True Blood

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by screech, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Any fans of this :kickass: HBO show here? Season 2 starts tomorrow and I'm pretty darn excited...

2. shiningstar

shiningstar Active Member

ME TOO!! Since watching the first episode, I've been hooked on the show and the books! Bring on Season 2!!

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm waiting for season/book 3. Eric. :swoon:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I saw the preview at the movie theatre where the girl slurps the blood off the cut on her fingertip. :shuffle:
    I'll pass.

5. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Can't wait ! I bought the first 2 books....haven't read them yet though, but I can't wait for tomorrow :) (actually monday for me....because ill be downloading the episode online)

6. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

Love this show! I'll have to DL the shows, though. I have't read the books yet, but I've always wanted to...

7. screech

Oh, the books are amazing! I prefer the first 4 books to the last 5, because after those ones it starts to lose focus on vampires and focus more on other forms of supernaturality (though vamps definitely play a huge role still).

I think that's the 2nd movie in the Twilight series.

IMO the best description of True Blood would be blood, sex, drugs and vampires, all with southern drawls (and lots of nudity).

8. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I don't watch this but hear a lot about it from my sister, who's co-owner of one of the big True Blood websites. :)

9. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

I've read the Southern Vampire series since Harris began it. I haven't seen True Blood. I'm always unhappy when there are fundamental rewrites of characters on tv/movie versions of books. Should I buy the dvd of season 1 or will it make me go postal?

10. shiningstar

I'm similar in the way that I cant stand when people change something for the sake of tv/film. The character changes did annoy me. I still like the show though, because Sookie and Bill are pretty much the same and the show follows their storyline properly for the most part.

11. screech

There are some differences. Like Sookie is basically a size 2 instead of a size 10, and the woman who plays Pam definitely doesn't look 19, but I think they did an awesome job with the casting (IMO the best casting was in Eric - fits the description to a T). They completely changed Tara, but IMO they kind of needed to do that to give Sookie a female companion, and Tara is now a major player.

The first season is basically the same as the book. I've heard the 2nd season will be loosly based on the book (ie, they go to Dallas) but other than that it has its own stories. Which I kind of like, because even for the avid fans of the book, you won't know what's coming.

12. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Thanks. I just can't decide. So they found an actor to play Eric who looks like a huge gorgeous Viking? Yum.

13. rfisher

Close enough. My only complaint is that the actor didn't seem to capture the humor of Eric based on the books, probably because the director hadn't bothered to read them either. :lol:

I didn't have a problem with the changes in Tara and even Layfette. They were minor characters in the books and bringing them to the forefront didn't change Sookie or Bill's storylines, except the whole Tara and Sam thing just didn't work for me. They should leave Sam alone.

I'm not certain about Jason's involvement in the Fellowship of the Sun this season. That's a significant departure of character and plot. I'll reserve judgement and wait to see what they do with the story.

14. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Well, he's Swedish and huge at any rate. :lol:

15. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Is there any point in watching the second season without having seen the first? Is there a quick way to catch up on who's who and what happened?

16. rfisher

Sookie: barmaid with the ability to read people's thoughts (not something she enjoys)
    Sam: owns the bar where Sookie works (Merlottes): is a shape shifter whose favorite shape is a collie. He's in unrequited love with Sookie but copes well.
    Bill: 160 yo (thereabout) vampire originally from Bon Temp. Some of his direct descendents still live there, although they don't know he's their great, great, great grandpa. Bill is in requited love with Sookie. She saved his life, he saved hers, she's had some of his blood (part of the whole saving thing) which creates a bond with them.
    Eric: 1000 yo former Viking vamp: Important in vamp politics and owns a bar in Shreveport called Fang Banger. He's Pams maker. Book one was all about Bill/Sookie. Eric assumes a bigger role from here on out.
    Jason: Sookie's brother. A good old Southern boy womanizer. Sometimes dumb as a rock. Always in trouble.
    Tara: Sookie's friend. The HBO show really elevated her role. She's got all sorts of conflicts with her mother, had an affair with Sam and is the wise-cracking funny sidekick.
    Layfette: Also an elevated character. In the show he's the cook at Merlotte's and Tara's cousin. Flamboyant, gay and trades vampire blood (which is like crack). May or may not survive this season as he sort of theatened the wrong politician with exposure.
    Other assorted charcters include the sherriff who doesn't like Jason or Sookie and a deputy who is Bill's descendent (doesn't know).

Now you can watch season Two.

Season one introduced all the characters, saw Sookie's grandmother murdered (she raised Sookie and Jason) along with several other women. Jason was the prime suspect but the murderer turned out to be the boyfriend of another barmaid at Merlottes (Arlene).

