True Blood

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by screech, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

2. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I think Evan is the perfect casting choice for the role of Sophie-Anne. I hope she lives up to expectations...

3. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I don't know. I think she is actually a bit too old. Wasn't Sophie-Anne turned as a young teen? (Sorry, I don't think that is really a spoiler.) I guess they will probably just make the character a little older. There are some practical problems about using a teen or even someone just past 18 for the role. First, they need to be able to circumvent child labor laws. Second, since Sophie-Anne would not age, a teenage actress would be a problem since she would certainly age over the life of the TV series.

I do wonder how they plan to integrate her into the show.
    IIRC, the character in the books didn't show up until pretty late in the series. If they are casting her now, they probably intend to move around some of the New Orleans details. That probably makes sense in light of Katrina, since most of the show seems set in the post-Katrina world.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am really aggravated. I wanted to watch this and I figured it would be available on On Demand. They have already taken the first 6 episodes of season 1 down! How ridiculous since they just began season 2. Grrr...guess they lost a possible viewer.

5. shiningstar

shiningstar New Member

I've been watching it online, but not via On Demand. I've watched it using Graboid. Google it and it will bring you to the site that will tell you all about it. It uses a lot of bandwidth but the quality is good. You can choose to stream or download. I downloaded because then you can watch as many times as you want. I don't want anybody to miss watching this show!

6. BigB08822

Thanks, I might check it out at home. Don't want to use it at work as this computer is already slow enough.

7. reckless

I assume they took the On Demand down because the DVD of Season 1 was released a few weeks ago. They probably don't want On Demand to hurt DVD sales.

8. BigB08822

That makes sense but I still hate it. :lol:

9. shiningstar

shiningstar New Member

10. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Me too.

This is the first show to come along in a while where I can't wait for the next episode.

It was torture waiting for season 2 to start.

11. shiningstar

shiningstar New Member

I know! As the episode was finishing on Sunday, I couldn't believe it was over already! It's painful waiting for the next episode.

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:lol: Have you read the books?

Normally, (Harry Potter for example) I hate when books are turned into movies or TV shows. I hate Bones (although the only relation to the books is the name of the character), but I've liked True Blood so far. What they've changed or added haven't taken anything from the original storylines. Yet. I think there will be substantial deviation this season, but I'll wait and see. I'd watch just for the opening credits and song.

13. shiningstar

shiningstar New Member

I agree with you about the books. I think this is the only book-to-movie/tv adaptation that I actually like.

14. screech

I love the adaptation. I love how they keep the general idea but still kind of change it so the viewers have no idea. Like with the dead body in the car - they veered from the books and I love it! Though that probably means we won't get any Eric in pink spandex at an orgy with Sookie, but still, I love how the fans of the books can still be surprised.

And a note about the books, I read that book 10 will be released May 2010, and I think Charlaine Harris is also releasing a book of short stories, one which involves Pam and Sookie going to a strip club! (unless I misread what I saw on a fan site...)

15. shiningstar

shiningstar New Member

We better be seeing some Eric-Sookie action! They are one of my favourite parts of the books!! Interested to see who they will get to play the Weres if the series stays on that long!

16. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

haha, I know what you mean. I love that opening song and the credits with it.

17. screech

Did you notice that it seems they added a few extra brief shots in the opening credits? The song length is still the same, but I think a few new or different shots are in it (in addition to a whackload of new cast names... though Pam still isn't in the credits)

18. screech

Just a few hours until the next episode...

And here's a teaser/promo for episode 2 that I came across! Enjoy (and love Eric's manners when taken aback).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwzIngkSdJ0

So excited!

19. reckless

The opening credits are amazing. I also love seeing what song they use in the closing credits. Ever since they used Lynyrd Skinner's "That Smell" when Sam was rolling in the bed sniffing the sheets, I've paid particular attention to the final songs. They usually crack me up. (Last week's Randy Travis song was particularly fitting.)

Tonight's episode had a lot of great dialogue. Lafayette's speech during questioning to the vampires -- "a Jew at an Al Qaeda pep rally" :rofl: -- was sheer genius. I like the idea of making him into a Vamp. He can perform a lot of roles in the books.

20. rfisher

As long as it's not Bubba's. I'm really looking forward to Bubba.

21. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I heard no bubba.. some infringement issues.

I'm really enjoying Jessica, her imitating Bill is just freaking good.

Also, I don't think we book fans are gonna see Eric in pink tights and I doubt the "bullet sucking" incident too. I'm anxious to see where Alan Ball takes Eric.

