turns in the other direction

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by treesprite, Dec 1, 2013.

1. treesprite

treesprite Member

I'm getting really frustrated. How can I get used to turning in the direction that isn't natural to me? It's not just a matter of things being harder that direction, it's a matter of having a mental block or something. When I was a kid I could do spins both directions, but now I struggle just to do a mohawk that way. Sometimes I can turn that direction, but other times I go to do it and my feet just won't do it. Off-ice and on-ice suggestions?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

10 in the hard direction for every 1 good one.

But really, I don't know. I suffer severely from this issue.

3. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

Repetition. There's no easy way. You have to force yourself to do the harder turns.

4. treesprite

treesprite Member

If I could make my brain develop some kind of orientation to that direction, that would help a lot. But what is the best way to do that? Twirl around that direction in the livingroom a hundred times a day? Maybe make myself do 2-foot spins in that direction a million times?

5. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

Common lore says it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become expert at any one taske. Repetition is really the only way to strengthen and retrain the brain and body.

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

One thing that might help is doing a 2-foot turn in that direction that mimics what you are trying to do. I had to do that with rocker choctaws when I started learning them (both directions :lol:). Otherwise, extra parctice on the 'bad' side is pretty much a given, like everyone else already mentioned.

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The 10,000 hours thing is not supported by research - but what the research does say is that unless you are exceptionally talented at something, you have to work for a long time to become good at it, and also be determined enough to persist during the times when it's not working or you're getting frustrated with your progress.

ioana's suggestion about doing the move on 2 feet in the "wrong" direction is a good one. That might help get you accustomed to what it feels like to turn in that direction, and when you are more comfortable with that, you can work on the move on one foot.

9. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I work on my "opposite" side at least twice as much as my natural side. Coach says opposite side never feels natural. You just have to work through it.

10. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I think it is just lots of practice.

For me I struggle with dizziness on my "wrong" side. I can do consecutive turns in my "direction" til the cows come home, or alternating turns, but turns on a circle in my bad direction I get to maybe 3 or 4 before I start to get dizzy.

And sometimes I just chicken out and I find this to be the case - it's my upper body that seems to fail when my feet/lower body are willing.

I have heard coaches say the same thing, but also that you can train it out, e.g. when i first learnt to skate, I used to find left inside 3 turns easier than right inside 3 turns, until I started learning to jump. Then because I was using the right inside three turn as the entranc to a toe-loop I was practising it more than the left until eventually the right started feeling more comfortable.

11. Skittl1321

I agree, for me it is almost definitely the upper body.
    It isn't a dizzyness issue for me- I can turn in a circle a million times in my living room going CCW, but even a two foot turn (at speed) is horrible on the ice. Except for outside mohawk (which just sucks regardless) I can do all the basic turns CCW, until I try to go faster, then my body coordination is just lacking. A lot of people have a leg that is better than the other- but right or left, as long as it goes CW, I'm good.

It was horrible for synchro, as I was one of the stronger skaters (on my low level adult team) but I couldn't do a two foot turn. And we only ever turned CCW because enough people couldn't turn CW almost at all. (In hand holds, I could get the turns done- when skating fast, I usually turned counter rotational- the coach said since I did it without missing steps she didn't care- but I hated so much that I couldn't do what everyone else did easily.)

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

For me the leg determines more than the direction. For back inside threes, I vastly prefer the right foot (CW) even though I generally prefer CCW, just because it's harder for me to find my balance and alignment on the left leg, and the left knee doesn't bend as well.

I can do a beginner-quality forward upright spin on my right foot, opposite direction, but I don't expect I'll ever be able to do a backspin in that direction.

Hm, and I can do back inside loops in both directions but the other edges only CCW and not consistently. But maybe RFO would be the next most likely, since at least it's on my strong leg.

Eye dominance is the other thing that makes it hard for me to go clockwise. Probably an issue with the spins and loops, and definitely with quick forward crossovers as well.

13. Skittl1321

I can do about 5 revolutions of a 2 foot spin and 3 of a 1 foot spin in the wrong direction, plus a waltz jump. But it was hell learning to do these things!

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

One of the things I have discovered if you take skating up as an adult is by that stage your body positioning is set eg. I turn out better on one leg but really poor on the other. So it makes it difficult to do something as simple as a Mohawk. And then I find Ina Bauers are easier on one side but damn near impossible on the other.

Practice practice practice is all you can do.

15. fan

fan Well-Known Member

also - dont drop your shoulders on the opposite side. stand tall on your skating leg.

16. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Yes, you have to pay attention to your entire body positions and make sure your opposite side does the exact same movements as the natural side. It's easy to get caught up in how uncomfortable it feels rather than focusing on making your body mirror the other side.

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Repetition is the key, and off-ice training. You need the same muscles in both legs, both arms...
    Then, work the same position for both direction.

18. treesprite

treesprite Member

Good point. I don't know if I'm doing that or not, but I'll remember now to make sure I don't if I do.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I agree with everyone- it takes practice. That's why I was always made to try a move in both directions, not just one. I am right handed but when I took up FS, my left side was stronger for turns but for spinning I was definitely right handed. Everyone has a favored side, and it takes more effort & practice to bring up the other side.

20. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I'm an adult skate and sometime I help other adults who're also trying to get more comfortable turning the "opposite" way. Most of the time I find the problem is with their shoulders - they tense up and lock their shoulders and upper body, preventing them from smoothly turning the direction less comfortable to them. Focusing on relaxing the shoulders and opening them in the direction they want to turn is usually key.
    Another thing that helps is trying the steps and turns with little or no speed, and progressively increasing your speed when turning.

And of course, practice practice practice :)

21. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

This a thousand times. Back inside threes on my right foot are the bain of my life, and it's so easy to see why, on the left foot, my upper body shoulders and head all move in the correct direciton for the turn, and on the right foot they are barely even sqaure. I'm tense as anything in anticipation of the turn and then when my coach tells me to look to the right, instead I bring my right shoulder back to my chin instead of actually looking to the right :wall: :wall: I know, this, my coach knows this, but can I tell my body what to do....apparently not.