Tourist Tips for DC!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, May 11, 2011.

1. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I had such a good time last year I've decided to return. :)
    Actually, my main reason for coming is to see National Ballet of Cuba. They aren't coming to NYC on this tour. (They are coming to Brooklyn after DC, but I wonder how many dancers will be left by then. Several dancers always seem to defect whenever they leave Cuba :lol:)
    Anyway, as last year, I need tips for "off the beaten path" type things. And places to buy chocolates and cakes. My coworker recommended the Hillwood Estate, but it looks tricky to get to. is it worth the trip?
    Is anyone interested in meeting for lunch or dinner? I will arrive on June 1st and leave on the 8th. I absolutey MUST visit CoCoSala again.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a good place to have afternoon tea?
    :)
  2. Marge_Simpson

no one has a tip for me? :(
  3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

4. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

:(

I don't live in D.C. and want to go back to see all the memorials, museums and other sites I missed, so I'm watching this thread with interest.
  5. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, I love the American Indian Museum! Except for the "Hall of Euphemisms" where all the abuses against Native Americans are glossed over and swept under the carpet, that kinda makes me ill. The exhibits on the religions, however, is sooooo interesting and well done!
  6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Eh, NMAA is rather boring. The Freer/Sackler (which it's attached to underground) are a lot nicer. Though none are ever crowded. Especially the Freer, for some reason. Check out the Peacock room.

If you don't mind a LONG line, or trying to go in off hours, unless you're a strict vegetarian Ben's Chili Bowl at U Street-Cardozo is COMPLETELY worth the waits (I stood in line for forty-five minutes. In DC. In June.). Chili half-smoke is fantastic and they seriously have the best cole slaw ever. (IIRC, cash-only, and only Bill Cosby and the Obamas eat free.)

If you do not mind that it is VERY off the beaten path and in not the prettiest neighborhood on the face of the Earth, if you're at all interested in historic cemeteries that aren't Arlington, go the Armory stop on the Metro and visit Congressional Cemetery. It's by the hospital and the...uh...correctional facility, but I felt perfectly safe and there's always people walking their dogs there (Friends of Congressional Cemetery has a K-9 Crew who pay a fee to walk their dogs in the cemetery.) Lots of interesting 19th-century memorial art and modern ones, too, and famous people include J. Edgar Hoover, Tom Lantos, and the gay Vietnam vet who famously doesn't have his name on the grave, just "A Gay Vietnam Veteran". Very much worth a visit.
  7. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Hi Marge,

I live on the MD/DC line in Takoma Park, walking distance to metro, I'll be happy to meet up with you when you come.

I was trying to find events going on the week you will be here. The Sylvan Theater and Screen on the Green offer free movies and performances on the mall, but I don't see anything scheduled for June so far. I remember sitting in the grass and seeing "Midsummer Night's Dream" performed at Sylvan on a hot summer night with fireflies, it was very surreal and atmospheric.

If you like live music there is the 9:30 Club (downtown) and the Birchmere, Arlington VA.

For plays and dance there is the Warner Theater, Ford's Theater (where Lincoln was shot - historically restored), Folger Theater (Shakespeare), Arena Stage, and of course the Kennedy Center.

I'm not a plant person, but I love the Orchid Garden at the Botannical Gardens.

There is a cinema and draft house in Arlington, VA which is always good fun with a group of people. I haven't been to this particular one, but I used to go to the one in Bethesda

http://arlingtondrafthouse.com/

In Takoma Park there are antique, vintage clothing, and ethnic shops, plus a good Korean/American deli.

I like kayaking and rollerblading. There is a skating club that meets in front of the White House and does street skates (Washington Area Roadskaters WAR).

And of course many, many historic sites.
  8. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

It's in Alexandria ;). Which is a nice area that is Metro accessible (Blue/Yellow lines). Old Town is a nice place to walk around for restaurants, shops, and the waterfront (King Street Metro).

The Arlington Cinema N' Drafthouse is fun and has a decent comedy scene besides just food and cheap movies during the week (1$ Monday movie night wheee!).

Could you be more specific in term of what you'd like to do? There are a lot of great neighborhoods to explore besides the downtown area, both in DC and MD/VA, but I'm not sure if you're just interested in museums/memorials?

