Tran Aiming to Obtain Japanese Citizenship

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ice9, Apr 22, 2012.

1. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Japanese article
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20120422-00000052-mai-spo

rough translation

>>
    Mervin Tran, a Canadian born figure skater skating Pairs with Narumi Takahashi representing Japan, is aiming to obtain Japanese citizenship, revealed on Sunday 22nd by some JSF person.

Having Vietnamese father and Cambodian mother, Tran was born in Canada and now has Canadian citizenship. "Olympic games are every athlete's goal," Tran is reported to say, "obviously we are in a very complicated situation, but we realized (from winning the bronze medal at Worlds) that we have something to contribute to Japan."

According to the JSF person, the success at Worlds has given Tran confidence to compete among the best in the world at the Olympics, and he has made up his mind on this issue. But the problem is that you have to meet strict criteria to become a Japanese citizen, including more than 5 year residency in Japan. "It's impossible for him to become a Japanese citizen in time for Sochi through the regular procedure," the JSF person says, "so we are hoping the government finds some ways to support us."
    >>

I'm afraid it will be very very difficult (next to impossible :(), but good luck to Mervin anyway! :)

2. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

No way of knowing but I can't imagine that Japan would just bully through a citizenship in 2 years to a guy with no Japanese heritage, no history of living there and can't speak the language. I know they don't produce a lot of winter olympic medals, but I doubt the Federation would be that desperate.

If they don't go that pretty much kills Team Japan's hope for a team medal.

I love T/T, but I just have to think that their bronze was like the Dube/Davison situation in 2008. Enough teams sucked so they snuck through for their one world medal. I don't think we'll see them again on the world podium (except maybe at worlds on the Olympic year) and the JSF probably knows they are long shot...so I'm not sure they will have enough advocates to push this through.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Tran earned Japan their first ever World championship medal in Pairs and have been earning good international results for a number of years now.

Why shouldn't he gain citizenship based on his services to Japan?

Yes, I know that this law has not been invoked in the past and it's extremely unlikely to get invoked now but why shouldn't it? *stomps his feet like a Rumpelstiltskin*

Takahashi/Tran had two extremely well choreographed programs this season, both full of transitions. Probably the best programs of the season and with the exception of some of S/S' work, one of the best I have seen ever in pair skating.

Their basics are very strong, they are elegant, she hits lovely positions in the lifts, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, they aren't very consistent jumpers but if they manage to land their jumps again, they should easily medal again.

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Well, there's no harm in at least trying. I highly doubt he will get it, but at least he is making the effort. Their bronze at worlds can only help them.

I really like T/T. They just need to find a way to make their jumps more consistent if they want to compete with the best on a more regular basis.

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Never understand why teams like this form when they know all the hurdles that have to be overcome. If they were to marry:yikes: would he automatically become a citizen. Then they could divorce after Sochi.

6. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

If they land the jumps/throws- They are very dangerous...better than #2 and #3 Russians, All Canadians (ironically) and Americans. They unfortunately are good for at least 3 mistakes a competition however...

7. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I believe she is much older than she appears...am I right in saying 21? If it is really that simple a solution to just marry, I'll help plan the bachelorette!

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I don't know about that.

It creates false expectations and disappointment among less knowledgeable fans.

And if, somehow, the Diet (Japanese Parliament) did grant him citizenship, the pressure to open up citizenship to other people who have actually lived in Japan for many years but cannot meet the normal citizenship requirements (like passing a written test in Japanese) would be enormous. The problem isn't opening up citizenship, but there is something wrong about granting it only to one young man who has never lived in the country while denying it to many others who have.)

10. bek

bek Guest

Except for the fact that the one man could potentially earn them Olympic medal (team) and perhaps even future Olympic medals in pairs, a lot of those people living in Japan can't.

To be frank I think T/T should be like give him citizenship or we will skate for Canada.

11. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Granted the Japanese naturalization process is difficult enough, but at this point is there even enough time to get the ball rolling for Tran?

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

If they want to be sure they can go to the Olympics he should move to Japan now and start learning the language so that he can meet the requirements for 2018.

13. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I would think their biggest selling point would be that without Tran Japan has no team for the the team event where they have a great shot at Gold. Possibility of bronze in pairs is a crapshoot and not much to bargain with. A gold in a team event would be more enticing.

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Is that a meaningful distinction?

