Triple Crown Races 2014

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by skipaway, May 2, 2014.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Kentucky Derby is tomorrow. Seems to be a very competitive field this year with Santa Anita Derby winner California Chrome a deserving favorite. I like CC as well as Vicar's in a Trouble and Danza.

Hoppertunity and Pablo del Monte are scratched, so a field of 19 will go.

NBCSports network will show the stakes races prior to the Derby from 12-4pm EST.
    NBC will then broadcast from 4-7pm EST

Churchill Downs - Saturday, May 3, 2014
    Post Time - 6:24 PM Exacta / Trifecta / Superfecta / Daily Double / Pick 3 (Races 11-12-13) Super Hi-5
    Churchill Downs STAKES
    Race 11 - Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (Grade I)

Purse $2,000,000. For Three-Year-Olds
    P# PP Horse Virtual
    Stable A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer M/L
    1 1 Vicar's in Trouble (LA) 3/C L R Napravnik 126 M J Maker 30/1
    2 2 Harry's Holiday (KY) 3/C L C J Lanerie 126 M J Maker 50/1
    3 3 Uncle Sigh (NY) 3/C L I Ortiz, Jr. 126 G C Contessa 30/1
    4 4 Danza (KY) 3/C L J Bravo 126 T A Pletcher 10/1
    5 5 California Chrome (CA) 3/C L V Espinoza 126 A Sherman 5/2
    6 6 Samraat (NY) 3/C L J L Ortiz 126 R A Violette, Jr. 15/1
    7 7 We Miss Artie (ON) 3/C L J Castellano 126 T A Pletcher 50/1
    8 8 General a Rod (KY) 3/C L J Rosario 126 M J Maker 15/1
    9 9 Vinceremos (KY) 3/C L J Rocco, Jr. 126 T A Pletcher 30/1
    10 10 Wildcat Red (FL) 3/C L L Saez 126 J Garoffalo 15/1
    11 11 Hoppertunity (KY) 3/C L M E Smith 126 B Baffert 6/1
    12 12 Dance With Fate (FL) 3/C L C S Nakatani 126 P Eurton 20/1
    13 13 Chitu (KY) 3/C L M Garcia 126 B Baffert 20/1
    14 14 Medal Count (KY) 3/C L R Albarado 126 D L Romans 20/1
    15 15 Tapiture (KY) 3/C L R Santana, Jr. 126 S M Asmussen 15/1
    16 16 Intense Holiday (KY) 3/C L J R Velazquez 126 T A Pletcher 12/1
    17 17 Commanding Curve (KY) 3/R L S Bridgmohan 126 D Stewart 50/1
    18 18 Candy Boy (KY) 3/C L G L Stevens 126 J W Sadler 20/1
    19 19 Ride On Curlin (KY) 3/C L C H Borel 126 W G Gowan 15/1
    20 20 Wicked Strong (KY) 3/C L R Maragh 126 J A Jerkens 8/1
    Also Eligibles:
    21 21 Pablo Del Monte (FL) 3/C L J Sanchez 126 W A Ward 50/1

Equipment Changes: 3 - Uncle Sigh - Blinkers On
  2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'll be over in the corner being violently ill until tomorrow. How do full-time handicappers do this for a living? (Untappable better get her rear end under the wire first tonight.)
  3. skipaway

Are you betting an Oaks/Derby exacta?
  4. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

For anyone who tweets and wants to help, if you tweet to @WildTurkey #RidewithRosie they will donate $1 to Old Friends.

Untapable was great! Scary moments though when they first when into the gate.
  5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Untapable was great! And yes those were scary moments when they first went into the gate.

Here in Lexington the local NBC station has all day Derby coverage. I have it muted right now, but looks like a horse possibly threw the jockey off in the third race.
  6. danceronice

It's called a daily double (despite not being daily in this case.) I have live tickets for both the Oaks/Derby double and the Oaks/Woodford/Derby P3, plus there's a late all-stakes P4 at Churchill. And then I have a STACK of exotics (plus an "early-bird" guaranteed 4-1 win ticket on California Chrome, a WPS $4 base wager on Medal Count, and $2 P/S on Candy Boy and Ride On Curlin because Calvin made me some money yesterday, though he had the one hole then and he's out of 18 on #19 today.) I honestly think I will be too nervous to watch. My bankroll is only $150 of "real" money but because I'm wagering off winnings I've got a lot more involved...and of course, I am like that girl in "League of Their Own" with high hard pitches when it comes to P6s...can't hit them, can't leave them alone.

I don't think I can watch today. I probably will throw up.
  7. skipaway

Living in a state where pari-mutal wagering is illegal, I envy you. I wish you good luck with your wagers.
  8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Can't wait!
  9. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Horse racing is so beautiful and so scary. I want every horse racing today to finish their run just as healthy as when they started.
  10. ChelleC

Johnny and Tara are hilarious.
  11. skipaway

Johnny Weir's hat is :yikes: Tara's is nice.
  12. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Go Joe Bravo! :cheer:
  13. ChelleC

I know better than to go with a favorite in the Derby, but I'd love to see California Chrome win this.
  14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Is that celebrity "riders up" call new? seems kind of silly
  15. Southpaw

I freaking lurves the jackass silks.
  16. skipaway

California Chrome was awesome! But, Victor E...don't celebrate your win until you cross the finish line. That's one of my biggest pet peeves.
  17. Southpaw

Pretty nice exacta and triple, I wouldn't have had either. Phew.
  18. danceronice

Well, thanks to Untappable, Wise Dan, and California Chrome my Pick 3 paid all of 4.50 and I think I got $8 for the Oaks/Derby (hooray for heavy favorites :S ). However, my exacta of 5 over All in the Derby ($18) paid $170. A place/show wager on Commanding Curve paid $47. I bombed out of all-stakes Pick 4, the P6 in the first race of it, the daily double for 8 and 9. Had a very cheap 1/all in the Woodford with Wise Dan. Missed the Derby trifectas because I had C. Curve in the wrong slot (went cheap on it.)

