Toughest competition ever- ladies

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by briantoronto, Sep 4, 2013.

Which lady had it toughest for competition and field

1. Ito

20 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Kwan

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Slutskaya

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Kim

39 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Asada

29 vote(s)
    31.9%
  6. Yamaguchi

19 vote(s)
    20.9%
  7. Witt

18 vote(s)
    19.8%
  8. Lynn

16 vote(s)
    17.6%
  9. Baiul

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  10. Kerrigan

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  11. Chen

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  12. Ando

12 vote(s)
    13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Asada because she could have won every other Olympics by miles. Kim is so good that she beat 3 triple axels by 20 points. Asada's competition couldn't get much tougher than that.

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Asada's 2010 performances winning any other Olympics or not would make an interesting topic. I do think under COP it quite possibly would have even with her mistakes. Under COP she probably beats Kwan and Lipinski of 98, Hughes of 2002, and the only possible loss might be to Ito in 88 in fact. Under 6.0 though, it would be hard with 2 glaring mistakes to beat Lipinski and Kwan from 98, and maybe even Yamaguchi and Arakawa of 92 and 2006, but she would probably have constructed a whole different program to begin with under 6.0.

I am surprised Lynn doesnt have more votes. Competing against Schuba is almost impossible to win for an obvious reason, regardless what one thinks of her free skating. She also competed against numerous skaters who were exceptional in both figures and free skating- Lynn Holmes, Magnussen, Seyfert, Fleming, Maskova, a Hungarian skater whose name I forget. Winning so many medals with her iconic free skating alone against that group, despite always being poor in figures, shows why many consider her the greatest free skater ever still today.

3. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Kim and Asada I consider two of the top 5 women skaters of all time. So they had the hardest competition, each other. The next closest would be Ito and Yamaguchi. Slutskaya is barely a top 15 skater all time, if that, and she was Kwan's biggest competition so I wouldnt pick Kwan.

4. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

The poll results are perfect. Kim and Asada by far the msot and Kerrigan and Baiul by far the least. Kerrigan and Baiul's main competition was each other since the judges underrated Sato, Chen, Choinherd, Harding, who were all better skaters than both of them so much. There couldnt be much easier competition than that.

5. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

The judges underrated Chen and Sato, (especially Chen) but I don't think Chouinard and Harding were. Chouinard had many opportunities to medal and win big titles. She blew every single one. Harding was no longer a factor in competitions starting in 1992 worlds, where she barely landed 2 triples across her SP and LP.

6. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Active Member

Kim and Asada overrating on this poll. Yes they face each other and both great skater but no prime at same time. Asada prime from 2004-2008 and Kim prime from 2009-2013.