Tracy Wilson

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Bailey_, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Just wondering why she is not commentating for CBC this year? Is she working for another network this year? CTV? I miss her...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
    julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Maybe she is working for NBC this weekend for SA?

3. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

She must be because she was at the practices yesterday.

For the last few years, Tracy has done Skate America for NBC while Kurt does it either solo or with someone like Lori Nichol so this is nothing new. She may still be back later in the season for CBC.

4. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Erin is correct. Tracy is listed as a member for the NBC team for Skate America -

5. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I hope she's with CTV for Skate Canada next weekend..then back with CBC for Cup of China, as I also miss her expertise & insight. I didn't get much from Lane & expected way more technical commentary considering her level of knowledge.

What network will Wilson be with for olympic coverage I wonder?

6. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

Tracy will be with NBC for the Olympics.

7. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Bummer about the Olympics... I think she is the best! Although, I have been pleasantly surprised by Carol Lane today. Glad to hear that she is still working... was worried that maybe something had happened to prevent her from commentating this year.

8. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

NOOOOO! Not Tom Hammond, I thought we finally lost him.

9. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Rats. Just once I'd like to see Tracy Wilson call the Olympic ice dance competition for CBC. She's wasted on NBC because she becomes so politically careful.

10. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Would really prefer Tanith Belbin as commentator.

11. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I agree and I think that she just does dance on NBC. I wonder if Kurt will be flying solo. Tracy tempers him.

12. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.! :) I miss Tracy, like Scott Hamilton, they are my mainstays for American figure skating. I loved them from the 90's to nowadays, and miss them both. :(

13. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I'll take Tracy back here in Canada and then have Tanith for the US viewers. I'd do that setup any day of the week.

14. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

oh I don't like her so I was hoping she retired. I hate her biased opinions.

Louis and (deleted member) like this.
  15. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I like that proposal a lot!!!! Perhaps Canada can give some more incentive to Tracy to work in her own country.

16. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

I'm hoping this will be Tom Hammond's last Winter Olympics. He's going to be 70 next year, and his current contract with NBC ends in 2016.

17. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I think Tanith is a bit young to be retiring from anything other than skating competitively ;)

18. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Tanith actually impresses me. I like that she is not afraid to point out weaknesses in skaters and tell you exactly how things should look in the dance. She's really great!

19. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I'll take Tracy on CBC for the Olympics too. She definitely tempers Kurt and has had a beautiful way of getting him out of some sticky comments... But alas, she seems to always work for the American networks at big events. I wish they could find some way of keeping her with the Canadian networks... $$

20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I know i was hoping also that Tom Hammond wasn't going to be doing skating this year too. They need to get Terry Gannon to replace him.

21. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

As a skating fan, I really enjoy Tracy's commentary because I always learn something about figure skating (dance in particular) and don't feel like it's being shoved down my throat. She explains why things are happening, she's objective in how she delivers her message, and that is greatly appreciated especially in a sport that no matter what scoring system is used, is going to have a lot of subjectivity in it. And she's apolitical!

22. piano18

piano18 New Member

Yes, about Carol Lane, being the technical maven that she is, I hoped she would be more critical of all the pairs. I like her pleasant British voice though :) (if I were her co-commentator, Kurt, I would ask her to point out at least one thing each couple need to work on for the next competition).

23. piano18

piano18 New Member

I never liked Kurt Browning doing dance commentary though, wish he stopped doing it.

24. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I figured Tracey would be commentating for NBC. I was worried about some people understanding Carol's accent but it seems some of the talking is hard to hear in spots due to her not being loud enough. She may want to work on not saying Annar (of Anna and Luca).
    Didn't Kurt just start calling dance last year or so? Which other person used to call it? I can't remember.
    I like that he pointed out a few subtle things about Meryl and Charlie's dance that were easy to miss, such as a
    "Mis-grab" on a spin and some extension problems.

25. jan

jan New Member

Tracy Wilson is far from being biased. She is known for being fair...

26. vmfan89

vmfan89 Member

I wish he wouldn't comment at all. He always makes everything about him and that irks me. Talk more about the skaters and less about yourself. You've had your time, now it's theirs.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  27. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

So who will be the CBC Sochi figure skating commentating team?

I will watch the Sochi ice dance on NBC for Tracy...again, wasn't blown away by Lane today on CBC. I couldn't hear what she said at the end of Davis & White? I can understand the accent..but the commentary, frankly, just isn't very good...especially with Kurt, who needs someone to keep him under control for lack of a better statement. He really can make some ridiculous comments sometimes.....

28. piano18

piano18 New Member

At the end when Kurt mentioned their extension problem? That according to her are "high class" problems, implying he was being nitpicky with them.
    Actually out of the 3, that Brenda Irving is the worst.

29. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

Tracy Wilson is a fabulous commentator you guys are so lucky as you can be informed yet educated in an entertaining manner

30. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Well considering that NBC didn't even SHOW ice dance at Skate America other than Davis/White free dance, she might as well work in Canada.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.