Oh, and I hit the Derby superfecta with a $129 wager. THAT paid $5,720. I closed the day with about $6000 in my TVG account, and have now paid for my vacation I'm taking in September four times over.
  19. danceronice

Also, take the Pegasus off Johnny's hat and I'd wear it. With the pegasus, Johnny wins. But I knew that before I saw it. Johnny has the best Derby hat. There is no arguing that point.
  20. Southpaw

Nice!
  21. skipaway

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  22. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

Awesome going, danceronice! :cheer2:
  23. danceronice

That's the nice version of what Gary said and you could see how really hard Candy Boy checked...Rajiv Maragh is lucky, too, that Medal Count was backing up and not coming on or he might have gotten taken down because apparently the stewards rewatched that contact a LOT. Nothing but class from Jose Ortiz, though, with the nice remarks about Cali Chrome.
  24. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

25. danceronice

Preakness on Saturday....California Chrome draws post 3 and morning-line odds of 3/5.

Real mystery of the Preakness: Why is Ria Antonia here? Her (fourth, brand-new since the Oaks) trainer claims he doesn't want to start her unless he thinks she can win. So...why is she still in the entries?
  26. skipaway

Go Ria! I know, probably little to no chance but I like a girl in the race.
    I' ll be also rooting for Ring Weekend and Grahm Motion.
    Sarah and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Rooting for California Chrome and Ring Weekend. And Pablo Del Monte just because he's a chestnut. I have a thing for chestnuts... Never wanted one, now I have 3... So, I always root for the chestnuts! (That said, I really like California Chrome and Graham Motion so...)
  28. skatefan02

skatefan02 New Member

Yay for California Chrome! :kickass::gallopin1
  29. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Yay. I was so excited, jumping up and down... It's such a feel good story, a horse bred for ~$10, 000 now making it big time... gives hope to the little guy. As soon as he broke cleanly i really thought he'd win, jsut a feeling.
  30. danceronice

Lol, no one will get THAT deal again with Lucky Pulpit. Even before the Derby his stud fee abruptly became "private." I bet they're tacking on more zeros as we speak....

Once again I was pretty much dead on-the only one who snuck anywhere near the board that I dumped was Ring Weekend and he was no threat for payouts. Sadly Chrome's odds mean nothing paid big and at this rate might as well not bet the Belmont! Because of TV contracts TVG had to wait an hour to show the finish and couldn't show the whole race but for the last hour you could tell because the studio backdrop was just a gigantic picture of California Chrome.
  31. Southpaw

That was a more exciting race than the Derby.
  32. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Wow California Chrome broke really well, can someone else tell me is that the horse or the jockey or a combo, then the jockey kind of let things play out with another horse challenging the leader, and it seemed like a stronger finish than in the Derby. Nice ride, beautiful horse.
  33. sk8pics

I was so nervous for Chromie, and then so happy. What a good horse, doing exactly what his jockey tells him to do. And what a nice shout out to his groom from one of his owners. Obviously, history says he is not going to win the Belmont. And yet.... He has already done so much that you wouldn't have expected. Six strong races in a row. Can he run a seventh? And if he gets another good trip.... This will be exciting!
  34. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I was exactly a week old when Affirmed won the Triple Crown. It's time it finally happened again!!!

But I hate getting my hopes up, especially since Smarty Jones. It's been a few years though so ready to do so once more. :)
  35. ChelleC

I am trying so hard to not get my hopes up for a Triple Crown winner, but it's beyond time for one. It's been 36 years.
  36. danceronice

I haven't thought this might be it...well, ever, I can't really count Sunday Silence because I was ten. (I have literally never seen one--I was born in September, 1978.) I don't entirely even care the payouts were CRAP in the Preakness (Chrome's odds were just too short and no one long got in there. Though most in the 15-1 and higher range had ZERO chance anyway. Pablo Del Monte was a long shot at best, and hopefully Ria Antonia's moron owners have finally learned what every single handicapper said: this filly's not competitive against Grade One company of either sex and will do better when she's dropped into a class where she's competitive. Odds her owners will actually DO this now she got trounced in the Oaks AND Preakness: 100-1. Odds they'll go trainer-hopping for the fifth time: 1/2.) I just want to see Chrome win. I haven't liked any of the possibles this much in forever--was lukewarm on I'll Have Another, HATED the idea of Big Brown, never really liked Smarty Jones...it just seems like everything would be right-right owners, right horse, right trainer. I'm almost afraid it'll jinx it.

Of course if NYRA screws it up by denying the waiver for the nose strip and he doesn't even run...well, the New York Times will get their wish, New York racing will be DEAD. No one would ever forgive them.
  37. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

38. sk8pics

Thank goodness. I couldn't really see how they would deny the request, but you never know. Now at least we'll get a chance to see if he can do it, with all the same equipment. I think I am going to be a nervous wreck watching that race!
  39. danceronice

Chrome arrived safely in New York this morning. He's got 19 days to get used to Belmont. Now someone get Victor Espinoza up there and find something, anything, for him to race in between now and then so HE gets used to it!
  40. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Didn't the Belmont refuse the use of nasal strips before? He was lucky with this decision.