We have some "homoerotic" scenes upcoming involving Eric and lafayette. The scene was filmed without Alan Ball and Neslan Ellis said that Alan has been "teasing" and "joking" with him and Alex for some upcoming things in season 3. I'm beginning to think that Eric is gonna be shown as an opening Bi character. Also, Alex S said in an interview that he will be naked this season and Eric seemed fond and admired Godric, the missing sheriff.

Which I have no problem with, it would a very interesting twist.

22. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

yeah Lafayette's line about the jews and al qaeda had me laughing out loud. just watched the episode. i liked this one even more than the first. sookie is in troooouuuble now with Bill lol. probably won't be hard getting her to go with Eric now.

23. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I actually liked Season Two better than I thought I would, because I think it's deviated enough from the books that I can really separate them.

As Louisiana's resident cheerleader, I'll also add a :respec: to the opening credits. If you could encapsulate northern Louisiana in three minutes or less, that does it perfectly--racism, religion, and rauchiness. If I end up teaching kids 16 or over someday in some other place who ask me about life in La, I would totally show them that as an example.

24. screech

Loved it! Regarding Topaz's spoiler tag
    In the books Eric has been with men after being 'made' so it's not out of the question. I think that he won't be really considered 'bi' in the show because he has to be focused on Sookie, however I'm not saying he won't go there. Eric was a bit interested when Lafayette said he'd be 'your vampire'.

Personally, I think they should have ended the episode with the Lafayette cliffhanger. And I love Eric and Bill together - the unintentionally 'gay' moment at the store was hilarious! Bill not understanding the clerk's reaction to their conversation, and Eric just amused. Plus... hubba hubba!

Though the reason for his haircut doesn't make sense - couldn't he just wash out the blood? But I'm not complaining - it brings out his hunkiness even more!

And I love Jessica now. Still don't like Maryanne though - I think it's the actress that bugs me.

And as for Andy
    He's an alcoholic? He said why throw away (I forget how many years) of sobriety... I never knew that and it's not in the books either. I kinda like that he has that side to him.

And a spoiler for those who haven't read the books and speculation for those who have...
    In the books the maenad attacks Sookie as a 'message to Eric.' I guess if Maryanne is the maenad which is what they're making her out to be, that's not going to be the reason at all - so I think it will be being pissed off for asking Tara to live with her that causes the attack

So, to sum up..
    Eric = Hotness
    Eric + Bill = hilariousness
    Eric + Lafayette = Awesomeness
    Jessica = growing awesomeness
    Bill = mean daddy (who totally could have taken Jessica shopping with him. I mean, does he know her size even?
    Sookie = nice stepmom, trying to win over stepdaughter
    Eggs = please keep shirt off

25. Ashtony

Ashtony New Member

Same here, Cant wait get into it, with a hot cup of tea of course.

26. rfisher

I do. I like Layfayette and don't have a problem with him being a vamp since he was a very minor character in the books. I do not want him with Eric. :drama: Eric is my erotic fantasy and I don't do three-ways. :drama:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  27. rfisher

It's CH's protrayal of NW LA and SW AR that makes her books enjoyable for me, especially the first 2-3. She used the supes to fill in the background. One of the reasons I think the last two books have been less interesting is she's focused more on the *supernatural* stuff and less on telling a good story about a regional culture. I'm from central AR and totally get the Wal-Mart and Piggly Wiggly references along with insular cultures. The people can be prejudiced but it's often a case of not opening themselves to strangers. You can live in some small towns for 20 years and still be considered an outsider. That being said, they are generous and will help anybody in need. There will be 10 or more churches in a small town and always at least as many *juke joints*. Get drunk on Saturday and go to church on Sunday.

28. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I just started watching this series. I have general questions. Sorry, if they are stupid-

How is someone 'turned' from human to Vampire? Is it a big process, or is it as bite on the neck?

Is Sookie a vampire? She has sex with Bill (?) and he bites her on the neck.

29. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Olympic...I would so recommend watching season 1 on DVD. Its way too much to explain.

The old vampire lore of bite on the neck.=vampires is not the TB universe.

30. screech

Being turned to vampire:
    A vampire must drain the human of their blood then the human (I believe on the verge of death) drinks from the vampire. In the books the vampire must rest for 3 days before rising, but in the show Jessica just slept for 1 night in the ground before rising.

Sookie is not a vampire. She is just a telepath who is drawn to Vampires becasue she can't read their minds (and she loves Bill of course). She and Bill have shared blood but she has not been drained. She does experience side effects when she drinks his blood (heightened senses and sex drive, heals faster, etc) but they last for just a period. Bill drinks from her regularly during sex, but I believe she has just has his blood once, and that was after she was beaten to a pulp for having saved his life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.