Trayvon Martin, unarmed teen killed in own neighborhood

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jenny12, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

2. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

There is a petition going around on facebook about this that I signed.. it's shameful - but hardly surprising when every nutbar in Florida has a gun to begin with.. I think Florida is one of those places i wouldn't want to live if I was African American :shuffle:

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Sanford is only about 20 minutes from me. Nice little town, we go there a couple of times a month for their restaurants and German grocery store. Lots of community outrage over this - I don't think this is the end of it.

4. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

How can it be self-defense if the shooter approaches the "suspicious" person? Self-defense is when the "threat" approaches you. You can't go up to someone who you think is threatening and then claim self defense. But for you approaching them, they wouldn't even know you where there!

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My condolences to his friends and family. What do you say to the parents of a murdered child?

6. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I signed the petition too.

This is what infuriates me:

"Police said they have not charged him because there are no grounds to disprove his story of what happened. "

So if you want to get away with murder, call 911 to say someone is suspicious and be sure to shoot him dead so he can't contradict your story!

7. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Were there any witnesses to this killing? It seems so bizarre that no more information has come out. I haven't read anything other than the teen was unarmed and the shooter says it was self defense.

This is what makes me leery of HOAs and gated communities. I know the shooter was Neighborhood Watch, but there always seems to be some overzealous paranoid maniac in these organizations who ends up terrorizing the rest of the community. We started a tenant association in my building to deal with maintenance issues and the organizer went crazy over things that didn't even affect her, calling ASPCA, code enforcement, child protective services etc. Put a gun in her hand, no telling what she might have done.

8. MacMadame

One of the articles I read said he was a "self-appointed" head of a neighborhood watch. So he may not even have been an official member of the group that works with the police.

9. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

That sounds more likely considering how trigger-happy he was. I read that he called the police initially and they told him not to do anything, but obviously he did not follow their advice. Zimmerman was also recorded saying "They always get away" after being asked why he followed Trayvon which, to me, seems like he was already out to get Trayvon that day.

10. milanessa

He's been described as overzealous in local news reports - noise violations, parking violations, etc. None of that is under the purview of a neighborhood watch volunteer.

11. duane

duane New Member

I suspect Zimmerman hasn't been arrested because he prevented Martin from terrorizing the gated community with skittles. :rolleyes:

I am beyond outraged by this story.

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Don't forget that he was also amed with a can of iced tea.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The "shooter" had a "history" with the law.
    Even with the liberal carry/concealed weapon/use laws here in FL; why was he allowed to have a gun?
    Why would a "neighborhood watch" member ever need a gun.

This whole story is appalling.
    I hope that the DA does a better job of investigating/dealing with the case than the police have.
    My sympathy to the family of the young man.

14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

And I heard that the can of iced tea was loaded, which makes it even scarier!! Those iced tea drinkers are just looking for trouble.

/sarcasm

16. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

One of the comments on the article mentions that Zimmerman had a record of assault and battery on a police officer, is that true?

I'm having trouble understanding the police response. Even when people are shot in the process of committing a crime there is an investigation into their death. Even police officers get put on administrative leave.

17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

My heart just breaks for Trayvon Martin's family. It's such an awful and senseless loss.

Apparently so.

I imagine it's a matter of time before Zimmerman is arrested, as well he should be, but I am not at all surprised by the police response. There are plenty of prior cases in which officers got off with a slap on the wrist - sometimes not even that - for pretty appalling actions (browse here and here for examples, some more egregious than others). And those skittles must have been awfully suspicious.

Ta-Nehisi Coates has written several posts about the case over the last few days that are worth checking out.

18. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

It's true, but I thought it was worse than what it actually was. I think a cop tried to arrest Zimmerman's friend, Zimmerman mouthed off, the cop grabbed him and he pushed the cop. Ergo, resisting arrest.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This is a terrible, terrible crime. The cops completely screwed up this one and I cannot believe Zimmerman was not arrested. Self defense my butt.

Poor, poor kid.

19. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

In Florida, in most cases, for a felony arrest they have to have a warrant. Unless an officer sees the felony being committed or the perpetrator confesses, then they can do a probable cause arrest. From what I understand, the Sanford Police have forwarded the case to the local State Attorney's Office, and they are determining if pc exists for an arrest warrant to be issued. They have the option (which they are doing) of investigating further before making a determination. Also, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement is now involved as well and assisting in the investigation.

It looks like this was bungled the night it happened, as the SPD didn't have their on call detectives out immediately, processing the scene and locking in witness statements in writing.

I'm wondering how a convicted felon had a firearm. He must have had his rights restored, or maybe his felony was "adjudication withheld" and he can still possess a weapon.

It will be interested to see how all of this plays out in the next week or so. Remember as soon as an arrest is made, the "speedy trial" provision kicks in unless he waives it. They might be waiting on more info to lock in a case before making an arrest. I imagine with the media all over this guy they'll know where he is all the time.....

20. MacMadame

I would love to believe that but absolutely nothing I've read about this case leads me to believe that the police in that town thinks Zimmerman did anything wrong. There are reports from witnesses that the police blew them off and wouldn't take a full statement, that the chief of police has said that he thinks if they had to do it over BOTH Zimmerman and Martin would have "done things differently" as if Martin had done ANYTHING wrong, etc., etc., etc.

21. milanessa

Since both Christina and I live very close to this town and she works in the business forgive me if I think you're wrong. :blah:

22. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

BTW, it was not Treyvon Martin's town or neighborhood. He lived in Miami-Dade & was visiting someone in Sanford. Consequently this tragedy is front page news in Miami, especially since Mr Zimmerman, despite the last name, is Hispanic. It is also reported he has moved from his home there.

NJL

23. MacMadame

I'd ask you to forgive me for thinking you are too close to the situation and/or don't want to believe anything bad about the part of the country you live in, but frankly, I don't think I have done anything that needs forgiveness. ;)

He was visiting his father and step-mother.

24. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

This case is so upsetting. Treyvon's death was so senseless :(

25. milanessa

You're right, it was just a phrase. I don't need forgiveness either. I'm fully able to recognize the Sanford police handled this badly. Christina also said it was bungled. My point is (and I said it in an earlier post) is that it is not over and I fully believe Mr. Zimmerman will be charged. As far as my not believing anything bad about the part of the country I live in? You couldn't be more wrong.

26. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

The word on twitter is the DOJ and FBI are getting involved now. More to come...

27. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

MSNBC did a story on this tonight (Lawrence Odonell). Part of the problem is the Florida law which practically allows people to kill anyone they perceive as a threat. There is a concern that many african american men will be targeted. They also said the FL police need to be investigated.

29. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous. Due to be raised by paranoid parents, in FL I'm apparently allowed to gun down any man built like a football player in my vicinity? Or any man whom I encounter on the street after dark? :eek:

30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, the "Stand your Ground" law; it's been used before (this was another high-profile case). But I'm not sure it applies if you initiate a confrontation as blatantly as Zimmerman did, especially considering he was told by police not to do so.

Since State and Federal authorities are now investigating the case, I am hopeful that there will be a just outcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.