True Blood

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by screech, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I thought the episode was a little less exciting than the first 3.

My favorite character is becoming Jessica. I'm hoping there is more Jessica and Hoyt interactions. A few of her quotes in that Southern Vampire drawl:

"Is it my fault my fangs come out when I get turned on?" after Hoyt leaves.

Flipping around in her coffin on the airport tarmac. "How the hell does this thing open?!?"

Bellman Barry shows up at the hotel room with a blond guy..."Male B-". Jessica grabs blond guys hand and says "That's for me." I guess she ordered a late night snack.

Jason becomes a "Soldier of the Sun". Jason and Sara's escapade must be coming soon. Jason was having a sexy hallucination of her dancing around the grill while he talked to her husband. I also found it funny how Jason has "no clue" when it comes to the bible.

Funny to see Lafayette flipping and dancing around after he drinks Eric's blood to heal his leg..."Thank you baby Thank you baby Thank you baby ...aaaaa." He musta caught a good buzz from Eric's very old blood. :rollin:

Oh....and Eric was in a black tank top last night. :grope:

2. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

Lafayette getting V buzz :lol::lol:

Episode went too quickly for me but am getting *very* bored with the orgies--how many times can you roll around and grovel in the dirt/food/mammaries of others before it's time to get to the freakin' POINT!

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Yeah. They're making a big deal of what was a minor thing in the book. Now it's just gratuitous sex. Which, I'm not interested in unless it's Eric. With Sookie, not Layette.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I keep missing and can't make out what Jessica made the limo driver yell out in the hotel lobby after she playfully glamoured him.

She says "All your worst dreams will come true unless you yell out...."

What did he yell out?

5. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I was a bit underwhelmed as well. Loved the Lafayette V healing and the humping with Eric's amusal. and love how Lafayette is so straightforward with everything he knows about vamps.

Loved Bill in daddy teaching mode and love Jessica now.

Still hate Maryanne though. Can't wait to see what happens with Daphne/Sam and her 'knowledge'. Love that the orgy though kind of made Arlene and Terry finally start canoodling.

Keep em coming HBO!!

6. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I think one orgiefest was necessary to get the point across that Marianne Is Not What She Seems, but two was going into Skinemax territory and didn't advance her plotline at all. They established that she was evilllllle when she tempted Andy Bellafleure back into the bottle--anything after that was just gratuitous. It actually got to the point where it was just kind of silly. I mean, did we really need to see Jane Bodehouse's boobs while Erik's shirts remained closed the entire show?

I demand justice! I demand equality! EQUALITY IN NEKKIDITY FOR VAMPS! :soapbox:

7. screech

Haha I agree! Though we got to see Eric's shoulder blades tonight (interesting tank top for a man, but no complaints)... so we're slowly getting there!

The one good thing coming from the Maryanne stuff IMO is we're getting to see a 'human' side to Andy, which I like.

And I love that the Eric/Lafayette potential has been kind of quashed and explained - he's intrigued by what's important to Sookie. Plus since Lafayette has now had his blood, Eric can track him...

8. rfisher

I've been robbed of Bubba. I fear I'll be robbed of Eric. Oh the inhumanity. :drama:

9. screech

Maybe they'll include Bubba in later seasons...

Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) was robbed of an Emmy nomination. True, a lot of the show's acting sucks a lot of the time (coughANNAPAQUINcough) but Nelsan always brought it. Even Rutina Wesley (Tara) was usually pretty awesome.

Though no True Blood love, I'm hoping we'll get to see some Alexander Skarsgard at the Emmys since his miniseries Generation Kill was nominated for best Miniseries.

10. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

11. rfisher

He was pretty, but I wish I'd quit watching before she started singing. Dead bodies isn't art or amusing. She is just too bizarre.

12. screech

I'm not a fan of hers at all, but it was her most tolerable video (and not just because of Alexander). Dude looked hot but should have been nakeder.

