Tulsa, Oklahoma Bids for 2024 Olympic Summer Games

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Jul 1, 2013.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Tulsa, Oklahoma has placed a bid for the 2024 summer Games. Tulsa is, admittedly, a long shot. They lack the required number of hotel rooms, and the price of the games is, according to the NY Times, "...more than half the state budget." They'd also be the smallest city to host in the modern era. However, what Tulsa says they do have going for them in a major way is space. Frontier as far as the eye can see.

The likelihood of the US even getting a finalist, though, is not good:

Tulsa plans to hold their games just before July, earlier than normal, to avoid both tornado season and their extremely hot summers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/s...lsa-a-mid-american-olympic-dream.html?hp&_r=0

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

The US should just stop bidding for a while imo. If the chances of even making it as a finalist are bad, then stop wasting all that money preparing a bid.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I will be thrilled if a small city like Tulsa could pull this off, but I doubt it will happen.

4. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Sorry, but :rofl:

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That will never happen. I don't see them giving it to such a small city. People from other countries will have no idea where Tulsa is. Do they even know Oklahoma? Moving it up also causes tons of problems with sports calendars but I suppose with years of advance notice it would be worked out by all the sports. It is a shame the US wont be hosting for the near future. I think Chicago was the last big hope and it got eliminated immediately in the final round of voting.

6. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Who on earth thought this was a good idea?? I mean, if they're looking for somewhere near there, Dallas/Fort Worth I could see although the weather would be utterly brutal. Oklahoma City, while pushing it, might even be believable. But Tulsa??? Seriously, it's a lovely pipe dream, but that's all it'll ever be, Tulsa Olympic Committee. Those words are even strange to type.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

IMHO The US should just stop trying to bid for big tournament because it is obvious the corrupt bloated administrations of both FIFA and the IOC got a stick up their rec***m about the US. The slimy critters that run these organizations are out of touch and care only about lining their pockets. I mean Qatar a one city state with 100+ degree temperatures during the summer hosting the World Cup?! Could only happen if there was heavy bribery behind the scenes. Sorry I will never get over that one. :slinkaway

8. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Or the US should put forward better bids. :p

9. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Oh please, if you don't win the bid, it is all about corruption. Let us face it, US did a really terrible job with 1996 Olympics, and for 2002 Olympics US won the bid because they bribed the IOC members. Do you think US should have got FIFA world cup?, why?, there are plenty of countries that are passionate about Football than US. On top of that US hosted A world cup in 1994, for a country that is not a football crazy (or soccer crazy) that is more than enough for half a century, especially considering how long countries like France and Germany had to wait to get their second world cup.

For Qatar had a support a huge region that is very passionate about football, and is the favourite sport in the region. They also managed support from other developing countries. Same with RUssia, football is exceptionally popular in that country and has a support of the people. Please come out your delusional world where these two organisations are warriors of human rights defined by few developed countries.

I hope one day FIFA world cup will be held in China, if and only if they improve their national team and they get the support of the public.

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Well I still say, sour grapes or not, that Qatar should not be hosting the World Cup because the temperature in summer is too high and it is a one city state. But I don't have a problem with Russia hosting and I'm sure they will do a fine job. Also I'm Canadian. :p

11. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I'm just bummed because by the time that the US finally gets a Summer Olympics, I'm going to be old with responsibilities and won't possibly be able to spend oodles of money to go. My years of youth and wild reckless abandonment are being wasted, I tell you, WASTED! :p

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Because when the IOC rejected Chicago and NYC, they were actually saying "Give us Tulsa!"

That world cup was the most successful world cup of all time in both attendance and money earned.

13. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Hey now, Tulsa hosts WWE matches every few months. How much harder can an Olympics be?

galaxygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  14. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I have a great time the few times I've stayed in Tulsa. But my first thought was that putting the Olympics in tornado central may not be the greatest idea. :shuffle:

15. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, and after that was water is very far away for the sailing events unless they use some of the local lakes

16. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Active Member

Water would be a huge issue for Tulsa. I travel there regularly for my son's sports, have to cross the Arkansas "River" to get to his playing fields, and note every single time that there is no water in the channel even after heavy rains. I don't know where on earth they would do rowing and kayaking, let alone sailing as mentioned. Even the bigger lakes are an hour or more outside the metro in extremely rural areas where most people camp, and there are no hotels for any money. There is also no major professional sports team there, so they don't have any large stadium. In OKC, we have the Chesapeake Arena for basketball, US rowing already uses the Oklahoma River as a training site, and it is a 15 minute trip to Norman where the OU football stadium has capacity for over 80,000. Plus, OKC metro/Norman is like gymnastics central. OKC would at least be plausible, though I don't know who in their right mind would want to come here in July.

17. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Los Angeles got screwed as they were better prepared to make a bid, but no they had to go with Chicago! As for Tulsa? They would go broke it they tried. How about a joint city bid ?

Los Angeles-San Diego :inavoid:

18. BigB08822

How did London do? Does anyone know if they were able to do well financially from hosting? Most cities seem to nearly go bankrupt trying to host. London seems better able to recover from losing money but I wonder if they managed to do better and break even or even make money? It may also be many years before we know the full extent of it, as well.

19. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I lived in Tulsa, and I can't see this working. The infrastructure isn't there. Would much rather they spend the money on their crappy public schools and super crappy roads....

20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Why would LA get an Olympic any time this century? They already had one and it's a horrible city for traffic (and air stinks even just walking from airport terminal to terminal.) San Diego is nicer but you'd have to move it back to keep it out of wildfire season (anywhere in SoCal, anyway.) At least Tulsa isn't ugly and overcrowded, though I'd be afraid of 1. Tornadoes and 2. Where the heck are they putting the boating sports?

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

They had 2 in the 20th century.

22. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

London and Paris both had 2 in the 20th century and that didn't stop London from getting the Olympics this century, or stop Paris from almost getting them in 2008 and 2012. Not to mention that Paris almost got their 3rd in the 20th century, but lost to Barcelona.

23. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.a...or_say_city_isnt/20130703_11_A11_CUTLIN994821

:wuzrobbed

Maybe in 2028? :saint:

24. BigB08822

I don't think it would be an issue for L.A. to get another Olympics considering that there are less and less places willing and able to host. Well, I guess places are willing but few can financially make it a reality. L.A.s biggest problem will probably be traffic and air quality but Beijing made it work.

25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Even if Tulsa were to be considered, I don't see the IOC going for moving the games up to just before July, as the Tulsa committee is proposing. It would screw up the season of many, many sports.

26. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

It's hard to estimate, because so much of the money put into it wasn't just about creating the Olympic Park, but more wider regneration of the area. So there was a lot of money invested in transport which was prompted by the Games which won't necessarily recover its costs directly, but does improve the connectivity of the area and thus aids economic development. At the moment I think the biggest positive in London is that nothing is going to be standing empty like in Athens or Beijing. The Olympic Park is already being used for festivals, the athletes village is being converted into housing to be sold off, the stadium has a football team as a new tenant in addition to already having some major athletics events lined up, the swimming pool & velodrome is being prepared for use as community facilities/training venues for athletes. I think the key is that it was planned to have a long term legacy which will do more than just cover itself financially, but instead bring new opportunities & regeneration to the whole area.

27. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I think one big, big con to LA getting the Olympics again is the fact that they have practically NO public transportation. It's drive or die, which with the increased traffic that the Olympics would make, would be beyond headache-inducing.

Chicago really would have been perfect. :(

28. BigB08822

That is very smart of them and how all cities should handle hosting the Olympics.

29. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Certainly LA doesn't have the public transportation of a New York, London or Paris, but after a recent trip there I respectfully disagree with you on that one, I managed to take the bus quite a few different places from where I stayed. I got around just fine on LA Buses for the duration of my trip :)

30. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member