Torvill & Dean will skate with the Olympic torch in Nottingham on June 28

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/N...Torvill-Dean/story-16450762-detail/story.html
    Anyone here attending the sold-out Ice Gala at the Nottingham Ice Centre on Thursday?

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  2. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

It's a neat idea, but it seems weird to me. To have the torch stop and be involved in a figure skating routine? I get the homage bit, but...it's a slippery slope away from the torch being invited to a 12 course "homage to the torch" dinner where it sits at the head of the table.

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about the torch.
    I look forward to this
    Torvill and Dean are the masters of their art.

I'm sure that whatever they do will honor the Olympics; and bring credit to them.

5. alij

alij Active Member

I don't know what has happened in previous Olympics but here in the UK there has been a celebration every day when the flame stops its travels for the evening, Nottingham happens to have chosen the Ice Centre for part of its celebration

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Sounds awesome. Will it be televised? I hope so.

7. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Oh, okay. It now makes more sense.

8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

How about Bolero With The Torch?

9. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I love Bolero. Sounds like a good idea. :D I can't wait to see them skating with the torch. :respec:

10. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

When i became aware of the show it was already sold out, but when i tried to look at who was skating it seemed to be just the skaters that are at the National Ice Centre (including exhibitions from the hockey and speed skaters).

While a lot of the country's top skaters train there it's not quite on the level of the Ice Gala they did for the Queen's Golden Jubilee where the worlds top figure skaters came to the gala along with pros with impressive resumes.

This coupled with a well past their prime T&D didn't seem a great sell to me :shuffle:

11. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

I would have gone had I known about it :)

12. IceDanceFan1

IceDanceFan1 New Member

I think it will be on the local news in Nottingham in the UK but not sure it will be globally televised! Hopefully someone will put videos on YouTube!

You can follow updates on the event through the National Ice Centre Twitter page: http://twitter.com/nat_ice_centre.

Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland are also taking part in the gala. They have been tweeting updates and pictures about their rehearsals this past week:

http://twitter.com/pennycoomes
    http://twitter.com/n_buckland

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

They performed a routine with the torch and then apparently carried it later to its overnight stop. You can read about it and watch the video here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18616439

14. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Not bad.

15. indyw

indyw New Member

I managed to get tickets to this :)
    It was awesome. Went on for around 2 hours and was hosted by Robin Cousins. Not bad for a free show.

Jayne and Chris only skated for around 5 minutes of it with the torch to a specially commisioned piece of music and it really was amazing. The rest was taken up with all types of skaters at all different levels of the academy at Nottingham - something like 200 performers in total. As well as the larger groups of skaters there were (from the program):

Emma Litherland and Alfie Doran
    Ellie O'Connell and Joshua Tarry
    Lauren Bell and Sam Lawrence
    David Richardson (skated to Fever)
    Tigran Vardanjan
    Olivia Smart and Joseph Buckland
    Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland
    Nottingham Synchro Academy

Rosemary Conley and Tristan Cousins skated with the adult class.

There were mini races from the GB speed skating team and the Nottingham speed skating club, and the junior and senior Nottingham Lions Ice Hockey teams, as well as a choir and a brass band.

Penny and Nick were fabulous :)

I took an awful lot of photos!

16. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

Wow. Chris Dean is still looking good, I see. :D

17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

That looked really good. Thanks for posting.

18. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

victorskid, thank you for sharing the link. Torvill & Dean looked sensational. What a historical moment for them. :respec: