TSL interviews Jamie Sale

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by unchat123, Sep 11, 2013.

1. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

2. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Here comes the endless debate about 2002 pairs LP again.

Well, very good interview as always. I liked how Jamie acknowledged the mesmerizing and effortless qualities of B&S's skating and I also agree with her on some of the critics she made, especially on the IJS. However, I find it amusing that she doesn't want to talk more about Johnny Weir because she doesn't like drama. Yeah, sure :lol:

Anyway, always great to see the wonderful highlights (in particular the extracts from Tristan & I, Love Story's beautiful throw triple loop at SLC, and the exquisitely choreographed end of Orchid :swoon:).

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  3. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Fabulous interview. I'm very impressed with Jamie's responses.

Keep up the great work, TSL.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There have always been two views on professionalism: either to push the boundaries and risk mistakes or to aim for a comfortable program that the skater can do on little sleep, after being cramped on an overnight bus, despite jetlag, on different ice (or stage) conditions, when ill or off, unhappy or sad. A ballet dancer at a gala can do "The Dying Swan" instead of the "Don Q" fan or "Esmeralda" tambourine variation and still have the audience eating out of her hands (or his, if it's the Trocks).

It's fine that Sale and Pelletier decided to push the envelope on lifts; good for them. If Rochette is doing "comfortable" jump content she knows will work, while working to become a more outgoing and versatile performer, I'm happy to pay to see her do this, and the screaming crowds where I've seen CSOI aren't complaining. I don't remember Sale and Pelletier doing many jumps as professionals, so they were cherry picking their elements, and the smaller show arenas make some of the harder jumps very difficult, which doesn't apply to S/P's throws, for example, and Pelletier can control lift ice coverage by limiting the number of rotations. Comparing the new professionals to Browning is ridiculous, because he's had over a decade more performing experience, and when he pushes the envelope, it's a 2A sequence and a 3T. (Or maybe 3S). He's that good that it doesn't really matter, and from what I have seen of at least the CSOI cast, they're aiming for that kind of performance quality. Did jumpless "Nyah" not count?

I think her comments about Weir and "drama" should be taken in context, which is that he gets the attention for not doing much in skating in NA, and the US media gives him the attention they should be giving other skaters. For example, they could write more articles about Lysacek's comeback :p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  5. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

ITA. Really enjoyed the interview and how Jamie handled herself. They asked some tough questions, especially about her personal life, but I feel she was pretty honest and handled it well. It was really interesting to hear how they handled the year leading up to the Olympics. Surrounding themselves with positive was obviously a great strategy. I really enjoyed watching some of the clips of their skating, and Anton & Elena's too. Makes me want to go back and rewatch the whole performance. I'd forgotten just how much I loved Love Story!

6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Loved the interview too. Aww, Orchid...I haven't watched that program in ages.

I also love it whenever Jamie mentions how David never. missed. a. jump. Even when he tripped before the double axel in the gpf, he was still able to execute it properly.

7. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I thought Yuka Sato was this week. :(

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

That question about Putin's anti-gay propoganda laws was totally botched. It's clear she didn't really know anything about it.

I disagree that S/P would have won under IJS.

Still, good interview. She seems happy.

9. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Well what else would you expect Lori Nichol to say? :lol: ;)

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Given the inflated transitions scores that have been thrown around, I wouldn't be surprised if they would have.

11. Sasha is DIVINE

Sasha is DIVINE New Member

She seemed to not know much about a lot of things.

12. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Like words with more than three syllables.

Snarks aside, I loved the interview and I love the way Jenny and Dave are able to get skaters to answer honestly and not repeat the same PC responses we've been hearing for the last fifteen years.

13. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Not every skater wants to be a politician or even discuss this issue.

14. Sasha is DIVINE

Sasha is DIVINE New Member

The delusion is strong with this one. How she can even try to justify that they deserved to beat B&S is laughable. And her tirade against Johnny seemed to come out of nowhere. I take comfort that it seems like David dumped her ass.

15. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

The things she said about Johnny were so terrible. I hope it isnt since she is homophobic. She should meet Johnny and give him a big hug and apologize.

16. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Have never been a particular fan of hers, but she gave a good interview. For someone who says she doesn't like drama, she certainly created a lot of it at Salt Lake City with her whining . Love
    Story always seemed more exhibition than competition to me. I think the judges got it right. I agree the media should show more interest in skaters other than Johnny, especially with regards to gay rights. Interview someone like Matt Savoie about it once in awhile.

17. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Classy. :rolleyes:

The delusion is indeed strong, but it's not coming from Jamie... :lol:

18. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I was all set to dislike this interview, as Jamie has always rubbed me the wrong way, but I'll admit I like her much better now.

While I was never a Sale/Pelletier fan (I loved B/S), I'm one who thought--and still thinks--they deserved gold over B/S in '02. But I guess I'm just a sucker for a clean program. ;) Interestingly, I went into the archives of this forum, to see what posters here said about the results at the time (I wasn't an FSU member back then). It was 99% in favor of S/P. Oh, how times have changed...

Overall, I thought Jamie's TSL interview was really good. I give her (and David P.) credit for handling a difficult situation (their divorce) so maturely. She obviously doesn't follow skating that closely these days, but she admitted it. As for her comments regarding Johnny, I don't see that she said anything particularly inflammatory. She complimented his skating, but said she'd rather hear from those skaters who have been regularly competing over the past few seasons. Even if she doesn't like him, the answer was respectful enough and seemed like an honest one, at least to me.

19. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Joannie Rochette is the last professional skater that I would ever criticize (of the relatively new crop). She is always very polished...and more than well her her way to becoming the Yuka/Kristi replacement.

I enjoyed the interview. I rolled my eyes at the "drama" comment..because I could.

20. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

She was very honest in her answers--I liked that!

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

me neither, but those other pros, they need to do more of them ::mitchell::

i think her answer to the sochi question had nothing to do with the question that was asked. i dont think she has a clue about why there is controversy over sochi. it sounded like she was talking about dont ask dont tell.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

For one, they tend to let their guests speak and don't interrupt with the next pre-planned question.

One of the principles of negotiation and interview techniques is to use silence, since people tend to keep offering information and explanations to fill the space.

23. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Wonderful interview! I think I came away from this interview with a better understanding of what makes Jamie Jamie. She helped me realize that most skaters are in their own complete bubble and only focused on what is going on in their individual lives; that doesn't necessarily mean that they are ignorant, but instead means they are focused on their own goals and minding their own business, which is a very good thing. I also appreciated her blunt honesty and wise philosophies on life. I fear I may have misjudged her at times in the past and have had false impressions of her, but now I see her in a better light.

LOL, Jamie feels the same way I do about the Evans and the Johnnys; I also don't like the "drama" and we should be focused more on the serious athletes who are actually out there COMPETING to be Olympic hopefuls. Enough of the talking about competing. :shuffle:

24. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Whether you like her as a "person" or not, you have to acknowledge that S/P did not, in fact, give up most of their difficult tricks. They may have stopped performing side by sides jumps in their pro routines, but they certainly kept up their throw jumps and difficult moves, some of which were more difficult than allowed in eligible competition where they would have been illegal. Right to the end their programs were well thought out, well choreographed and performed. They did not let up as pros at all as she quite rightly claims, even when they were going through a difficult break up. Their programs got a bit darker in that period and they stopped gazing lovingly at one another, but they were still intense, well rehearsed and difficult.

25. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Well said! I've always been fan of Jamie's both as a skater & person..and have often times felt she was misjudged. She definitely fits the saying of "love her or hate her.." Agree, this was a wonderful interview by both Jamie & the TSL team.