Treme--New Series on HBO

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Anyone else watching? It got great reviews in the local paper, and other papers. I mean, I'm slightly pissed because I auditioned to be "a local" and was told I didn't look the part :rofl: , but I'm going to watch it anyway.

I hope it's better than K-ville, which had every stereotype ever created and had already exhausted its misconceptions by the fourth episode. :p

Pros so far: it started out with a second-line done right (minus the dancers), doing an actual second line song, no one sounds like Paula Deen, and the passenger IS right--it's quicker to go up Esplanade to St. Claude than it is to take the interestate, so gold star bonus for the research. Cons so far: the theme song sucks and is uber rhyme-y. Not sure how I feel about the DJ--he seems out of place.
  2. zippy

zippy Active Member

I saw it and really liked it. I'm from New Orleans and the people I watched it with and I were wondering how many references would be lost on people who never lived here. Do people know about Mardi Gras Indians, or were they saying wtf during that scene? And little things, like Hubig's pies and who Kermit Ruffins is. Anyway, all the details were a nice touch that made it feel real, and it was great to finally see it, especially on the final day of French Quarter Fest when I'm feeling a bit of extra love for the city :)
  3. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

And the geographic details were top notch. I LOVED the bit where Kermit Ruffins had no idea who Elvis Costello was. And I also now want Broccato's. And a Lemon Ice. The fan bent over like that was dead-on too. I saw so many of those it was unreal.

For those of you that don't know, the tradition of Mardi Gras Indians is the marriage of two things: 1. African Americans were not allowed to parade on Mardi Gras day and 2. Many well-to-do Black Creoles claimed to be descended from an Indian chieftan in the early part of the 20th century. The two combined. Now, it's a display of color, songs, and pagaentry but until really the 80s, your "clan" of Indian was no joke--gang territorial decisions were made on that day, and it was a good day if only a handful of people died. Now, it's mostly about the costumes and the blustering. It's also a tradition that was dying, and ironically, Katrina has helped to re-start.

BTW, that was actually Vaughns. I was so excited--I used to live in the Bywater and went there all the time. Hot 8 used to play there every Thursday night. :)

I went to French Quarter Fest yesterday, zippy. It was fantastic! And it's Abita Strawberry Beer time, woo-hoo!!!

The only criticism I have of it is that so far, there's not really a cohesive plot, and there are a lot of characters to keep straight. If I wasn't from NOLA, I'd be *really* lost. LOVE John Goodman. His character is so Uptown it kills me (then again, he now lives in Uptown, but still). Like the guy who never pays his cab fare. Still don't like the DJ, but I loves his friends-with-benefits.
  4. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I really wanted to like it but to tell the truth I found it a bit boring. I think it was too long at an hour and a half.

The music was great, the acting was good but maybe it was what someone else said in that there were so many characters it was hard to connect with them.

Although I liked the older guy who was cleaning up the bar and put on all the feathers etc. He was compelling. And I love Khandi Alexander. Glad to see her back on tv
  5. zippy

zippy Active Member

Oh yeah, I was at Vaughns for the first time just recently, I thought it was great. I bet it'll start to be a lot more crowded after the show, though! Thanks for the history of the Mardi Gras Indians; I admit I didn't know some of it. I ran into them on Simon Bolivar late at night a couple weeks ago as they were getting ready for something (like literally, I came around a bend and nearly ran over a pack of Indians); it's always neat to see them out and about. Anyway, I agree it may take several episodes to get to know the characters and the different stories.
  6. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Haven't had a chance to catch the first episode yet but am looking forward to watching. Usually I'm not a fan of movies/TV shows that portray New Orleans but it seems like this group of producers actually have a clue.

Here's a great article from Dave Walker of the Times Picayune that explains some of the New Orleans knowledge that makes watching the show easier:

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/index.ssf/2010/04/hbos_treme_explained_do_you_kn.html
  7. ks1227

ks1227 Active Member

Wasn't that also true at first of The Wire though (earlier David Simon series for HBO)? And I LOVED The Wire! But you had to stick with it in order to follow the story, which developed only gradually, or know who all the characters were.

I'm rather bummed about the fact that I no longer have HBO and so can't watch this. :duh: I love David Simon and I love NOLA. Hopefully this series will come out on DVD.
  8. RedRover

RedRover New Member

Not sure this is on HBO Canada (which I don't get anyway...) but I hope it will be available on DVD in the not-too-distant future. I've been reading a lot about it thanks to links from Kermit Ruffin's fan page on Facebook & it looks very interesting.

I went to Vaughn's for the first time to hear Kermit in October (my second trip to New Orleans). What a fantastic evening!!! Can't wait to go back.

Also discovered Abita beer in the great little deli down the street from the hotel I was staying at (Royal Street Deli - corner of Royal & Santa Ana - try the Ahi Tuna Salad - soooo good!).

I lurve New Orleans!