TV Shows Cancelled, Renewed, and New - US Network TV Upfronts

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 7, 2010.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

It's approaching upfront time again, and the US tv networks have begun announcing renewals, cancellations, and new series for next year.

TV shows felt by many to be in danger of cancellation: V, Flash Forward, One Tree Hill, Medium, Caprica, Cold Case, Life Unexpected, Heroes, Numbers, Mercy, Trauma, Melrose Place, Better Off Ted.

I think Numbers is gone. David K. has already found a new job on another series.

TV shows already announced as ending or cancelled: 24, Ugly Betty, Til Death, Scrubs (again), Past Life, Lost, Hank, Sons of Tucson, Eastwick, Dollhouse.

Shows already renewed include: Castle, Cougartown, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Gossip Girl, Smallville, Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, American Idol, Fringe, Glee, Community (YIPPEEEE!!!!).

The dates of the upfront presentations this year, when all will be revealed:

Monday, May 17
    NBC (Morning)
    FOX (Afternoon)

Tuesday, May 18
    ABC (Afternoon)

Wednesday, May 19
    CBS (Afternoon)

Thursday, May 20
    The CW (Morning)

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm hoping that at least one of V or Flash Forward will be renewed. I also want to see more of Caprica. Heroes got better at the end of the season but they still pretty much lost me last season.

I also hope Medium survives :shuffle: I lurve me some Allison DuBois.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am so glad Castle got renewed and I am very hopeful that both V and Flashforward will also be renewed. I read somewhere about some of the ideas for V's 2nd season that the folks behind the series are planning. :cheer2:

4. GarrAarghHrumph

Medium's doing well in the ratings, but it's been on for so long that it's gotten expensive. That's never a good thing.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

V and Flash Forward can go for all I care. I tried, I really did, but they could not hold my attention.

Really glad Community is renewed. I hope The Good Wife is picked up again as well as Modern Family. I doubt either of those will be in any danger, though.

6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I never heard about Up Front before. Whatever it is if it gives me 411 I am happy.

Any work on The Good Wife and Damages. I don't think TGW has any concerns, but Damages ended as though it could be OVER.

Numbers doesn't surprise me. After the first couple of years, it lost it's "real" feel, and became so technical (but more complicated to be complicated ), my husband and I never understood what was going on, but we always figured it had been a "good show".

7. Ares

Ares Guest

Any news on Brothers and Sisters? Last I checked the ratings were slipping. I was kind of worried.

8. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I hope V stays. I love that show and it is starting to get really really good. Glad that Vampire Diaries is staying and same with Gossip Girl. I know sad that I like them...haha.

Rock2 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. GarrAarghHrumph

The Good Wife has been renewed. I don't know about Modern Family. I'll look it up.

ETA: Modern Family has been renewed.

Renewed!

The Upfronts happen in NYC every May. They're when the network channels present their fall schedules to their advertisers. They announce launch dates for new fall and mid-season shows, and show previews of the shows.

These are huge presentations that take place in, for example, Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall. There's often a major person presenting, skits and musical numbers, and guest appearances from stars, etc.

There's often a party afterwards, where the advertisers get to mingle with the stars of some of the shows on the network, get their pictures taken with the cast of Lost, etc.

Example of one such photo:
    http://photos1.blogger.com/img/77/5935/640/Lost1.jpg

Bet you can tell who the advertiser is. And since then said advertiser has learned to do as the actresses do - you stand sideways for photos, so as not to look as large as a house. :lol:

And give me a break. I'd just had a baby. ;) But yes, it was this upfront photo that prompted me to try to get fitter, as I saw it and realized that I was three times the size of the woman who plays Claire. Sigh.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
    gkelly, LadyNit, dbell1 and 5 others like this.
  10. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Almost seems like the end of era with a lot of those shows.

I'm really glad The Good Wife was picked up again. It is a really good show, and Julianna Margulies is an amazing actress.

11. shells

shells New Member

There was a legal show that was on around the time of the Olympics, The Deep End (I think?). I wonder if that'll come back again, I really enjoyed it.

