits into this theory, except maybe that The Island and the mystery are actually the central character, and the people are secondary.

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Sorry about FF, but Modern Family and Justified both renewed so I'm good. MF makes me laugh out loud and Timothy Olyphant is gorgeous. Plus, I love Elmore Leonard and he's an executive producer on Justified.

13. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

FF - bummed - it has been getting good
    L&O - sad to see it go, but there are so many episodes I have not seen - so syndication is still there. I always enjoyed the show, but never recorded it, since not serial. Also enjoy the spinoffs. But to me, L&O has not been the same since Jerry Orbach's character retired. Lenny was great!!

14. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Fox network ordered comedy "Traffic Light", based on the Israeli series of the same name. TL, one of the highest-rated comedy on Israeli TV, revolves around three male friends in different stages of relationships:
    green for a free single man,
    yellow for a single man who is in long dating relationship with the same girlfriend and is about to marry her,
    and finally a married man whose status is similar to the red light because it brings him to a => stop status.
    Bob Fisher ("The Wedding Crashers") is going to be the co-writer along with the Israeli team.
    I hope that the American adaptation will be as funny as the original one.

15. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Lenny was great--but Jerry Orbach died, so it was a bit difficult to keep Lenny going!

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I think Lenny left before Jerry died. Wasn't he the star of a spin off that bombed with his death?

17. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Jerry Orback was a guest star really on Law and Order Trial By Jury - the star was Bebe Neuwirth

18. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Yes, his last episode was wonderful. I loved when he said good bye to the Lt saying it was his longest relationship with a woman.
    As much as I have enjoyed L&O, and it was created as a show that would not rely on any star/actor/actresses, Jerry Orbach made that show.
    Note - I read an article with Dick Wolf awhile back, and he had worked on some show in the 80s with some young guys that did well, and after one year held out for more money, so that is how he created L&O- not wanting to depend on actors. Also the article mentioned that the L&O franchise generated something like 25% of the profits for NBC for a time.

19. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

That would have been Miami Vice. Where is Phillip Michael Thomas now? Somewhere in Rex's house chained to the wall?

20. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

21. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Summer!!! Awesome. Loved her in Firefly. Of course, I also loved Nathan, Gina and the rest of them too. Talk about a show that got canceled way too soon! :(

Not upset to see Heroes go but it would be nice to see closure on that and Flash Forward.

Going to be odd next year with both 24 and Lost off my DVR schedule. (although I do think 24 went on 2 seasons too long :shuffle: )

22. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Fans of history shows should also check out Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It takes a while to get into it and you might be put off by the violence and 300esque graphics, but the patience is well worth it.

Starz ordered a second season, but it's temporarily on hold as the lead actor is getting treatment for lymphoma.

23. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

You could also be offended by the lots of gratuitous nudity-lots of it. Just to put that out there with the violence warnings.

25. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I watched Law and Order from it's inception, so I'm really sad to see it go away. The constant changes in cast made it seem fresh and revitalized every few years, but I guess all good things must come to an end. But it was a treat to see all the great New York actors guest star on the show, plus the occaisional big names like Julia Roberts and Gary Busey. But it's going to live on in reruns forever, and with 400+ episodes to watch, it won't get stale soon.

I actually thought for a while Dick Wolf might as well start up a Law and Order channel to show reruns of all the shows all the time!

Now I'll really be sad when The Simpson's has it's last episode, hopefully that is a long way off.

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Pul-leese! :rolleyes: No deadbeat daddies in this bed, no matter how fine they are!

Phillip's nickname should be "Johnny Appleseed" :EVILLE:.

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

His last imdb entry is from 2006 - a voice in a Grand Theft Auto game.

28. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

30. Ares

Ares Guest

I heard Brothers & Sisters was only picked up for 18 episodes this season.

Is this expected to be their last?