ToToToToT: The Ghost and the Oiliness

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by falling_dance, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Shampoo

Superhero movie rumours:

Ant Man
    Doctor Strange
    Assassin's Creed
    Fantastic Four
    Luke Cage
    Dead pool
    Red Sonja

2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Red Sonja.

imaginary animal friends:

Berengaria the Brachiosaurus - friendly neighborhood dinosaur with a curious habit of switching her appearance from that of her actual existence in nature--what Gwyneth Paltrow might call a "Darth Maul meets punk rock" look before an unimpressed T. Rex started a thread calling on his fellow biped carnivores to dispatch her--and the gentler, kid-friendly, longer-necked Brontosaurus of children's textbooks. Comparatively Lilliputian friends wear gas masks in her odorous presence; she used to think that these masks were her companions' actual faces. Now suspecting that they're really organic, green-man-like coverings, she tries to eat them, as Don José has just learned to his near-fatal cost.
    Michael the Bull - sometimes ill-tempered, more often cheerful taurine speculator and recreational dancer. Gored one of the producers of Soul Train for refusing to have him on after he wrought havoc on the set of Dance Party USA. Big fan of Dennis Coffey. Needs to stop quoting Scent of a Woman and The Godfather Part III(!) all the damn time.
    Edward the Hyracodon - decent LaRouchefoucauldian moralist of the group (whose abhorrence of sloppy thinking spares most Foucauldians but none of the LaRouchites). Antique book collector and occasional potter who fires the kiln all by himself.
    Tennyson the Tapir - well-meaning dullard of a woolly tapir who plays chess with Edward via e-mail; tried to get a philosophy club going but gave up on it after six weeks of high schoolish "Is there a personal God?" debates. A good swimmer but an incompetent diver.
    Thylias the Tapir - friend and occasional sparring partner of Edward. Though often solitary (the better to compose verse and forage for berries), she takes time to explain Limited Flehmen Theory to fellow tapirs and other creatures with an interest in poetic, olfactory, and three-dimensional approaches to mammalian literature, psychology, and epistemology.
    Don José del Escocés the Weasel - nimble, industrious, somewhat entitled Mustela nivalis with an inclination to costumed, high-stakes disputation. Was rescued from a chewy demise thanks to Michael's butting and and his own well-projected vocalizations. Will go for the jugular (literally) of anyone who speaks ill of Tessa Virtue or PwC Canada.
    Purple I'm reporting this post right now.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  3. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

You've really outdone yourself this time, f_d. :rofl:

I'm opting for Tennyson the Tapir, as I suspect that he (or she :p) is actually sharp as mustard and thinks of herself (sorry, himself) as a dullard only because of the fear that someone else will get the insult in first. She (oh sorry, he), for some reason known not to me and probably not to her (sorry, him) either, makes the Brobdingnagian error of supposing that she (sorry, he) is not really up to scratch. And there's the rub; we all have a weakness and that's Tennyson's.
    School report: A for Philosophy, B+ for swimming and C- for diving.

PS. Tapirs are not woolly; doesn't the author know anything at all? :rolleyes:

Zero carbon
    Zero waste
    Sustainable transport
    Local and sustainable materials
    Local and sustainable food
    Sustainable water
    Natural habitats and wildlife
    Culture and heritage
    Equity and fair trade
    Health and happiness

4. falling_dance

Wikipedia lied to the author. :mad:

Sustainable water, though it's hard to choose.

1) #993

2) What would the author do without Wikipedia?

use actual encyclopedias
    simply do without the easy information
    run her own geocities-caliber site with skating results tables and choleric posts about Bourne/Kraatz
    read more books
    get out more
    maintain a vegetable garden in the side yard
    take up bowling

Hmph. No spot for Tennyson at the London Oratory then. At this rate, Islington Green will find some way of rejecting him/her/er. :drama:

5. orientalplane

You don't want to go there; you might bump into Leo Blair the Younger.

6. falling_dance

Then I'd be disappeared, emerging only later during a 22nd-century excavation of Gielgud's old country pile. :sekret:

Or not. Anyway, there's always Holland Park Comprehensive...I guess.

7. falling_dance

Also, in less distastefully tinfoiled news, I have a new thread title.

8. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Should we get on with it?

oui
    non

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. falling_dance

Oui.

Does "getting on with it" mean starting the thread now, or going up to exactly 1,000 posts?

It means starting now.
    It means going up to 1,000 posts.

:saint:

10. falling_dance

Moving on...

11. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Now

For the new thread - will the Eurovision Song Contest still be going in another 50 years - yes or no?

12. orientalplane

It's already started, Maofan. :)

13. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Many thanks - didn't spot it on my tiny iPhone screen