There can be a big difference between recommending getting a jumbo slice in Adams Morgan vs. checking out the International Spy Museum. :lol:

Here is the WaPo Express Night Out website: http://www.expressnightout.com/. It's distributed for free every Thursday around the city and Metro stops in the Express paper too, but searching for what you are interested online is much easier than reading the summary in the paper. You'll find all of the festivals, events, concerts, plays, exhibits, etc. going on listed.

Also, you should sign-up for the LivingSocial and Groupon daily deals for DC/MD/VA. LivingSocial now has instant deals for lunch, dinner, and evening restaurants in the area; a convenient option for getting cheaper food on the fly.
  9. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

If you didn't go to the Newseum last time, I recommend it more than any other place.
  10. aliceanne

Dhoonya Dance troupe is having a Bollywood Showcase June 4. They also have drop-in classes for fun and fitness in various studios in DC/VA. Too bad you are not coming a week earlier, they are doing a flashmob at Fiesta Asia and have posted the dances online for anyone to learn and join in.

http://twitpic.com/4tu1wt
  11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I will PM you with the dinner info for 6/2 before the ballet.

Tea places: http://www.teaguide.net/tearoomswashingtondc.htm

Have you been to the Hillwood Museum? http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/

You have to make an appointment to go, but they also have tea on Sunday - I imagine reservation is required.

http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/visit/cafe.html

Eastern Market: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Market,_Washington,_D.C.
    http://www.easternmarket-dc.org/
    There is a flea market on Sundays there.
    http://www.easternmarket.net/

If you haven't walked around Old Town Alexandria, you should do that on a nice day. Here is a tea place in Old Town: http://www.alexandriacitywebsite.com/The Tea Cosy & The British Connection.htm

Off the beaten path list:

http://www.thechurchillhotel.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=60

http://www.yelp.com/list/off-the-beaten-path-washington

Did you visit the Phillips Gallery last time - its not free like the Smithsonian museums, but it has a great collection. Corcoran and Renwick galleries are also good.
  12. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Since Michelle Kwan likes to eat at Circa in Dupont Circle, you'll have to head there for brunch or dinner. :)

If you arrive early enough on June 1st, you could catch the afternoon game between the Nats and Phillies. Otherwise the Nats are on the road the rest of your time in DC.
  13. Marge_Simpson

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Is anyone interested in meeting up for dinner or lunch?
    I am free any day for lunch (or afternoon tea! hint, hint) except Saturday June 4,
    and free for dinner every day except the 2nd (meeting Rob again :))
  14. Marge_Simpson

15. acraven

acraven Active Member

Marge, I'll be in town while you're in DC and am free to get together for food or sightseeing. I'll PM you contact information.

I saw Sondheim's Follies at the Kennedy Center earlier this week. Bernadette Peters is starring. The voices were good and I enjoyed the play. It's pricey and probably close to sold out, but I imagine single tickets are likely to pop up. The Millennium Stage at the Ken Cen has free performances daily at 6 PM: http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/schedule.html

The Renwick Gallery (Penn. Ave near the White House) has a craft invitational running now. The featured artists work in stained glass, porcelain, silver, and wood. I especially loved the porcelain. There are also pieces from the permanent collection on display. Entrance is free.

For a quick lunch of soup, salad, and/or sandwich, I recommend the Breadline at 1775 Pennsylvania Ave., near the White House and Renwick. It's a bit more expensive than other lunch spots of the type, but for good reason. Unless you can get there early or late, be prepared to grab your food and look for a park bench somewhere. Links to daily menus are here: http://www.breadline.com/menu.html

I also enjoy Eastern Market. The outdoor vendors (including craft folks and food-related stands) are in place on Saturdays as well as Sundays. The market is 2 blocks or so from the Metro.

It's likely to be hot. If you're short on indoor attractions you haven't already visited, the following are nice, architecturally: Union Station, National Building Museum (401 F NW; closed June 6 for special event), and Library of Congress.
  16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

The Newseum was my favorite place. I could have spent the day there. You can see the tiny set of "This Week", Tim Russert's office, newspapers from hundreds of years ago, part of the Berlin Wall... Total news geek blast for me. :)

Also agree with the Sackler/Freer recommendations. And strolling around the Smithsonian Gardens near the Castle is divine. I love the architecture of the American Indian museum, but am sort of 'meh' on the inside. Go hungry - their cafe is amazing (I saw lots of people coming in from local companies to eat. The old overcrowed NYC one still has a place in my heart.

