TSL's Interview with Ashley Wagner

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Loved the interview and her openness and honesty. Nothing she said sounded planned or packaged or scripted; all sounded very sincere. Made me more of a fan.
    Loved the "cat lady" comment. It's interesting; most posters here don't have much cred with skaters, yet many of them do read the comments and seem to be at least somewhat impacted by what they read. I guess because we are the voices of the fan base.

R&J. One of the "overused music" choices I do like and I think it's a fit. However of all the versions of R&J, I do feel the most power in the "A Time for Us" sad theme. I never tire of it in skating. I hope she gets the 3/3 out there and has a kick butt season.

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The best cut of any "Romeo and Juliet" that I've heard or seen was Kozuka's Rota R&J, where the "Time for Us" theme didn't show up until the very end. I'm very much looking forward to hearing David Wilson's cut. There's so much more to the Prokofiev than the crashing chords of the opening, the big love theme (Balcony Pas de Deux), and the March of the Capulets.

3. gr8sk8101

gr8sk8101 New Member

Yes.

4. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Did anyone else feel dubious when she talked about being the bedroom scene Juliet who is in love for the first time? That seems like a stretch for Ashley. I don't care for her histrionics on ice, but I would rather see her try Body Heat than R&J. Although I did think she described it well. Maybe she will surprise me.

5. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Yes. Also liked many parts of G&G's LP in 1990. Too bad they never skated the program really well, but it was pretty decent at Euros.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Um. No. Ashley can do sexy very well.

7. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

:watch:

Interesting. Please, do tell us more about the A.Wagner/S.Hughes split...

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Spun Silver

Sexy is Body Heat (look it up if you are too young to have seen it). Juliet is a lot more than sexy. Personally I don't see Ashley as either a natural Juliet or a great acting skater (unlike, say, Sasha in both regards). But YMMV.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I agree but so is the Black Swan (in a different way, of course), yet she did just fine. She was a terrific Black Swan, in a program that made her career, many would say. It seemed to me she meant passionate Juliet, not innocent starry-eyed Juliet. I think Ashley can do it.

10. Spun Silver

The Black Swan was much, much more suited to her style than Juliet - IMO. But I hope you are right.

11. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yeah, kind of how I feel too...

Skaters trying to pull something off that they can't do <<<

Still, I'll reserve judgment until I actually see it. Prefer Wagner when she emphasizes speed and power though.

12. Spun Silver

Exactly.

13. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

:cheer:

This was great. IMO there's something really likeable and genuine about her. Definitely rooting for her this year.

14. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Ashley, the next time you feel inclined to use the word "pansy" you might hesitate and remember that many of your fans are gay.

I think she is "miscast" as Juliet, but I hope she is able to pull it off. If she doesn't have a 3/3 by now, I doubt she is going to have one, at least a consistent one. The Olympic year doesn't seem to be the best time for getting a new jump. Uneasy feeling this is not going to be a good year for her, but hope I am wrong. Re Shirley Hughes, I think if Ashley had stayed with Hughes, she would be about where she is now and probably have a 3/3.

15. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:huh: :rolleyes:

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Is pansy a slur?

17. Spun Silver

Yes, a rather old one.

18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

A pansy to me means a wimp so i don't see how it's a slur. People get so uptight over every little thing said nowadays.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

"Pansy" is an older term for "fag" or "faggot" and in its time had the same force.

20. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Jammers: while I agree with you in theory that folks should lighten up, Websters actually lists the secondary definition as:
    usually disparaging
    : a weak or effeminate man or boy; usually disparaging : a male homosexual
    I can understand why some might object, but Ashley probably has no idea of this secondary definition as it is somewhat antiquated.

21. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

IIRC and I could be wrong, but apparently she caught wind that Ashley was secretly shopping for a new coach and instead of waiting to be replaced she just ended it herself.

22. gr8sk8101

gr8sk8101 New Member

That is semi-correct. Suffice it to say that working with another coach for a weekend is fine, as long as you let your primary coach know you are going to do it. Don't have that second coach call the first one for information on the "plan" when your are sneaking around. Truthfully, this was the straw that broke the camel's back. When Ashley mentioned in the TSL interview that her mother is a "Bear" that is really describing her mother in the nicest of possible terms.

23. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Can you remember offhand when in the interview she used it?

24. Skittl1321

It was when they were talking about her not doing the triple triple at worlds, which I think was near the beginning.

25. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Thank you! ETA: "I was going for [the triple-triple] and, then, I, um...was a pansy."

I suspect you're right to suppose that she doesn't.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  26. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  27. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this being true.

28. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

29. Skittl1321

I guess I would interpret being called a pansy as a "delicate little flower".
    (Certainly seems less offensive than her saying she 'didn't have the balls' to do the jump.. As that implies being girly is bad and manly is good; but flowers are delicate and have no gender)

30. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I took note of her saying it, simply because I never hear anyone our age using it :lol:

i can't say it offended me.