TV Shows Cancelled, Renewed, and New - US Network TV Upfronts

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 7, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I hear that "Law & Order" has not been renewed....

Norlite and (deleted member) like this.
  2. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

3. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

That's scary. Law & Order has been on TV for exactly half of my life. It's kind of a shame because the new cast has grown on me over this year.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Three :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: for "V"!!! I am soooo HAPPY!!!! BUT :angryfire at L&O and FF not being renewed. :(

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've actually been watching some of the eps this season. I've always eschewed the original L&O because SVU and Criminal Intent were edgier and sexier. But both of those shows are boring me now and I have found the original show to be quite solid. I lurve Abigail.

6. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Happy about "V" but very sad about "FlashForward".

7. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Even better, I read yesterday that L&O is cancelled, but #*(&@$ Heroes is getting another shot.

Pffft.

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Sad for L&O. I don't watch Heroes so I have no opinion on it.

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Vaguely sad re: FF, but not unexpected.

10. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Aw bleep, Better Off Ted officially gone. ABC, you freaking idiots. It was the most hilarious show on TV, IMO so much better than the bland amusement of other sitcoms that get so much more attention - Modern Family on the same network, Big Bang Theory on CBS, Community on NBC.

But it was out and out farce, which oftentimes just doesn't play well on network TV. Even though 30 Rock, which has also become just a farce, but an unfunny one, lives on into a fifth season. (And I speak as someone who has a vague acquaintance with one or two of that show's writers.)

Oh well, just hope P & R can stay decent.

And even though I think Flash Forward's a hot mess, I still watch it sometimes. (I liked the book the idea was based on.) I haven't heard whether the plot will be tidied up at season's end.

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It will be a long while before something as satisfying to the adult audience as the "Law and Order" franchise, arrives to replace it..

:(:(

12. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Most network TV is so inferior anymore. Even cable is starting to annoy me. The shows try too hard to be shocking and edgy, and they end up coming across as ridiculous. I stopped watching Psych and Burn Notice for those reasons too.

13. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Rex, agree. I've watched basic cable (i.e., USA/TNT) shows at other people's house or on Hulu, and I've rented DVDs of high-end cable (HBO, Showtime) shows. I usually find the USA/TNT/FX-type shows blah and not compelling enough to keep me searching them out.

And most of the HBO/Showtime stuff of recent seasons has been outright disappointing to me, after hearing such hype about the shows - good production values, but characters or storylines that just don't draw me in. (Weeds, Deadwood, True Blood.)

The last highly-rated cable show which really made an impression on me was Six Feet Under.

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Loved SFU. I used to watch most of the cable series, but like I said, they reek of desperation and look-how-edgy-and-crazy-my-characters-are. Enough already.

15. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

16. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

It's been on for basically my entire life!

My mother is going to be very sad about Better Off Ted.

17. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Law & Order: Los Angeles seems to be pretty certain for a NBC spot next year. It sounds like it will use the same formula as the original, just with a different cast and setting. So the show may fill the same niche as the current show.

I think the nail in the coffin for the original L&O was the TNT deal. With the commitment to buy 20 years of episodes for syndication, Wolf could take less from NBC and still make money. TNT doesn't have to buy more episodes, since it has such a large number to air already and, presumably, with more of its own programming, it will cut back on the the L&O marathons.

18. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Exactly how many shots has Heroes gotten?

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Not happy about FF at all, but they blew it with the long break - the real time aspect is gone, too many characters moving in and out. So of the 6 acted shows I watch regularly, only 2 are sure to return.

Lost, FF, Tudors -- gone
    Numb3rs - probably cancelled
    Bones, Modern Family - renewed

I guess I will go back to House and maybe I will get Fringe DVDs and try to pick that one up. When does the Borgias start?

20. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Sadly, not till 2011.

I'm bummed about Flash Forward. It was never as good as Lost, but has really gained momentum.

I'm not going to be left with many dramas to watch regularly, either. I haven't been watching House on Mondays because of DWTS, but decided to watch it last Monday. It was really :yawn: I hope that was just a one time thing.

21. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Flash Forward needed to take a page from LOST. They figured out that they had to start the season later and let the new epsidoes run back to back. Why they didn't do that for Flash Forward is beyond me. I watched it avidly before the break, but never regained interest when it came back from break.

22. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Oh, :lol:

I'm sorry, I love all the L&O franchises, but this just make me think we're actually inching closer to Law & Order P.C.A.M.P.I.E.O.F.T.D

:p

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Law and Order: LA wouldn't bother me.
    Some of Dick Wolf's reality-based legal programs have been close to that, already,

24. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Law and Order's last show will be May 24th. 20 years, they join only a few primetime shows with that honor. Bonanza being one.

25. Auntie

Auntie New Member

:mad: FF! I have really been enjoying it. I hope there is some kind of closure at the end of this season. I will miss seeing Joseph Fiennes every week. :swoon:

26. Freespirit

Freespirit New Member

Love "The Good Wife", my favorite non-reality of the season.

27. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I'm a L&O: CI fan myself, and was not happy when Goren and Eames left (and the way they left was lame. Seriously, Goren pushes a suspect and gets canned. Stabler pummels suspects and nothing happens). I like Jeff Goldblum's character, but he has zero chemistry with Saffron Burrows.

28. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Wow...You can't really say this w/a lot of shows, but w/L&O being cancelled you w/out a doubt can...

It's the End of an Era on Television. :(

I haven't watched for a few years, but it's going to be strange not to see it promo-ed come September. :(

29. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I just saw on ew.com Heroes has been cancelled, but there was only an announcement, no story.

30. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This is EXACTLY what happened to me! I didn't miss any of the first run of episodes and then I haven't seen a single one since the break. Its been so long that now I have totally lost interest and wouldn't watch if they ran a marathon, to be honest. Partly my fault for getting behind but ABC knows better than to allow it to happen!