TSL's Interview with Mary Beth Marley

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 10, 2013.

1. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

As horrible as ED's are, I'm somewhat relieved to hear that she had a specific reason for quitting, which hopefully means she is on the road to recovery. Mary Beth has left the door open for skating so she must still enjoy it.

2. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Yeah, the job of a coach is to essentially turn the skater into a machine that performs optimally. Maybe not enough time is spent on the "human side" of the skater, and maybe there's a lack of understanding of how much that "human side" affects the athlete's ability to perform. It's not that I think skaters should be best friends with their skating coaches or be assigned to psychologists, but maybe some slightly smarter choices could be made in how these athletes are trained for their mental well-being.

Marley mentions being weighed several times, and I'm trying to think of the benefits in weighing a 4'8", 80 or 90 lb child. What were they trying to accomplish? Were they hoping that if she had a target weight in her mind at all times, she would somehow get herself to fend off puberty? As much as it would be ideal for that 2A to feel the same every day or for the pair guy to lift the same weight every day in an effort to create consistent training, it's inevitable that a girl is going to grow. Why exacerbate the emphasis on weight that naturally exists in skating?

I'm not blaming skating or the people around her for all her problems. And she was thrown into a tough situation that went beyond simply just skating. But this does remind me of the harsh reality that some people really don't always do the best job they could in dealing with young athletes who tend to have enough emotional issues as it is.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  3. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I would love to see her fully recover and return a la Akiko - for the sheer joy of skating.

hanca, PeterG, falling_dance and 5 others like this.
  4. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Coming back from hiatus to post about this. Re: weigh ins... in my experience, no matter how much one outwardly projects an image of having a healthy and understanding attitude toward them, I have never met a skater for whom weigh ins were a healthy experience, or at least one that didn't mess with their minds. I'm not surprised Mary Beth Marley shocked everyone with her revelations; it's astounding how good skaters are at pretending everything is ok on the outside. Smiling through the pain and pretending it's ok it a huge part of skating.

5. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Well, with a fighting spirit and love of skating like that, I really hope she will make her way back to the competitive ice. That was a very good, and endearing, interview. What a lovely person.

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If she didn't use the terms "eating disorder" or "disordered eating" in the TSL interview, in this icenetwork interview from Skate Detroit she was quoted,

7. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I love how she is clear she's not done and not letting this setback defeat her. I think she can get there. She talked about how there are healthy ways / habits to employ to get to the right body type and weight to skate pairs. Everyone knows you do have to control your weight to maximize your ability to do tricks but again there is the right way to do that. If she succeeds, because of her height, she will be a very desirable candidate again as a pairs partner. Never enough girls...always a lot of boys looking. I have no doubt she'll be back fighting for a spot on the Olympic team in 2018