What about being integrated into Japanese society, speaking the Japanese language fluently, paying Japanese income tax, or having a Japanese spouse and children?

15. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

I hope Tran is making attempts to learn Japanese. Even if he never gets citizenship, just the fact that he is representing Japan on the international stage makes it important to put in some effort to learn the language and culture.

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

If they skate for Canada and have bad performances by chance at Canadian Nationals, they could lose to Duhamel/Radford and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch and not go to the Olympics anyway..

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Well, they still get to compete at Worlds even if this doesn't work, which is a big deal for them. Competing at Worlds and not Olympics is better than not having a partner at all, or having a partner who isn't good enough to qualify for the Worlds with you.

18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Could he qualify under the "special relationship" provision?

19. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

that is Impossible, other than Japan being of the most strict in regards to citizenship and Immigration. regarding VIP, it may have to go to the Parliament and other things before this is approved.

and if they give Tran special VIP treatment
    it will cause an uproar to the Korean, Chinese and Filipino minorities in Japan
    that have been living for many years but have faced so much discrimination
    regarding their citizenship status

fact is, Japan wil look at the bigger picture
    and I still think T/T bronze at Worlds was a fluke :blah:

pls Tran = No Japanese Heritage !
    so this a long shot maybe 2018 ?
    maybe even Canada might want to bring him back by then

20. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Unfortunately, Japan is a very closed society and there are a lot more things that are important than one man having a long shot for an Olympic pairs medal.

21. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agre. T/T did a great job this year at worlds but P/T and B/L had a bad long program, S/H missed one lift and K/S missed two lifts, without the major mistakes of those teams they would have not won a medal. It's no different than the Shibs winning last year because the French team fell.

They even won 2nd at NHK and won a trip to GPF only because S/S performed so badly.

They've had pretty good results, not bad but certainly not as good as some.

World Championships 9th, 3rd
    Four Continents Championships 5th, 7th, 5th
    World Team Trophy 2nd
    Grand Prix Final 6th
    Cup of Russia 2nd
    Skate Canada 4th
    NHK Trophy 8th, 3rd, 2nd (S/S mistakes for them the silver and a spot at the GPF)

Their coach has said the only reason he pair them is because Tran 'looked' Japanese and he said it was more aesthetically pleasing than pairing her up with a Caucasian.

22. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

In the team interview before the medal presentation yesterday, Mervin said a few words in Japanese. I'm not sure what/how well but it seemed (at least to me) sort of similar to what came from the Reeds in the same interview. I would think the latter would have/should have had more opportunities to speak the language.

23. Belinda

Belinda Member

Well, I can understand why Narumi had to look outside Japan for a partner. After all she has a number of predecessors. But what about Mervin? Was he so desparate as to end up looking for a partner outside Canada?

24. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, Narumi was training in Canada and asked her coach, Richard Gaulthie, to find a partner for her.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

This thread from earlier this season has a translated French article about Tran in which he describes how he paired up with Narumi: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81635

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

No, he wouldn't.

Which is why it will most likely never happen. :(

And leave Gauthier and Marcotte to train with... (there are no elite level pair coaches in Japan)?

There are people who have been living and working in Japan for years (including those who have been married to Japanese spouses) who have been unable to obtain citizenship.

It has never been invoked yet.

27. walei

walei Well-Known Member

How tall is Mervin, he seems kind of short for a pairs skater so maybe Narumi was one of the only girls small enough and capable enough to pair up with him?

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Tran wasn't considering pairs skating, so it was her coaches who identified him as a fit with Takahashi. He wasn't a smallish (for pairs) man searching for a pairs partner.

He's 5'9", a little taller than Robin Szolkowy.

29. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

If T&T actually competed for Canada by the time of 2013 Worlds, there would be an excellent chance that T&T and the other Canadian team (probably D&R) would qualify for 3 teams. They would this year had T&T been competing for Canada.

Anyways, I wish Tran all the best. But I'm just wondering why they didn't do this sooner. Was the bronze medal the catalist? I mean, they had a very bright future from the start, practically.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

She'd have to give up Japanese citizenship were she to get Canadian citizenship in time for Sochi, which in itself would take both expedited Permanent Resident processing and an exemption to the residency rules for citizenship. (For Permanent Residency, she'd qualify under the "self-employed" category for world-class artists and athletes.)

She may be tied more to her citizenship than he is to Canadian citizenship.