Tour de France 2013

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Garden Kitty, Jun 26, 2013.

1. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

According to my local tv station, the director of Team Saxo criticised Belkin's attitude of choosing to attack exactly when Valverde had a technical problem. Lack of fair-play he says.
    Meanwhile, Movistar was getting so much criticism for their strategic choices today that they chose to suspend their facebook account.

2. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

I cant stand Cavendish but I do agree throwing urine is too much.

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

One of the reporters asked Mollema if it was unsporting to attack when Valverde had a mechanical, and he responded that Valverde has been "unsportmanlike in the past few years too" - presumably referring to Valverde's Operation Puerto related suspension.

Froome's lead is large and he still only has to follow wheels in the mountains, not attack, but it's nice to see some excitement in what appeared to be a very boring GC race. And I love echelons - it's like the spring classics in the heat!

I can only imagine what the "Dutch corner" will be like on Sunday's stage with Mollema and Ten Dam so well placed on the GC!

4. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

Very exciting stage- great to see. I wasn't bothered by the attack- it was already underway when Valverde had problems. Mostly, I was wondering why he didn't just grab a teammate's bike. Bad choice.

5. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

It was indeed a very exciting stage.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Cavendish's tweet about today's stage:

7. doubleturn

doubleturn Rinkside on my iPhone

Casual cycling follower question here:

Does GC = General Classification? Does this refer to the overall standings/order of the riders?

8. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Hi doubleturn!

Yes, GC does mean general classification.
    The leader of the general classification gets to wear the yellow jersey. It is an overall standing measured in time.

9. doubleturn

doubleturn Rinkside on my iPhone

Thanks DaiKozOda!

10. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Anytime :)

Stage 16
    Interesting attacks by Contador but Froome was able to respond with the help of Porte. It looked like Contador was expecting some sort of help from Movistar riders. He and Froome almost went down in a curve. I'm glad nothing bad happened.
    Rui Costa won the stage in an emphatic way. He must be very proud of this victory after having won the Tour of Switzerland last month for the second year in a row.

Sidenote: today there was a weird/funny moment during the stage as the bunch had to stop in order to wait for a train to pass lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrcdDV7fTsY

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

While the GC race isn't very exciting, the race for the other spots on the podium is interesting. I also think the last sprint in Paris will be more exciting than usual this year!

12. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Sad for Jean-Christophe Peraud. He had to abandon today.

13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

14. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

Except it looks like LeMond is just slightly ahead of Hinault.....

Thanks for the pic.

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Orrica Green Edge having fun with the fans on Alpe d'Huez

I can't bear to look at the pics from Bauer's crash. Hoogie's rear into the barbed wire was bad enough last year, I can't imagine going head first into barbed wire!

The GC race isn't exciting this year, but I do wonder if Rolland can pull out one more mountain point tomorrow for the polka dot jersey.

16. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

No, the GC looks pretty sewn up, but I'm glad to see Froome winning. I thought he was the stronger rider last year.

It's the daily races that have really made this tour interesting. In fact, I've been enjoying this tour more than most in recent years.

17. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Thrilled for Rui Costa and his second stage win.

18. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I have no clue about cycling, but I'm happy about Nairo Quintana winning this stage, on Colombian independence day, of all days :) He is from very humble origins, and it's nice that he's had such success.

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

He not only won the stage, but the "polka dot" jersey for best climber - which is quite an accomplishment. the pics of his parents watching his stage win was adorable.

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

And best young rider. Incredible for him :) :) :)

21. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

22. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

So Movistar really had a strong 3rd week after that terrible time at stage 13. Rui Costa won two stages and Quintana won one. Valverde made it back to top 10. Quintana won two jerseys plus being 2nd overall. Wow.
    It will be interesting to see how Quintana's career will develop.

23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Anyone following Oleg Tinkoff's tweets? He had a run of obviously drunken, obscene tweets that were taken down, but even yesterday he was griping that he paid Contador to win, and he didn't win and that's not fair. He also had some pretty blunt tweets about Froome.

I can't see how a company like Saxo Bank can link their brand to Tinkoff and his unpredictability.

re Bert:
    more on Bert:
    re Bert and Froome:
    Although apparently he won't be co-sponsoring Team Saxo based on this response to one of his followers:

24. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Oh dear... At first I thought it was someone impersonating Oleg but apparently it's really him!