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  17. shiningstar

His bar is called Fangtasia!!! A Fang Banger is, well, a person who likes to bang vampires!

18. rfisher

Oops. Sorry. :lol: I haven't read one of the books in a while. (I was disappointed in the latest installment).

19. screech

Apparently the director started the series because he loved the books! They have said season 1 was kind of an 'intro' to Eric - he was such a minor character. But we're supposed to be seeing his other sides (apparently even his naked side) this season and he's in every episode from what I've read.

As for the actor playing Eric, may I present to you Alexander Skarsgard.
    As Eric Northman
    Again as Eric
    More Eric
    And and just a hunky photo

And as for being a tall hunk of Swedish meat: According to IMDB, Alexander is 6'4 and born in Stockholm. He was also supposedly thisclose to being cast as Thor in the upcoming movie, and was in Zoolander as one of the model friends who dies in the gasoline fight incident.

20. shiningstar

I think the casting crew deserve an award for casting Alexander as Eric. He's pretty much exactly as I picture him in the books. Here's hoping we do see some naked Eric this season...and also that they stick to the storyline of the books somewhat for upcoming seasons! Spoiler if you haven't read the books (highlight): I want to see the Sookie-Eric action!!

21. screech

Eric is my favourite character in the books and I love Alexander as him. Though apparently Eric will have short hair this season (but supposedly it will be explained). Which doesn't make much sense, because Vampires are supposed to be how they were when they were 'made' (otherwise wouldn't Bill shave his sideburns?) Ah well, short hair shows off Alexander's hunkiness even more.

22. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I like the HBO series OK, but I'm not as happy as a lot of others are with it. I'm OK with Paquin as Sookie. I didn't think I would be, but if Harris hadn't ever described her looks, I'd be fine with it. The only lingering problem I have with the casting of Paquin (for people that read the books)
    is Sookie is supposed to be smokin' hot and attractive to the supernatural because of her fairy blood. While Anna Paquin is NOT an ugly duckling by any means, neither would I think that men would be fighting over her either. I wonder how they're going to handle it, or just drop that storyline completely.

I also hate, hate, hate, hate, hate what they did to Jason. Jason is selfish and spoiled, but is by no means dumb. After all,
    it's Jason that negotiated that Sookie got paid to house Eric.
    I also didn't like Sam and Sookie making out or the Tara/Sam storyline.

But Eric....:swoon: He makes up for much :grope:

23. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I think it's possible he might grow it out. SkarsgÄrd had unusually short hair since he was filming Generation Kill at pretty much the same time. I didn't much like the wig on him anyway, but he looked reasonably good in long hair when he was younger.

24. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  25. rfisher

Well, since they didn't kill Layfette, I guess they can lock him in Eric's dungeon for selling vampire blood, although that storyline and the stupid teenager vamp is lame and pointless. And I guess they're really rewriting the Dallas storyline to include Jason in the action. I would have rather seen more of Sam's naked butt than teenage Sam. :cool:

26. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Just watched the episode. Not too bad for a season starter.

27. screech

Lots of slowness but awesomeness in the first episode.

Love that Eric highlights his hair and gets pissy about having his time interrupted.

Now for the spoilery bits
    YAY Lafayette lives! I like Eric taking action against offenders of vampires, but the dungeon is a bit much this far for me, and kind of out of character (as Eric constantly boasts that nothing illegal is done on the Fangtasia premises).

Love that since it wasn't Lafayette it wasn't Lettie Mae that had died (the other popular guess of the victim). By looking at the body of Miss Jeanette and knowing the books, I have a hunch of who killed her. And Alan Ball has said that the viewers will know a bad guy before the characters do, so we'll find out soon...

Bill cracked me up this episode, what with his recycling talk and everything and giving bedtimes. And Jessica is growing on me. I kind of like her perky sassiness and her admiration of Sookie so far.

I don't particularly like Maryann though, but I hope she grows on me.

And damn, was that sex scene ever fricken hot! And I think Stephen Moyer has been working out, if his back is any indication. ROWR!

28. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

So this seems like an interesting series. Is the first season on DVD, and it it gory bloody or just bloody? Gory (like Nip/Tuck) I can't do.

29. screech

The first season is on DVD. It's gory but not horrendously so. Some of the bloodiness can be a bit comedic (like when vampires are slayed) and most of the time it's involved in sex.

Reading about the season premiere, it's the highest #s HBO has had since the Sopranos finale with 5 million viewers, up 157% from last year's season premiere and 51% from the 1st season finale. Go HBO!! Can't wait until next week.

30. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

I like True Blood very much ,I don't mind it being gory at times , it's done with humour.I haven't read the books though, and since I started with the series I prefer not to read them for the time being .I don't want to spoil myself.

But Eric..oh Eric... lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.