Trixie Schuba the show skater aka Extreme makeover!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by floskate, Sep 18, 2010.

1. floskate

floskate Vacant

There's always been interest in Trixie's skating; mainly because there's hardly any around so when I came across this, I thought it would make for a good retrospective thread. :)

This popped up on my subscriptions feed on youtube this week and I was absolutely staggered at the 'transformation'!!! :eek: You can barely recognise her.

Trixie Schuba 1974 Holiday on Ice
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxS9hgkj8js

Watch that and then compare to the same skater just two years before winning her 2nd European title!

Trixie Schuba - 1972 Europeans LP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwv03_sufg

2. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

Extreme makeover for sure! Most peculiar outfit for the Holiday on Ice performance though. But the hair is the best - I wonder how she felt about that? :)

3. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Holy Beyonce Hair Extension! :lol:

I also like the uber-perky muzak version of one of the most depressing pop songs ever, 'Alone Again, Naturally'.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, what climbed onto her head and died??

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The Trixi we know is still there; figures are incorporated into the program!

6. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

she looks like a drag queen! :glamor:

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, and the difference between 2002 Sarah Hughes and 2003 Sarah Hughes ? :p
    The most surprinsing for me in the video of Trixie is that I don't find her spectacular in figures in the 1974 video. :confused:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I was going to say "Nice Cher wig!" - which is essentially the same thing :p

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

And for all those who complained about the loss of the figure component and how it would lead to weaker skating, I just have two words: Trixie Schuba. Even at the ice show, the announcer showed more verve than she did.

10. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

She really is a lot slimmer! Her camels are better in 1974.

11. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Holy butt cheeks, Batman! That costume! :scream:

12. floskate

floskate Vacant

Erm it's not a wig it's a feathered head dress. Isn't that kind of obvious? :shuffle:

Anyway, while the make over is somewhat hysterical, her skating clearly improved after '72. Whoever was responsible for getting her to skate with better line, extension and flow - not to mention her improved presentation - deserved a medal!!

13. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It just shows the different the whole "look" and packaging of a skater also makes though. While her skating improved her sleaker figure, her costuming, even the wig which gives an illsuion of a very feminine hairdo, all make her just look more appealing to watch rather than with the dowdy costumes, hair, and chubbiness she had as an amateur skater.

14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Everyone in the ice shows back then had to meet a strict weight requirement, regardless if you're a gold medatlist or not. Trixie looked too thin in the 74 utube video; It must have been difficult for her to wittle down to that weight and kind of sad to see.

15. skateboy

I disagree, I think Trixie looks great and her free skating doesn't look clumsy for once. She has so much more pizzazz!

And she turned out just fine--I believe she's president of the Austrian Skating Association.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

RuTrixie :slinkaway

Her figures look impressive, but this Gershwin thing is :yawn:

17. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I had no idea that Gershwin wrote "All By Myself."

18. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

I'm with you, orbitz. She's too thin in '74 and generally kind of...ugh in that tricked out costume.

19. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

20. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

I watched her Oly LP for 2:55 and couldn't take the boringness of it anymore. It started off with me thinking "This isn't so awful" to :scream: The sidebar was Janet Lynn and since I have never watched her entire LP (seen lots of clips though, of course) I clicked it. I thought they had put her on fast-forward she was so much faster than Schuba! Yikes! It's amazing to put these two skaters in context by watching both LPs back to back.

Anyway, back to topic, Trixxi was greatly improved by '74. Thanks for the link if only to prove to me just how :yawn: she was in '72 and to inspire me to watch Janet's entire LP. :)

-Bridget

21. matti

matti Active Member

:swoon:

Trixi was ahead of her time!

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yeah, if she skated today, we'd call her "Ambien". :EVILLE:

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  23. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

It appears that she was more of a Toe jumper than an Edge jumper as it appears her 2S was the most tentative in comparison to her other jumps, the 2T and 2F.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It actually took me a minute to figure that out. The dark feathers against the dark background made it hard to tell exactly what it was.

25. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

What I disliked the most about Trixie's skating from the few clips I've seen in the past was her spins, particularly her camel. I never understood why someone of her pedigree and who's obviously a very hard worker (You don't become one of the greatest compulsory figures skater of all time without so much work) wouldn't spend some time on her flying spins and her camel and sit spins. So it's such a pleasant surprise that her camel spin is that much better in 74. And so much more personality too!

Maybe getting to be so good in figures really a lot of time, and once she stopped training them she had time to improve the rest of her skating

26. skateboy

:respec: Figures ain't easy! Trixie was unbelievable in that portion. Even Toller Cranston said she was UNDERMARKED in figures.

27. Mafke

Mafke New Member

The feather headdress (not a wig) was pretty routine for show skating back then.

28. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Well in her amateur days she was overmarked in free skating so it probably balanced out. ;) Although her placings in free skating werent too far off, the scoring (very important until cummulative scoring) was just ridiculously high for the field back then. And so many judges tieing so many skaters in free skating programs. :huh:

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I know. She got a 5.7 for technical merit in the World utube clip. The hardest jump she did in that program was a 2lutz. I'm sure skaters ranked below her were doing 2Axels.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

But she did three 2Lz's in the clip in floskate's first post.

I thought she had very nice glide in '72, but by '74, she was bending her knees a lot more.