If you can get to it, go to Udvar-Hazy Air & Space museum - it's jaw dropping for space fans. http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

My tips? Comfy sneakers and a metro card. I did both before our September trip and it made life easier. I'd go back again this summer, but my son is bored with DC for vacation. Think the heat and humidity did him in. :lol:
  17. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

My abiding memory of DC from when I went there in my teens is of the heat and humidity and a French woman who was on the tour with us fainting in the Capitol. :lol:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Marge_Simpson

Newseum and Renwick are on my list of "must-sees". :)
    I went to the American Indian Museum on my last visit and plan to go again this time. I was pretty underwhelmed with the exhibits, but I thought the gift shops and the cafe were the best of all the Smithsonian museums. I am planning to stop in one afternoon and eat lunch there.
    Can anyone tell me the best way to get to the Hillwood Estate? It looks like it's tricky to get there by public transportation, should I just get a taxi?
  19. acraven

acraven Active Member

I've never been to Hillwood, but Google says it's just 0.7 miles from the Van Ness-UDC Metro. The actual distance might be a bit longer, but it still shouldn't be a bad walk if you can tolerate our weather.

If you want a combination of public transportation and cab, you can take Metro to Woodley Park-Zoo (two stops closer to downtown) and walk uphill on Connecticut Ave to the large hotel that will be on your left. Should be cabs there. It might be equally simple to get a cab at Van Ness-UDC or the stop in between (Cleveland Park), but I don't know whether there's anything resembling a cab stand at either one.

Incidentally, there are a lot of moderately priced, ethnically diverse restaurants near the Woodley Park-Zoo station. (Possibly near Cleveland Park and Van Ness as well, but again I'm not familiar with those.)
  20. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Have you been to the Spy Museum? It's near the Verizon Center - just a few blocks from the Chinatown Metro stop.

I might be able to make a meet-up, if you guys decide to do another one. I missed the last one due to stupid broken leg (and I think snow may have been involved, too).
  21. Marge_Simpson

I'd love to do a meet-up. :)
  22. flyingsit

I'm in, schedule permitting!
  23. toepick

toepick Member

I live a block or two away from it. It is easily accessible from the Cleveland Park or Van Ness-UDC Metro.
  24. Marge_Simpson

I can do lunch (or afternoon tea, if anyone is interested in that) on Thursday, Friday, Monday or Tuesday. Brunch or lunch would work on Saturday or Sunday, but I'd need to get to the Kennedy Center by 2 PM saturday and 1:30 PM Sunday.
    I can do dinner on Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. I could also do dinner on Friday, but would need to leave in time to get to the Kennedy Center by 7:30 PM.
    Hope to meet some of you soon! :)
  25. aliceanne

I can do Friday lunch or Sunday brunch.
  26. Marge_Simpson

I'm staying up all night, because I am NOT a morning person, and I have an early train. If I go to bed, I will not get up on time.
    *Marge opens another Starbucks frappuccino*
    I will sleep on the train, it terminates at union Station, so there is no danger that I will wake up in Florida. :lol: I've resigned myself to be useless for the rest of the day, however, but I will check back here on Thursday.
    On the off chance that I feel reasonably alert in the evening, I may get myself to the Kennedy Center and see if I can get a ticket for the NBC gala. Is anyone else planning to attend? We could meet during the intermssion if I manage to haul my but over there.
  27. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Safe travels, Marge! :)
  28. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Do they not have alarm clocks in NYC? :shuffle:
  29. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Hope you had a safe trip, Marge, and are enjoying the Kennedy Center gala.

I can't do anything on Friday, but I could do lunch/brunch/dinner this weekend or dinner on Tuesday.
  30. Civic

Civic New Member

Two Washington, D.C. restaurants I enjoyed when I was there for Worlds in 2003:

Jaleo's. Spanish restaurant that serves wonderful tapas.
    Teaism. Asian-influenced tea shop that serves meals in binto boxes.
  31. flyingsit

Jaleo is one of my favorite places!

