TSN (Canada) to expand - more skating coverage?

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Skate Talker, May 13, 2014.

1. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Active Member

TSN (The Sports Network) in Canada already has 2 feeds, TSN and TSN2. They recently announced the planned roll-out of TSN3, 4 & 5 this fall if approved.

The timing seems a bit strange as they have just lost their contract for most NHL Hockey games, the mainstay of Canadian sports television. The article in last week's Winnipeg Free Press indicates the channels will automatically be available to those who currently have TSN (of course the individual cable companies may have something to say about that.) It also says this will give them the opportunity for more complete coverage of events, specifically mentioning the possibility of offering more than one game on the same draw at curling events. Hopefully it would also mean more complete coverage of Skate Canada International and the Canadian Skating Championships. Got my fingers crossed.
    manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Yes!

Hopefully, we get more of RDS too. Where I live, I get RDS but not RDS2 (which often shows Skate Canada and Canadians).
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Could some kind Canadian contact them, ask what their broadcast plans are; and encourage them to include more skating?
  4. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Right now, they only have the contracts for Skate Canada and Canadians. The CBC has the rest.
  5. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

What I'm hoping for (at least) is that one of the new TSN channels broadcasts all the flights from Canadians. Probably too much to ask. Sigh.
  6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Since TSN broadcasts sports like darts, pool, and lawnmover racing, I'm not holding out too much hope that skating is going to magically move up their list of broadcast priorities.
  7. princeton123

princeton123 New Member

lol wut??
  8. overedge

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Canadian Tire is still a sponsor of Skate Canada, right? Not sure if this new Canadian Tire / TSN partnership will result in any more skating.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/cana...unce-multi-year-digital-partnership-1.1838610

10. overedge

Since Canadian Tire sells lawnmowers, perhaps we will now see skaters in lawnmower races. That should reach all of TSN's demographics :p
  11. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member