Tracy Morgan's Anti-Gay Tirade

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by olympic, Jun 11, 2011.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

This is actually getting ugly:

He made some comments during a stand-up act in front of a crowd of 2,000 ppl in Nashville:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_..._To_Explain_Gay_Tirade_During_Nashville_Show/

snip:

He eventually apologized, but ....

Tina Fey said she was disturbed by his rant:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/06/10/Tracy_Morgan_s_Apology_Met_With_Disappointment/

snip:

Yet, Chris Rock is defending Tracy Morgan's Right to say 'foul and inappropriate sh-t'

Wanda Sykes says it isn't free speech:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/06/10/Wanda_Sykes_Responds_to_Tracy_Morgan_on_Twitter/

snip:

What do you think????

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, philosophically, Chris Rock is of course right. It's a free country. The 'fire in a crowded theater' analogy doesn't work because you simply cannot hold someone responsible for another person's mental/emotional state.

However, more to the point: who the fcuk is Tracy Morgan?

3. olympic

As long as Chris Rock has the same philosophy that anyone can say 'rude and inappropriate sh-t' about anyone, including racial minorities, and still shrug his shoulders, then he would at least be consistent but I find it hateful speech without any artistic merit. Not clever, not provocative. Just dumb

4. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

I was kind of getting over Tina Fey (overexposure), but I like her comments re: this. Of course, I don't know why she (or Lorne Michaels) ever made that untalented idiot famous to begin with ...

5. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Tracy is a gay name for a man.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've never watched him on Saturday Night Live, but the few times I've seen him on TV, I always thought *he* was gay.

It had nothing to do with his name, however - I know too many "Tracys" and even "Stacys" that are guys. Had it been "Lacey," however, he'd have been a dead duck.

7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

It concerns me that Chris Rock doesn't see the difference between saying really inappropriate things in a comedy routine and saying that you would stab your son to death if he was effeminate. And while freedom of speech does protect such things, it doesn't make it okay to say something like that. So, he can say it all he wants, but he should also be prepared to suffer any consequences related to his statements.

I know a couple of people who were at the show and they left after the comment. Neither of those people are gay, but they just didn't want to be associated with such a statement.

Kudos to Tina Fey though.

8. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Same here. I've been just waiting for him to come out. :p

:rofl:

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Who is Tracy Morgan?

10. olympic

Actor on Tina Fey's show, 30 Rock

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What a nice guy. :rolleyes:

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have always been the type of person to stand up for comedians when they get in trouble. It is their job to say offensive but funny things. It is almost impossible for a comedian to do a good stand up routine without saying something that someone can find offensive. You have to know it is all a joke. HOWEVER, this case is so very different. What he said was DISGUSTING. It went way too far and it went from being a joke to being, exactly as the OP said, a tirade. I have never ever liked Tracy Morgan and have never thought he was the least bit funny. This little act doesn't help and I will never like him.

13. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I don't watch 30 Rock, but TM used to be on Saturday Night Live. I never thought he was funny or memorable. I think people who aren't all that talented resort to saying offensive stuff in hopes of seeming "edgy" and getting attention. It's also frustrating to see him playing into all the usual black stereotypes. :(
    TM doth protest much?

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

What if you replaced "gay" with "African-American" or "Jewish"?

Some of Tracy Morgan's act:

And if we switch it up:

So Chris Rock, would you support Michael Richards delivering this "comedy" make-over? Stand beside Mr. Richards, put your arm around him and tell the world you stand beside him 100%?

:confused: Seriously?

Tracy Morgan is an Emmy-nominated actor on the critically acclaimed "30 Rock" which just finished its sixth season. Morgan was a cast member of Saturday Night Live for seven years and starred in at least three other television shows. He has starred in twenty-two major motion pictures including Cop Out, The Other Guys, Death At A Funeral, Rio and The Longest Yard. He is an author and has also hosted awards shows as well as weekly television programs.

(Wikipedia is your friend.)

15. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Thank you Tina Fey...I wish I could live a day with your brain...

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I don't watch him - never have, never will.

All of the awards and right to "free speech" in the world don't prevent him from being offensive. dangerous; and a "jerk".

17. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

Is this true? What is psychological or mental abuse, then? I'm not purposefully trying to be obtuse, I'm just not sure what you're saying is true.

Further, I think we have to consider the social atmosphere that is encouraged by these kinds of words/sentiments expressed publicly by a public figure. Even if your statement about there being no accountability for the mental state of others is true, what about contributing to/fueling social belief systems which encourage or expect -- or even turn a blind eye to-- the persecution of LGBTQ folks?

I do agree that Tracy Morgan should be allowed to say these particular things, but I also think that he should be roundly criticized for saying them.

The article does explain his celebrity status.

18. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I think Wanda Skyes pretty much summed up my feelings about Chris Rock and Roland Martin's defense of Tracy:

I can't express how wonderful and important it is to have a perspective like Wanda's--a gay woman of color--in pop culture discourse right now. She provides a unique voice and authority on the experiences of a subculture that's rarely heard in the mainstream, in addition to being a highly visible point of reference to the broader African-American community about LGBT blacks and how they see and perceive a lot of the explicit and implicit homophobia often perpetuated in their own communities.

I doubt Rock and Martin would be so quick to defend Tracy if they really thought about what he said through their friend's perspective.

I also have to give kudos to Tina Fey for her deftly worded statement. That was, in no uncertain terms, a huge warning to Morgan if you read between the lines.

Personally, I have never understood Tracy's appeal. I never thought he was funny.

WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm glad Wanda spoke up too - I like her and liked what she had to say about this. Count me as one who has enjoyed Tracy's performances on SNL and 40 Rock, and now as one who is disappointed that he'd make such statements. How immature and hateful. Just like Michael Richards, my perception of him has changed and he's lost a fan in me.

20. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Neither have I. I think anything humorous about him comes from the fact that he always seems like a dumbass. This tirade proves that he's not just a dumbass, but a hateful one.

I applaud both Wanda Sykes and Tina Fey for speaking out against Tracy Morgan.

21. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Over at Pam's House Blend has a report from someone who was there:

http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/19423/not-funny-tracy-morgan

It sums up my thoughts as well as Morgan was clearly saying his anti-gay rhetoric not in the same way as he was doing the rest of his routine.

Also, I hate it when people use the Freedom of Speech argument. Of course, Tracy Morgan has the right to say whatever he wants if so chooses to. Hell, if people want to pay to see him because they truly think talking about gays in such a horrible way is funny and actually agree with it, then he has found his audience. However, people also have a right to respond to him and take him to task for it. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of criticism, scrutiny, and repercussions.