Tracy Wilson

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Bailey_, Oct 19, 2013.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Thank you for starting this thread. I am totally :fragile: that we might not have any (or very little) of who I consider to be the greatest commentator (for any discipline) right now. I just checked the beginning of the NBC coverage to see Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton. And Kurt and Carol for CBC. The best is gone and four of the worst remain. It's like my worst nightmare has come true. :(

Last year (and previous years as well, I believe) Tracy did double-duty. She did all of the disciplines for the Canadian network and did dance for the U.S. station. I believe she did the U.S. ice dance commentary live and then did it again to tape for Canadian TV. Which I was 100% happy with.

How so? I didn't find Wilson's coverage for U.S. television to be any different than what she did for Canadian television... :confused:

2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

On the contrary, I have always enjoyed Kurt Browning's commentary.

3. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I hope to see Tracy back for Skate Canada and agree it's disappointing not to see her on CBC...especially now that I've moved back. :wuzrobbed

4. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Same..why can't she do double duty!!

Obviously the CBC crew, of Browning, Lane & Irving, were in studio, commentating on taped coverage...I was wondering where they get the taped footage from?

Also, how was Lane available on the weekend?? Aren't Ralph/Hill at an international...& Gilles/Poirier skated for the 1st time this season at the Barrie competition. Not to be snarky, but her talents lie in coaching, not in TV.

5. blueglass

blueglass New Member

[QUOTE And Kurt and Carol for CBC. The best is gone and four of the worst remain. It's like my worst nightmare has come true.

How so? I didn't find Wilson's coverage for U.S. television to be any different than what she did for Canadian television... :confused:[/QUOTE]

On Canadian TV she does a more analytical commentary on all of the performances of the ice dancers. On NBC, I've yet to hear her be critical of American skaters - she takes a cheerleading approach to their performances. I assume she's afraid viewers will take it as criticism not analysis. I've also noticed she holds back on praise for their opponent's skates, probably for the same reason.

I think people are misunderstanding Kurt's job on the CBC - he is there to be the colour commentator not the skating analyst, which is likely why Carol Lane was brought in. He's supposed to be colourful and his turn of phrase can be hilarious. Tracy Wilson is a sports commentator as well as being a skating analyst which is why she doesn't do that, although Kurt can sometimes egg her on a bit - she covered track and field after retiring from skating and probably other sports as well. Kurt's there because of his skating experience so I guess if that bothers you, definitely don't watch him, but all networks follow the same format. I do think Kurt can offer a pretty fair analysis of the skaters because of that experience, particularly on the men. I think he's also excellent on pairs and he's pretty good on ice dance in recognizing performance and skating skills. He has favourite styles of skating which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't find him to play favourites.

6. rhumba

rhumba New Member

I love Tracy, she is wonderful, very professional, her voice is also easy to my ears. I don't care about Belbin since she has conflict of interest and overtly cheers on the Canton camp. She works for Marina and dates White, how much more personal conflicts we need for a commentator? I also can't stand her, talked excessively during the program and also tried to give her opinion about the choreography that she would have done differently, etc. Sometimes, "quiet period" is also needed during the program.

7. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

As much as I love Tanith, she's seriously biased in her commentating, as she is an integral member of the Zueva coaching staff-team...much like Bezik was (is?) when she commented on skaters who she choreographed (and said catty things about those who did not employ her).

8. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I do too - I learn a lot listening to him. He's the best I've heard at analyzing jumps, probably because he's the only person currently commentating who's actually done them all and because he tours, performs and works with many of the top skaters he's also familiar with their technique. He often points out difficult or unusual entries or placement on the ice, as well as what could be happening when a skater is having problems. For example, Kurt thought Daisuke Takahashi, who has been struggling with his jumps, wasn't rotating in the air as fast as he normally does.
    He's the first person to point out that Ice Dance isn't his field of expertise but I think he does a very creditable job of calling it and has learned a lot. I also like what he does with pairs - for example pointing out that MT & M's death spiral is more difficult, even though it doesn't look as smooth as others.
    I don't want a commentator who just tells me nice things about everybody - I want an expert who is willing to share their knowledge. Kurt is respectful to all the skaters and his criticism is always constructive. I know the skaters value his opinion and so do I.

9. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Well said.

10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Just this last weekend Tracy wilson spent far too much talking about d/w program intentions and not what they were actually doing! Seemed like half of it was "whites playing a woman trying to entertain the king blah blah blah".

