Toy Story 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by VIETgrlTerifa, Jun 19, 2010.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I can't believe there isn't a thread about this yet.

I make no qualms admitting that I am a Pixar fan, and I think out of all the movie studios out there, they are the ones that are consistently doing films that strive to be both art and entertainment and succeed most of the time.

That said, I don't think they always hit the mark. I was disappointed in Cars and thought that despite some clever writing, Ratatouille was overrated. I also felt that Up peaked in the opening sequence and was never able to capture that magic throughout the rest of the movie and was mad that it got a Best Picture nomination (even if they did have 10 nominees that year) wheareas Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and especially Wall-E did not get that same recognition.

However, if there is one film that is the pinnacle of Pixar's movie-making (so far) then it's Toy Story 3. I don't want to give too much away, but if you are looking to see cinema in the theaters today (and like me finding yourself disappointed that there hasn't been many films that really hit you the way they're supposed to) then do yourself a favor and see Toy Story 3.

I truly do believe it is Pixar's best movie to date, and I'll be hard-press to find a better movie in terms of emotional impact and just plain great story-telling than this one this year...hell, this decade.

The last time I walked out the theater feeling this invested in a film was when I left Brokeback Mountain and felt absolutely numb watching it.

I promise to give a more coherent review later, but right now, I'm still under Toy Story's spell.

For all of you animation fans out there, Pixar pays homage to Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli in Toy Story 3 be having a stuffed Totoro in the film. I was absolutely delighted when I saw it and it made me want to see My Neighbor Totoro again.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

We're hoping to see it next week, we can't wait.

3. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I absolutely cannot agree with you more! I saw it at the drive in last night and am still enchanted by it! It was a masterpiece. I will compare every single Pixar movie to Wall-E, which is the best movie I've seen in my entire life. Up was nice but fell flat compared to Wall-E but TS 3 really hit the mark. I always love how Pixar injects a little "adult" humor into their movies (Barbie to Ken- "Nice Ascot!") and with TS3 the adults were laughing way more than the kids!

Pixar makes such wonderful movies with wonderful messages. I wish they could put out more than one a year.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2: I love both of the Toy Story movies and can't wait to see this one!

5. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Hey don't dig on Cars-that's the greatest movie in the history of movies to my 3 year old son :)

We went to see Toy story 3 last night (He's a big Woody fan) and there was a lot of young kids screaming in fear at a certain scene but all the adults really loved the movie. Me included. It was very heart warming, funny as heck, sad and bittersweet at times.

I find this latest Toy Story, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles my personal favorite Pixar movies. I liked all the movies I've seen. A Bugs life being my least favorite. I still haven't scene Wall-E because there are some sounds that give me a huge huge head ache. I do want to see it bad though because he's such a cutie and the movie got great reviews from everyone I know.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

When that movie came out, my then seven year-old brother gave me the cutest movie review saying how it was his favorite movie ever. So I do have a soft-spot for it, even if I personally didn't like it nearly as much as the other Pixar films.

That said, I recently saw a great Cars short film where the characters went to Tokyo and got all suped up Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift style. All the neon lights and spoilers were hilarious.

7. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

My 2.5 year old loves Cars. I think it says something about the quality of a movie that I can watch it 300 times and still think its good!

We are going to take him to see Toy Story next week, his first movie!

8. BrokenAnkle

BrokenAnkle Active Member

Wow, Toy Story 3 was wonderful. I can see how some kids might be scared at the one scene - it was very suspenseful but touching too. Happy ending but one that keep tears in your eyes. SInce my daughter is going away to college in Fall, it was extra poignant.

9. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I loved it! I was worried that it wouldn't live up to the hype because the praise has been so effusive, but I thought it definitely did.

10. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I have no idea when I'll be able to see it due to being three hours from the nearest theatre, but I really want to as I'm a Disney fan and have loved most of the Pixar movies I've seen.

Toy Story though really is a cut above the rest of the Pixar/Disney movies over the years and I'm glad the third visit w/Woody, Buzz and the Gang lives up to the rest of the franchise. I was a bit nervous when I heard about TS3 when in Toronto for CSOI and my usual visit to The Disney Store when in Toronto ( ;) ), but those fears are now being put to rest w/all of the reviews from everyone who has seen it so far.

Anyone else around here see the Disney VISA commercial where Woody and the Gang all think Buzz is being bought at the store and they try to save him, only to find out it wasn't *their* Buzz? Too cute, but the one for the US Postal Service w/Ham as the Postal Carrier tops it IMO. That is if you remember the voice of Ham is the actor who played Cliff the mail carrier on Cheers. :)

I actually had to explain that one to my Parents. They thought I was nuts reacting the way I was to that particular commercial. :rolleyes:

11. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I saw it at midnight with several friends. We were between the ages of 4 and 8 when the first Toy Story movie came out, so we all really grew up with it. So, seeing it now in our late teens/early twenties made it all the more special.

I had read that it was good, but not nearly as good as the previous two. I disagree - I think it was just as good as the second if not better. It had everything you want in a great animated film. One of Disney's best, IMO.

12. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

John Ratzenberger has done a character voice in every Pixar movie as well. Hamm has been my favorite of his though. :)

13. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

Heh... Toy Story I was my son's first movie. I still remember going to see it with him and his grandparents around Christmas. He's 18 now.

14. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

Saw it today with my nieces and we all loved it!

However, I think Up is still my favorite Pixar film overall.

15. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Hard to believe that Toy Story is over 10 years old. The movie was wonderful :) Better than I expected.

I was super excited to see Totoro in this film :) Quite possibly my favorite part.

16. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I loved it. Count me in as another who grew up on the Toy Story magic, and I loved that they revisited some of the memorable lines from the first 2 movies. Watching it felt like taking out your own old toys and playing with them again. The ending was bittersweet but perfect, and there was a lot of fun and humor too. Surprisingly (to me) there were hardly any kids in the theater when I saw it this afternoon - mostly people my age.

17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see it!

18. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

LOVED it. Saw it the other night and had tears in my eyes at the end. TS 3 stays true to the feeling of the other movies, I never had any "reallyyyyy now?" moments haha; it was all very well done. And I love the progression of time through the series; I grew up right along with it and it was special to see.

Think I may need to see it again haha!

19. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Yikes, Toy Story 3 is making a fortune. Will this be the highest grossing film of the year?Not sure if Avatar is officially considered a 2009 or 2010 release.

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Kimmie Meissner tweeted that she'd gone to the midnight showing and just loved the film.

21. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Avatar was 2009 since it was considered for last year's Oscar. I'd be shocked if another movie this year made the money Toy Story 3 looks to be making.

22. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Saw it tonight. Loved it. I'm not a terrible huge fan of the first two, but this was my favorite. I thought it worked more for adults than children, honestly. I think some scenes might be a bit scary for small children.

I was bawling by the end.

23. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

It was outstanding. One of the things I love so much about Pixar's movies is that the characters are fully-developed independent of the actors' personas, as opposed to a lot of other animated films.

My favorite Pixar movies are Monsters Inc., the Incredibles, and all of the Toy Stories.

24. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved it. So funny in places, so poignant in others. They deftly handled very adult themes without getting heavy-handed: The sadness of leaving behind things you love when you go to college, the empty-nest syndrome of Andy's mom, the realization that sometimes you have no choice but to let people go, the festering bitterness of being abandoned... Doesn't even sound like a kid's film when you list all those!

The short-film at the beginning was also amazing!

25. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Saw it Saturday night at the drive in. What a great movie with the big "happily ever after" ending. Loved the strawberry-scented bear's karma, the aliens unwavering faith in The Claw, and most of all, the non-toy characters. They were so true to real life kids, lol.

Someone on a Disney board pointed out that Andy's mother is a single parent. Hadn't really noticed that myself.

26. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I'm incredibly anxious to see this film, though I probably won't make it to the theater until the 2nd weekend of July. I saw Toy Story two twice when it was in the theater - one of only two films I've ever seen multiple times in the theater (the other being Milk). Without a doubt Toy Story 2 is my favorite Pixar film. I'm definitely excited to see Toy Story 3. The top critics review on RottenTomatoes.com is at 100%!

27. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Saw it today. Just loved it. I, too, was crying at the ending...so poignant. It totally pulled my heartstrings just like 1 and 2 did.

I noticed Andy's mom being a single parent...there was a picture of Andy in graduation robe with Molly and his mother hanging in his room. I always thought maybe just his dad was at work in the first two movies but that picture made me think...single mom because dad would have been in the picture, too. Or maybe he was taking the picture. I think she was a single mom, though.

28. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

My son just turned 7. At his b-day party, he got movie theatre gift cards from 7 different people (about half of those attending). Apparently, they all had the same idea - Toy Story 3. :lol:

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet as I'm waiting for MiniCyn to get back from her mini-vacation so we can see it together.

Both of the previous two Toy Story movies are right up there as my favorite Pixar movies, right behind Ratatouille, which is hands-down my all-time favorite they've done so far. I was less than impressed with Cars, and while I enjoyed A Bug's Life (how can one not enjoy Dave Foley, Madeleine Kahn, Denis Leary, John Ratzenberger, Julia Louis Dreyfuss, et al - what a fabulous cast!!

I still have yet to see Wall-E/I] or The Incredibles (eys, I know I need to watch both as most people I know rave about them).

Gotta say, though, as much as I love the Toy Story movies, the over-commercialization of it is starting to get on my nerves. It seems like one cannot watch TV without being inundated with eleventy-billion ads with the characters endorsing some product :wall: .

30. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

I went my friends and when he showed up on screen, we all squealed his name out loud! :lol: People in the theater was all :confused: I was already enjoying the film prior to his appearance but that definitely sealed the deal.

I really enjoyed the themes, but I do have to say that not every child necessary out grows their toys. ;) It was also interesting how the writers portrayed the age group of children and their treatment of toys. It certainly made me think of my childhood. Ha!

I wanted to point out that the dance sequence in the credits was animated to the movements of Cheryl Burke and Tony Dovolani's dancing. I was watching it and I thought it looked very ballroom. Then the credits with Cheryl and Tony's names came up and it all made perfect sense.