13. rfisher

ITA

14. rfisher

Great episode. Now, I assume that was Sophie-Anne at the end? Are they making her Bill's maker instead of whoever she was in book 3? That will be interesting.

Eric's line *what's in it for me?* was classic Eric as I read him in the books.

15. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

That's not Sophie-Anne, that was Lorena, Bill's maker.

I find not much is happening in each episode/that the stories are not really advancing very much. I suppose it's because Alan Ball is working towards weaving together three story lines. Once these all intersect I suspect the pace will pick up. Right now, however, there's only a little bit that gets done in each story line.

I hope the pace picks up soon, though because it's getting a bit dull, to be honest...

16. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you! It's glacially slow for an hour long show with no commercials! (OK - more like 55 minutes. But still that's a good deal more storytelling time than the 41 minutes the networks get each week for their "hour" long shows)

4 episodes have gone by and:

Bill and Sookie are still having sex and arguing about Jessica. After 4 episodes the only thing that has changed is that they're in Dallas having sex and arguing about Jessica.

Jason has not progressed much beyond spending several episodes in some kind of mental foreplay with the church leader's wife, and constantly being surprised by his progress.

Tara is in the same cycle of "I like these people/I'm suspicious of these people" since Episode 1.

La Fayette languished in the basement and has progressed as far as mopily returning to Merlotte's.

Daphne is a shape-shifter. Next!

Was it really necessary for us to see Bill mulling three different times about what Godric means to Eric? I don't read the books and I picked up on it the first time it was mentioned.

Don't even get me started on the redundancy of Mary Ann.

17. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I think it's moving a bit slow as well, but I'm still enjoying the show plenty. I guess the fact that Eric is freakin gorgeous helps :swoon:

18. shiningstar

shiningstar Active Member

Evan Rachel Wood is playing Sophie-Anne, so it is definitely not her at the end!

19. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I actually thought the pace improved in this episode. Episode 3 annoyed me, but this one added: (1) Barry the bellboy; (2) the conflict among the Dallas vamps; (3) Sookie's plan to infiltrate the Fellowship of the Sun; (4) Jason actually cheating with the reverend's wife and finding out about the arsenal at the FotS; and (5) Daphne being revealed as a shape-shifter (though why hasn't Sam asked about the scars on her back?). I also really liked learning Eric's origin.

I am annoyed with the Tara storyline and am concerned that it will continue at a glacial pace.
    My concern is that if that storyline is resolved as in the books, it will basically remain pretty static until Sookie finishes with the FotS and returns to Bon Temps.

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Are we supposed to know what Maryann is at this point? Why all the s-e-x whenever she's around?

My gratitude to anyone who can help this first-time watcher and new fan....

21. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

Dear the Makers of True Blood,

Please hurry up and get to the Eric/Sookie storyline. Or an Eric/anyone storyline. The bottom line is: more Eric please.

Love,
    flutzilla

22. rfisher

Yes. She's a maenad and she gets off on chaos and people's excesses.

23. rfisher

I think this is where people who have not read the books lose out. We who have read them can fill in plot holes. Mary Ann isn't really all that important in the book. AB has chosen to make her storyline (and Tara's by default) considerably larger than the books.

The internal troubles of the Texas vamps is important in the book in regards to what happens later. They're bringing Bill's maker in early. She doesn't appear until Book 3 and in fact is the motivation for the trip to Tennessee.

24. screech

It is going slowly, but Alan Ball has said the entire 2nd season takes place in 2 weeks, so it's understandable. I kind of like that they're basically showing all the details.

LOVED the Eric viking flashback scene. In an interview Alexander Skarsgard said that was his most fun scene to shoot because it was entirely in Swedish and some of his friends got to be in it with him. His line of 'wherever I am, there will always be women' was classic! Plus we got to see his legs this time! Slowly they're pleasing fans of his...

I loved Jessica and Hoyt's chaste relationship, especially compared to all the sex of Sookie/Bill and the base running of Jason/Sarah. Her cuteness of just wanting to hear him read his comic book to her was awesome.