11. puglover

puglover Active Member

I love both Kurt and Tracy. I adore Kurt's personality and sense of humour and I feel he calls it as he sees it. He is very knowledgable, understands the pressures of an elite/olympic skater and although I know he is close friends with many of the skaters - I don't get the feeling that plays much of a factor into his analysis of the skate. I know some people think he drops too many names - but he has worked with many of these skaters and (for me) is just sharing interesting tidbits about them. I adore Tracy and think she is by far the best dance analyst. Regardless of the discipline, I feel her comments about areas to improve make a lot of sense and I feel the most educated when she is commentating. The last few years (especially with Virtue and Moir - Davis and White) I feel she holds back and I find it more and more difficult to get what she really thinks. She does walk a tight rope - working with Brian Orser and his skaters who will compete head to head with Patrick and then working on NBC for big events where listeners want to hear her praise Davis and White. In the last few years, I have felt somewhat frustrated by her comments. Consequently, I listen to PJ if I have her as a choice. I used to switch back to the main network for the last flights but now I just stay with PJ - for me she is knowledgeable and honest and seems to just want the best to win.

12. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I love Kurt's commentary, and don't mind if he puts his foot in his mouth once in a while. He's honest and as others have pointed out, he has intimate knowledge from skating with a lot of these kids. For instance, he talked about doing footwork with Kozuka and how he couldn't find a step that he couldn't match (and made him look foolish at times!) I didn't mind Carol Lane, but she is going to take some getting used to. Love her accent.

13. blueglass

blueglass New Member

This is exactly what I've thought too and not always just about those two - but also when C/P and W/P were competing against each other. Eons ago, I used to take a short-wave radio to the arena with me and got the 'colour' commentary between Tracy and Rod (CTV) when they were off camera. Rod was usually trying to get the low-down on the off-rink stuff. My, but what you don't get to hear on TV - all the gossip! Can't do that anymore - sigh.

14. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

Although I didn't mind her commentary, I find Carol Lane to be a strange choice of analyst by the CBC. As the season progresses, she surely isn't going to be able to do live commentary on most events due to coaching commitments. I sincerely hope the reason isn't because we are not going to get live coverage all season.

15. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Sorry to see that Tracy Wilson will *not* in fact be part of the NBC team. :( I've always liked her, be it her manner, the way she expresses herself, little anecdotes she has to share, and remaining quiet when necessary. She just comes across as warm, nice, and very humble, like a favorite teacher at school. :)

Here's hoping we still see her on American television. She was my mainstay for American figure skating back in the hey day when skating was the most popular sport on t.v., especially professional shows and events. :cool:

16. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

:confused: I thought that she was apart of the NBC team, not the CBC's.

17. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Ooops, meant to say Olympic NBC Team. :)

18. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Still confused, who is where for the Olympics.

19. TorontoSkateFan

TorontoSkateFan New Member

Here are the line ups for Sochi:

NBC main network coverage:
    Tom, Sandra, Scott, Tracy

NBC multi-platform coverage (online)
    Terry, Tara, Johnny

NBC Olympic Sports Desk/Olympic Zone (show for the affiliates):
    Tanith (reporter)

CBC:
    Brenda, Carol, Kurt

20. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I was really unhappy with the CTV skating commentary at the Vancouver Olympics - we got stuck with people who either couldn't talk intelligently or weren't allowed to. Now the same thing is going to happen in Sochi. I wish they'd quit using freelancing commentators - yes I'd give up Tracy - so that we'd have a well trained team ready to go when it counts. I thought Jen Robinson had potential but she needed practice. Carol Lane is not doing it for me.

21. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Any mention of who will be doing interviews at the rink? This list doesn't make it quite clear. I'm thinking it may still be Andrea Joyce.

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Same for me. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about how they enjoyed her speaking voice. To me it's like fingernails on chalkboard. :(

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Zazy

Zazy Member

So what happens if one of Carol's teams makes it to the Olympics? Having only Kurt doing ice dance commentary isn't ideal.

24. walei

walei Well-Known Member

There was this one time that a skater/team wuzrobbed, and when his/her/their marks came up Tracy was dead silent. Her partner asked how she felt about the marks and Tracy just said in a very stern voice "Totally Disagree".

Anyone remember which competition this was?

25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't understand the addition of Carol. Her commentary is awful and she says some really stupid things. For example, after one skate she said something to the effect "I feel like I've just had a glass of super bubbly champagne".

Certainly CBC could have find someone far more qualified, or at least far better at commentating?

26. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I guess you missed her earlier explanation that there was a description in the ISU materials about the Finnstep that used the analogy of "bubbly champagne". She was obviously complimenting the particular performance.

27. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Yes, the ISU descriptors for the FinnStep character/interpretation specifically make this metaphor, thus her commentary is apt

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  28. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I hope it doesn't sound like I was dissing Carol Lane because I'm sure with time she'd be fine, it's just that I don't agree with having anyone comment who is so closely involved with the competition. Tanith Belbin is an example of a commentator who shouldn't be doing ice dance commentary on her lover and his competition. It's a conflict of interest in an altogether too cosy environment.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

sorry - duplicate

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  30. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

Hmm - but Tanith is Canadian - well, dual citizen now, so the US networks have 3 Canadian commentators working for them. I like Tracy. She's very knowledgable & breaks down CoP scoring so viewers can understand it a bit more. And she always points out the positives of each team.