TSL's Interview with Ashley Wagner

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Part 1 is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39dmCQ2ciY

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Can't wait to watch it!

3. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  4. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

It's a great interview. She loves being in front of the camera and comes off as smart, funny, spontaneous, and self-aware. Also very aware of what others say about her. I had not realized that she intended to quit skating if she hadn't won Nats in 2012. I always love female athletes who say they want to win and second place is not good enough. I wish we could see this Ashley on the ice but these days she is so packaged it's almost boring. But I like her better after seeing this.

I guess they will get to the tough questions in Part 2, like why she broke up with Philip Mills and how she assesses her Olympic chances. Oh yes, and what it is like to skate with Yu Na.

ETA: She has a wicked phrase for skating board posters: cat ladies who sit back in ther armchairs and post that her legs look big today. Ding! (Although I don't think I have commented on her anatomy.)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Entertaining interview for sure. Can't wait for part 2 which I hope will come out sooner rather than later.

6. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Anyone knows when part 2 will be uploaded? By the way, thanks for the interview! I enjoyed it!

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Actually it's CRAZY cat lady. And my mind immediately went to the crazy lady who threw cats at people on the Simpsons.

8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I'm sure most (if not all) skaters at that level are aware of what others say about them...regardless of whether they WANT to be aware or not.

But few (if any) choose to address them directly...

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Part 2 is up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdFwnh-JB5o

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i really enjoyed how open she was about her highs and lows. i dont think TSL really pushes people but she was very open. i was never really a fan of her skating but i like her if that makes sense. i cant believe people tweeted her to tell her how bad they thought she was at nats last yr.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I have a feeling she is purposely more open than she is comfortable with just to show Dave and Jenny. I had expected her to say she was upset with what Philip Mills said but not that she was disappointed and felt that he was unprofessional. She is probably right and is entitled to feel that way of course, I just didn't expect her to say this out loud.

Actually I am most bummed that she seems to be committed to keeping the 2axel3toe instead of taking Dave's suggestion of repeating the 3flip3toe in both programs. As Jenny would say, her 2axel is scary.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If Wagner was being politically correct with her remarks toward Mills, she did not sound scripted or robotic. In Part 1, she enthusiastically gives him full credit where it is due for her "Black Swan" program, and even in Part 2 when she discussed the split, she goes out of her way to give him credit for training her, even saying that Nicks gets some of the publicity and credit that was due Mills. She has a sophisticated and mature point of view, looking at Nicks' and Mills' decisions from their point of view, even when they affected her deeply.

I just wonder if Nicks had made his decision about not traveling any longer before she decided to work with other choreographers whether she would have chosen to stay with Mills as both half-coach and choreographer, to maintain some stability. As it turned out, it sounds like Arutunian is a great half-coach for her, and if they do move rinks to where she has more direct competition, as she said herself, it might be a good incentive for her.

13. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I think Raphael is much more than a half-coach. She certainly spends more time with him than Nicks.

14. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I love Ashley's honest and unfiltered personality. I also like that she embraces her inner goofball and adorkable awkwardness. That quality makes a person more charming I believe. She's a beautiful young woman and I wish her well in this Olympic season. Her LP sounds like it could be intriguing; I can't wait to see it! :)

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Love the interviews! Thanks! :)

Hubby went by the computer, looked at the screen and said: "Is that Ashley's mother?" :EVILLE:

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

OMG:

:eek: :rofl:

17. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Ashley, but I really hate Jenny's habit of asking her main question and five follow-up questions all in one shot. Fortunately, I can mute her entirely because Ashley's replies are smart, articulate, and good-humored.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Suze

Suze New Member

I have new-found love for Ashley!

I had no idea she was so funny and lively. Her responses were flat-out hilarious at times but even during serious moments you knew she was keeping things real. I look forward to her programs this season and hope she gets that triple-triple squared away. She is going to have a great season. I know it.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ashley is so real and so fun! :respec: And so realistic too. Best of luck and may your Olympic dream come true!

Wait, did Gracie Gold really want to name the tano lutz a Gold lutz??? :eek: :eek: :argue:

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  20. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

That was a fun interview. I didn't know about Ashley snubbing Caroline on the podium at junior worlds. Why bring it up though but not even ask her to comment on it? Regardless, I really enjoyed this interview. Great job everyone. :)

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

So I've been thinking that the Prokofiev R&J is a great choice for Ashley. The Montagues and Capulets theme has such dark undertones--which would suit Ashley and I am guessing what she meant by "the bedroom Juliet."

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSxpxjMQ9c

Incidentally, it's the one Prokofiev piece I love and am really looking forward to the program. As to her SP--definitely thinking outside the warhorse box here, for the Oly year, no less. When is the season going to start already????!!! :wall:

22. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

She comes off as pretty dismissive/disrespectful towards Shirley Hughes. I didn't like that.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

She does, and she doesn't: at one point she credits both Hughes and Hill for bringing her skating to the next level.

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think they were trying to get her to explain it but they brought up both the 2009 Jr Worlds ceremony incident and the 2010 Nationals K&C incident in the same question and of course she jumped to explain the latter right away and forgot to address the former (even though she jokingly said she loved them for bringing it up), which was a waste.

I do agree with her that sometimes there are simply explanations for things but people are always inclined to believe or are more interested in the juicier stories. Perhaps she already hugged her backstage and didn't want to engage in formalities? Perhaps she simply forgot?

I wish they would ask her whom she would pick as the most likely winner of the 3rd spot and whether she currently plans to skate beyond this coming season...

25. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I loved it!

26. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Did Shirley Hughes fire Ashley?

27. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I think Ashley has made the perfect progression from Shirley Hughes to Priscilla Hill with Irina Romanova to Mr. Nicks with Philip Mills and now to Rafael Arutunian with Shae Lynne Bourne and David Wilson. Sometimes the first coach one has had turns out, in the end, to be the best one one ever had, and sometimes the last coach is the best, and we will never know until Ashley's career is over if she has feelings one way or the other except that she has already mentioned good things about all. In fact so far, she has been nothing but gracious and ladylike in talking about all of the coaches and choreographers she has had. This whole interview was fabulous and representative of the fine sportsman Ashley is. I think her let me go get it and not bear a grudge attitude has helped her elevate her skating levels and grace. I wish her nothing but the best for the remainder of her career. Loved the piece here, which was actually just Ashley being Ashley.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There can be a best coach for a skater at each point in his or her development.

29. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

OK - 2 questions:

Rafael is leaving Lake Arrowhead and they will follow him to the Toyota Center where Evan trains (I assume this is FC's rink, then) ?

She mentions 'Kira'. Is that Kiira Korpi?

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

1. The only thing she knows for certain is that he'll be leaving Lake Arrowhead, but the rumor, told to David Lease by a skating mom, is that he'll move to Toyota, and she talked about what it might be like for her to train there with Lysacek and Nagasu.

I don't know anything about California driving patterns, except that they suck, and miles can be deceiving. Even in the Seattle area, Bellevue and Redmond (the East Side) are about 8-10 miles away from Seattle, but that could mean 1.5 hours of driving 3-8pm. Is the commute from Laguna Beach to Toyota Center feasible, or would she need to continue the two-apartment deal or move somewhere in between?

2. Yes.