TV - More Cause for Concern

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Mont, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Mont

Mont Member

Lest we think that figure skating is recovering in Canada, here is a harsh dose of reality. Here are the TV ratings for Skate Canada International. This is in an Olympic year with three Canadian world medalists competing!

Fri Oct 25: Skate Canada — 228,000 TSN
    Sat Oct 26: Skate Canada — 666,000 CTV

The break down of those numbers aren't easily accessed publicly but no matter how you cut it these are bad numbers. Especially when you consider they likely skew older. The disconnect to the casual fan is really bad. And TV numbers matter for visibility and sponsorship, and for that matter, staying on TV. One can only imagine where these numbers will be next year, especially if high profile skaters (a bit of an oxymoron apparently) retire.

The inaction of the federations and ISU is killing this sport.

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you got the numbers from the following site:

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/you-like-ratings-we-have-ratings/

If you look at the ratings of other sports, figure skating is really not doing that poorly. It's doing better than a lot of sports, like curling, NBA (ha!), soccer, etc. CTV's ratings were on par with several regular ol' CFL games. Not bad.

Also, figure skating attracts different demographic--i.e., women, a demographic that may not otherwise watch TSN, TSN2, RDS, or RDS2. For those networks' long-term growth, that may be why they want to have figure skating.

3. Mont

Mont Member

You can't compare to TSN figures, only to CTV. For an evening on CTV, that's not good. Comparing to sports or other time slots is not that relevant either. Its to what else could be on. I would imagine that in prime time, anything under 1,000,000 is weak.

I don't really buy the female demographic argument because I bet its also older (like me). Its what sells advertising and older demographics don't.

4. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

You can certainly compare how FS does on TSN with how other sports do on TSN or Sporsnet. And FS does not come off particularly poorly. You can compare how FS airs on CTV or CBC with how other sports do on CTV or CBC. And again, FS does not come off particularly poorly.

I have no clue what CTV normally airs on Saturday evenings--I'm assuming reruns of other shows like the main US networks. How do they do ratings-wise? I'm sure constant reruns of Big Bang Theory does very well for CTV, but a rerun of BBT does better than most shows on TV, anyways. Not something figure skating should be worried about.

5. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

On Saturday evenings CTV normally airs W5 (investigative reporting) and American drama series (Castle, whatnot, I don't know - I don't watch this kind of television). CTV shows BBT reruns every weekday night - that I do watch.

I watched Skate Canada on CTV this year and let me tell you, it was a whole-day affair. IIRC it was on from 2pm (possibly earlier) to 6pm, then 7-10pm. I wonder how many viewers only partially tuned in.

6. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Hmm... interesting! I call myself a fan, and used to be crazy about catching each and every competition, grand prix event on cable and recording everything and rewatching them over and over again. Nowadays, I barely have time to even watch the grand prix, I'll youtube a few notable skaters that I want to see, and that is pretty much it until Worlds or Olympics! :S

7. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Or you could look at it as 1.9% of the population tuning in :)

8. Mont

Mont Member

Or you could say comparing main network to main network it got crushed by Hockey Night in Canada. The bottom line is there is lots of press about how it used to draw over a million consistently on the CTV network and could compete with HNIC but it is in a steady decline. This is simply fact and not one that is a good one. So take issue with me if you want but if something isn't done to stop the decline, a huge issue is coming. And soon.

9. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

Do you have the source for FS rivaling HNIC?

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It was a broadcast of a Grand Prix event, not a broadcast of a national or world championship or the Olympics. (And a poorly promoted broadcast at that.) I would be very surprised if ANY Skate Canada broadcast ever had ratings comparable to Hockey Night in Canada.

I don't deny that figure skating broadcasts are drawing in fewer viewers, and that's a problem, but I don't think these numbers demonstrate the problem.

11. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Obsessed fans are watching live on line.

12. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

I wonder: does watching CBC coverage of a sporting event (streaming live or watching later on their website) count toward their total audience numbers?

13. overedge

Whenever I've seen ratings that include broadcast and Internet viewing, the two kinds are always presented separately. And I don't know if Internet views can be given the same sort of estimates for audience demographics that broadcast views are given (e.g. X percent of the audience in a certain age group, or Y percent of the audience having a certain household income).

14. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

These ratings don't sound troublesome at all for a GP event. This isn't Worlds. And it's beating out a ton of different sports. Not to mention that the internet has made watching skating on TV fairly obsolete to many fans.