Glad to hear about Brothers & Sisters it's one of 2 shows I make sure I never miss. (the other being House)

12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Me too. I really enjoy it and I'm glad it's doing well.

13. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

That must mean then both "Parks and Recreation" and "The Middle" may be in trouble if these two are being renewed.

There was already talk that next season will actually have the cast go backwards in time (5 years+) with William Walker still alive (thus Tom Skerritt comes back).

14. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

glad, it is a good show. in some ways a typical procedural law show, but the whole thing with chris noth's character/situation, and the great acting, I really enjoy this show.

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If "Numbers" is gone, I'm very sad.
    Charlie Epps and his family are wonderful.

I'm glad that David Krumholtz has found another series.
    I recently saw a very early episode of "Law and Order" in which he appeared.
    He is a teriffic actor.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  16. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Both have actually already been renewed.

17. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Thanks! I was expecting ABC/NBC to change those nightly blocks at least a little bit, but it appears it's status quo for next year.

18. Albee

Albee New Member

I like Mercy and Trama (Trama a bit more) and I like Flashforward.

19. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The new shows I really cared about (Cougartown, The Vampire Diaries) are safe, so I'm okay. Add in Glee, Modern Family, V and Flashforward, this has been a very strong season for new shows. If both V and Flashforward are done, I'll live, although I probably prefer V.

20. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Does this mean Criminal Minds is safe for next season?

CM's the only prime Time show I watch semi-regularly.

21. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Any word on Parenthood?

22. shells

shells New Member

I love Tom Skerritt, that'd be awesome. Though they'd have to get new actors to play Sarah's kids, it'd be pretty hard to reverse the kids that play Paige & Cooper 5 years.

I hope it's safe, I am really enjoying it.

23. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how the networks expect a 'big' show along the lines of Flash Forward to do well when they yank it around the schedule and schedule long breaks. 24 and Lost can do that since they have a rabid following (aren't coming back/big star attached/etc.).

It's like Firefly or Journeyman (with Kevin Kidd as the time traveling cop) - Loved both and lost both after an abbreviated first season. Either give it a full 2 years to make a mark or make it a 1 year longer miniseries type show with a start/middle/end (and a chance for spinoffs or prequels).

24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Didn't Journeyman also suffer from the writer's strike? I remember there were a bunch of fledgling series that got majorly derailed by the strike because they hadn't had time to develop a following. I liked that show a lot.

25. GarrAarghHrumph

Renewed.

26. shells

shells New Member

That doesn't surprise me, given the cast I can't imagine that they'd pull the plug on that show too quickly. Plus, it's a good show.

27. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

P & R got a very early renewal this winter. Amy Poehler's expecting her second child and the show had to start taping some of Season 3 (or their second full season) this spring to make up for when she's unavailable later this summer.

Starring in a TV show and the mom of two kids under two. Even with nannies that sounds completely exhausting. :yawn: :coffee: (OTOH, this is the woman who had enough energy to be Palin-rappin' a week before she had the first youngun. :))

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2: for Castle!!! I love that show!

Chris_E and (deleted member) like this.
  29. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I don't watch this show, but I read an interview with the producer that they are planning on jumping forward a year. That way they can bypass the aftermath of a major character leaving. They definitely are going forward, since Giles Marini will be a regular next year.

It's too bad, because I love Tom Skerritt.

30. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I read the same thing about Brothers & Sisters moving forward one year. I wouldn't mind seeing how the family was when William was alive but maybe they can just do a flashback somehow to that time.

I'm nervous for V and Flashforward. I don't watch too many shows anymore but those are two of my faves. IMO, they both suffered due to the long breaks they had around the Olympics and I hope ABC gives them a chance to have a second season to see if they can grow their fanbases with regular airings. I don't feel like either show got a fair chance with those long haituses this year. Quite frankly, V wasn't even supposed to start airing until this past winter or spring, so they didn't do the show any favors by starting it early and then yanking it off the air just when it was starting to find a steady audience. :(