Torvill & Dean as individual skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lulu, Oct 24, 2012.

1. lulu

lulu New Member

It is not hyperbolic to say that T&D changed ice dancing forever, with their groundbreaking creative OSP and FD. They also were excellent in compulsories. With all that, how did Jayne & Chris as individual ice dancers, compare with history's other great ice dancers in term of line, extension, edges, speed, musiciality, difficult footwork and other criteria?

2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Jayne was from a pair skating background. So she must have already had very good core strength for Chris to be lift and throw her around every which way and shape possible.

3. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

There are short sequences in documentary vids that show her in her early years with her partner. Interesting fact: she's a clockwise skater.

4. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

They're probably the greatest ice dancers of all time in terms of edges musicality, and content. What was amazing about their choreography was not only could they cram in a ton of content into each and every program but they made it look effortless and each step perfectly expressed the character of their programs. They clearly had an understanding of the sport that virtually no other couple had. In terms of line and extension, I like Klimova & Ponomarenko better (their ballet training probably helped in that regard). And I thought Grishuk & Platov had better speed and strength of stroke (I also thought G&P had stronger free legs). But otherwise, no one can really touch Jayne & Chris in virtually all aspects.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Wow, want to ask a bigger question? :lol:

They couldn't have been the great skaters they were as a team if they weren't great skaters individually. And breaking down their individual abilities into all those components and then making such detailed comparisons with a lot of other skaters is pointless. It's being great at all those things that made them the standard, not just being great at some and not so great at others.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

They are one of the few teams that one wouldn't work without the other. Dean probably stands out for the choreographythat he gave them but I don't think you can look at them as individuals because the partnership was so perfect. But as overedge also says, they have to be great skaters individually to be able to achieve what they did.

8. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Teams with that kind of matching (Drobiazko and Vanagas and Bourne and Kraatz) made the sport a true combination of athleticism and art. It is especially obvious when you have couples where one partner's skills impede the team (Scary Babs and Maurizio MaFallio, for example).

9. lulu

lulu New Member

Thank you so much! I realise it is perhaps is a bit difficult to analyze T&D as individual skaters when their partnership was such a seemless blend of the contributions of both skaters.
    :)