Toronto Police Officer's Funeral Today

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jan 18, 2011.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Is anyone else watching the coverage? The start of the service at the Toronto Metro Convention Centre's been delayed by a half an hour due to the sheer numbers of the North American Police Fraternity and Sorority that have come to take part and to support the Family.

For those who don't know...Last week, a homeless man stole a snowplow and then went weaving and hitting various vehicles, as well as going through a Ferrari dealership, and obviously was a danger to the Public. Sgt. Ryan Russell was on his way to work when he heard the call, radioed in that he was going to try and head this guy off and...He was literally mowed down.

Sgt. Russell has left behind his wife Christine and a 2 year old son Nolan. :(

Just my own observations watching the coverage on TV...I have *never* ever heard Downtown Toronto that quiet before. Never.

My cousin is an OPP Officer and the husband of a good friend a Canine Officer w/the Greater City of Sudbury Force. So at times such as this, it does hit close to home that it could be us in attendance at one of these sad services when I think of the Family and Friends of Sgt. Russell today and my heart just goes out to them.

Our Police do so much for us and we don't really thank them enough.

May Sgt. Russell Rest In Peace. :(
  2. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I feel awfully sorry for his little boy and wife. Really horrid that he has to grow up without his father.
  3. AragornElessar

His wife is speaking at the Funeral right now.

I honestly don't know how she's able to do this. :(
  4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

His death was senseless and sad beyond words. May he rest in peace and my thoughts and prayers are with his wife and son.
  5. AragornElessar

CTV News Toronto ~ Slain officer put others first, recalls widow

Edited to add...You know, it's times such as this when I wish the News Organizations had never added comments to be added to their stories. Some of the disgusting things I've seen certain ignorant idiots post both up at the end of that story linked and over at the CBC just leave me speechless. I just hope and pray the Russell Family and Friends never see them. Sad these dingbats never did learn the lesson of there's a time and a place for everything. :(
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Emergency responders do a wonderful job and I feel blessed to live in such a wonderful city that has men like sgt. Russell looking out for us.