I can't do a weekday lunch, but am available most other times.
  32. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Aside from the memorials, I really enjoyed just walking around the DuPont Circle (with a stop at Kramerbooks) and Georgetown neighborhoods. The later's a little more annoying to get to as there's no subway but they do shuttle buses from DuPont.

On a beautiful day like this I wish I could transport myself there lol.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  33. Marge_Simpson

Of course we have alarm clocks. Alas, we do not have alarm clocks that are wired up to your bed and will tip you out when the alarm goes off. :lol:

I am a total night owl, also, once I am asleep, a marching band could stroll through my bedroom without waking me.

I am in Dc, whee!
    And it as hot as hell.
    I ate at Circa yesterday but did not see MK.
    NBC tonight, I am psyched.
  34. flyingsit

Marge, this weather is nothing compared to the past few days. It's been in the mid-upper 90s all week until now, so consider yourself lucky. :)
  35. mon125

mon125 New Member

If you still have some time, I highly recommend to you or actually anybody to visit the special exhibition: State of Deception, the power of Nazi propaganda at the Holocaust museum. I took the guided tour which lasted aprox 45 min and then stayed another 1 hs. I has excellent material and films made by the Nazi showing life at the ghetto (it is shown in a small monitor).
  36. acraven

acraven Active Member

I was thinking about Teaism yesterday. I love stopping there on hot days. It has quite a lot of indoor seating (some in the basement), and the ginger limeade is very refreshing. I also enjoy the chicken salad (contains apples, so not for those who dislike sweet salads) and coconut rice pudding. Teaism is on 8th St just north of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Thanks so much for mentioning this. I haven't been to the Holocuast Museum in ages, and this is an exhibit I'd especially like to see.

Marge: I've got some info on two chocolate shops: Artisan Confections near the Clarendon Metro and Biagio's a bit farther from the Dupont Circle Metro. If you need the info before we meet up, call and I'll give it to you over the 'phone.
  37. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Hee. I love when this happens. That was the last exhibition my ex-husband curated there. ;) And actually it is really good.

I just saw this thread and could do a meetup Sunday, I think...has any time been set? And flyingsit is totally correct about the weather, today is beeyotiful compared to what the last few days were like!

And there's another Teasim near Dupont Circle, on R Street just west of Connecticut.
  38. acraven

acraven Active Member

This is a summary of who is probably available for meals, based on posts in this thread:

Fri lunch: aliceanne, acraven, Marge
    Fri dinner: flyingsit, acraven; Marge to KenCen by 7:30 PM

Sat lunch/brunch: flyingsit, Debbie S, acraven, Marge to KenCen by 2 PM
    Sat dinner: flyingsit, Debbie S, acraven, Marge

Sun lunch/brunch: aliceanne, flyingsit, Debbie S, PRLady, acraven, Marge to KenCen by 1:30 PM
    Sun dinner: flyingsit, Debbie S, PRLady, acraven, Marge

Mon lunch: acraven (2:45 appt.), Marge
    Mon dinner: flyingsit, acraven, Marge

Tue lunch: acraven, Marge
    Tue dinner: flyingsit, Debbie S, acraven, Marge

Based on info available to me, the single best option (everyone seemingly available!) is early brunch on Sunday. Does anyone know of a good brunch spot that would be convenient for Marge, given that she needs to be at the theatre by 1:30? I don't frequent DC brunch spots.

Sunday night is the next best option, then a Saturday meal or Tuesday night.

Marge would like to fit in afternoon tea. Teatimes are as early as 2-4:30 PM and as late as 4-6 PM. This can only happen on Fri, Mon, or Tue since Marge has afternoon plans on both Sat and Sun. Is there anyone (besides me) available on one of those weekday afternoons?

Also for Marge: Artisan confections, chocolatier near Clarendon Metro, will be discounting everything 20% on Saturday. The stuff will still be expensive, but think how much you could save if you bought lots! :slinkaway
  39. aliceanne

I didn't realize Sunday night was an option, I could do that.

If we want to do brunch we would need to stick to Foggy Bottom area in order to get Marge to the KC in time. The Watergate Hotel is near KC, but it may be pricey.

IMHO the Dupont Circle/Connecticut Ave. area offers the best selection of restaurants.
  40. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I'm now otherwise committed for both brunch and dinner. :( (I'm only in town every other weekend and things stack up.)

But I also can do Saturday brunch/lunch or Monday dinner, after 6.