Sookie/Bill were kind of boring. They were just sex/let me protect you/I'm a woman/sex/don't die/waitress/sex/be careful. Basically, the usual.

I didn't mind the FOTS scenes this week - they progressed a bit. Now, are Steve/Sarah really fighting or in it together to hook her up with Jason or mess with his mind... And I love how Jason showed some moral character in attempting to shoot her down. He's growing up! Plus he helped Luke out, which I don't know if old Jason would have done.

Yes, it was Lorena at the end. That explains how she could hear the Bill/Sookie sex even though the room is double soundproofed. The preview for next week shows more of Lorena.

IMO much better than last week. Keep em' coming!

25. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

:respec: ITA......he needs WAY more air-time. :grope:

26. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

One of them was Swedish, the other was about as Swedish as Pam. :lol: I was pretty glad it was subtitled, because I honestly couldn't even make out what SkarsgÄrd said, let alone the non-Swedish viking. The pint sized Dane was surprisingly hot though!

I also loved the Jessica/Hoyt phone call. :) Jessica annoyed the hell out of me at the end of s1, but she's really growing on me.

27. screech

Haha love your mention of Pam. I read an interview with Alexander where he said she sounds like a Russian prostitute when she tries to speak Swedish. (and of course he was asked to elaborate on how he knew what a Russian prostitue sounded like... that in Swedish TV/Movies the villain is regularly a Russian prostitute)

It was just so sexy to hear him doing a lot of speaking in his native language... He can dress like a viking and talk to me any time!

I'm kind of surprised they haven't moved his name up in the opening credits with the 5 main actors (Anna/Sookie, Stephen/Bill, Sam/Sam, Ryan/Jason and Rutina/Tara). I would think that he and Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) are 'main' actors on the show so should be listed before the alphabetical listing of the minor characters. Heck, even Deborah (Jessica) should be listed before the alphabeticals too. Especially since they are all featured in every episode this season.

But then again, they don't even have Kristen Bauer (Pam) in the opening credits yet, so what do I know.

28. screech

I've been reading/watching interviews with the cast online from their current time at Comic Con (well, mostly things with Alexander) and there have been some interesting tidbits...

Non-blatant spoilery stuff:
    - Alexander confirmed that he does gat naked this season, saying that they tested him with a 'sock' and 'tiny nude underwear' for his nude time, saying he preferred and felt more comfortable being actually naked
    - The show still hasn't been picked up for a 3rd season, though all signs point to 'yes' (I mean, it's HBO's 3rd highest rated series EVER, after Sopranos and Sex and the City, so they'd be dumb not to)

Spoilery stuff:
    - When asked if the love triangle between Bill (Stephen Moyer), Sookie, and Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) will get played out on screen as it does in the books..
    “Yes,” said Alan Ball. And, that is all he said on the topic. Stephen, though, said, “I’m not sure that Bill is just going to roll over and let it happen. I think he’s going to fight his hardest and maybe not be quite as polite as he has been.” When asked why Eric is so smitten with Sookie, Alexander joked, “Just look at her. I’m sorry, Stephen.”

- Possibly the best spoiler ever: a trailer for the rest of the season can be found at http://www.hbo.com/trueblood/video.html. In it we see FotS/Jason stuff, messed up Tara/Maryann/Eggs stuff, Messed up Sam/Maryann stuff, a (subtly) shocking Sookie in bed scene (look behind her) some Bill stuff, some Sookie/Bill/Lorena stuff, and our first glimpse of Evan Rachel Wood as the Vampire Queen of Louisiana.

As for where I get all this info, my favourite sites for True Blood stuff are:
    *my absolute fave* http://www.truebloodguide.com
    http://www.true-blood.net
    http://www.truebloodnet.com

New episode tonight! YAY!

29. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to the Eric/ Sookie stuff too. He is just yummy. Really really yummy.

30. rfisher

Thanks, Screech. I loved Eric in the books and AS is :swoon:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.