15. Mont

Mont Member

Completely disagree. First, HNIC was close to 2,000,000 on CBC. Second, maybe beating other sports in gross numbers but in terms of age brackets of interest to advertisers, I really doubt it. And I couldn't find all of the ratings for worlds but the one's I could find weren't any better. Lastly, I don't believe internet viewings are that high and there have been studies that on good properties, it does not take a bite out of TV ratings. There numbers are not good news.

16. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

Is anybody actually surprised that figure skating audiences are nowhere as big as HNIC? Seriously. It's not a fair comparison by any means. And I would still like to see evidence to your earlier contention that FS at one point did rival HNIC.

17. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I cannot believe that anything rivals HNIC - or that anything ever did. I have often felt that I am in only Canadian who has no interest in it.

18. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

Make that two!

19. overedge

Sources, please.

20. Mont

Mont Member

21. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

eurosport - cause for concern :D

german eurosport speakers mentioned during the grand prix, that there will be no live feed rom european championships in budapest.
    every evening there will be a summary 'hour' of the day, starting 11pm. ouch.

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Why is there a doom and gloom view of figure skating? If we think figure skating can compete with soccer, basketball, baseball and the likes of team and highly masculine sports, we are hallucinating. If you think it is bad in Canada (which I personally don't think so judging from the local news), it is non-existent in Australia. As far as I am concern, being a f.s. fan, my ability to access live streaming is a joy.

23. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

From the article:

And current Skate Canada ratings:

And the problem is...

So, it's no longer competing with hockey--although if you were a Canucks fan back in the late 90's, no doubt people would think Shae and Elvis were more entertaining. Oh no's.

24. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

It IS disappointing how skating popularity has taken such a downturn in Canada. I seem to recall such rabid audiences in the 90s during their Nationals and Worlds in the Kurt v. Elvis era.

25. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

There is no way that at this point in time figure skating could ever rival Hockey Night in Canada. Just because we all know it can't (literally EVERYONE I know watches HNIC), doesn't mean that skating is dead and that no one is watching. That's like comparing Kevin Reynolds to Patrick Chan. We all know one is more popular, but that doesn't mean the other doesn't have significant merits of his own. The quit if you're not on top mentality has to stop. Skating is holding its own, just as Kevin Reynolds is in my arbitrary example.

It is relevant in Canada... I can tell because I have more and more non-skaters talking to me about skating, Tessa and Scott, Patrick Chan, results etc. I see more and more posts about skating results on the facebook walls of non-skaters/casual fans. And it's on the news and radio after every event, and it's still in the newspapers quite a bit. None of these things would happen in a sport that no one is watching.

I wish this doom and gloom attitude would go away. The judging system is better for skaters, worse for casual fans. The popularity will not rival the 90's, but it doesn't have to.

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  26. overedge

sorry, duplicate post

27. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

This is where live streaming really does come into it's own. This year's Australian Nationals will be streamed live, probably via Youtube. Without it no-one except those who are there would see it because the TV stations are not going to run it. The advantage of doing it this way it cost very little to run a live stream so is pretty cost effective way of doing it. It has the advantage of providing great accessibility to see events. I think there probably needs to be a greater focus on doing it in more creative ways so that you still have a good revenue stream.

28. Mont

Mont Member

I guess none. As long as declining interest and therefore tv revenue and sponsorship is of no concern to you. Or that it remains on a major network in the future. Oh and all of which means money for development. Then no problem at all.

29. Mont

Mont Member

Oh and the taped Grand Prix events were the other Grand Prixs, not skate Canada. No Skate Canada International program was drawing that kind of low number. Doubt the other Grand Prixs are drawing that now. You have to actualy read the article. You can try to argue all you want but face it, ratings have tanked and this is not good news.

30. Peter_K

Peter_K Active Member

The first thing I was taught ages ago when I was in college aspiring to a career in the broadcast industry:

The numbers themselves are meaningless unless you put them into context. If the advertising is reaching its target audience, smaller numbers are probably better than huge numbers of viewers with misdirected advertising.

No doubt the raw numbers are smaller than they were almost 15 years ago, but the broadcast industry itself has changed as well. With more choice, PVRs, internet, the numbers will never be as high as they were. But if you're just going to go by the numbers, I'd say getting 600K on a Saturday night isn't doing too badly.