Toronto or Montreal- Help me decide?

Skittl1321

I want to go on a quick 3 or 4-day weekend trip for Memorial Day. It's cheaper to fly and stay in either of these cities than anywhere I'm interested in the US.

Which one would you go to? What would you do there?
(My husband speaks some French, and reads/writes more than that, if that makes a difference.)

We like history, food, zoos, and nature. Not a fan of art museums (that doesn't count as history).

Artemis@BC

Hmm, both are great cities. Toronto has better food IMO, and better variety, but that could be because I know it better.

Montreal OTH is unlike most other North American cities, so you'll have a very different experience there. And although your husband's attempts at French will be welcomed by some (and sneered at by others), you'll get along just fine with English only.

Neither city is a great destination for "nature," but both have great parks. And the Toronto zoo is probably the best in the country, and one of the best in North America -- plus they have pandas! And a new polar bear cub!

Oh and if you do go to Toronto, be sure to go to the Bata Shoe Museum. It's social history through shoes. Very cool, and unlike any other museum I've ever been in.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Both have their strong points - it depends what you're interested in.

Toronto has better museums than Montreal - if you like history the Royal Ontario Museum is awesome. Toronto's downtown is more spread out and the subway isn't as extensive. The "ethnic" neighbourhoods like the Greek area and Chinatown are great. Toronto is supposed to be the most ethnically diverse city in the world.

Montreal has better restaurants IMHO and its downtown is more compact and interesting to walk around. Rue St Denis is great fun, and for history there is the Old Port part of the city which dates from the 1600s. Montreal also has Mont-Royal park which is excellent for walking and sightseeing. Speaking French, or not speaking it, has never been an issue for me in Montreal - I have functional French and usually get kind-hearted clerks switching to English for my sake :) You might get some Francophones giving you the stink eye for speaking in English, but pretty much everyone in a customer service role has at least some English.

Debrah

Montreal, no contest! It is much easier to get around without a car - it's more compact, less spread out than Toronto, safer and has a more European less American feel to it than Toronto. Montreal has Mount Royal park and is a much older city than Toronto in terms of History, plus Quebec City or even Ottawa The capital of Canada, is just a hop skip and a short train ride away, if history is really what you are looking for... However, Toronto has more in the way of English theatre obviously, but you can still catch a movie in English, in Montreal and there is great shopping, neither city will disappoint. It is really what interests you more and there are good museums, as well as the Biodome, the Botanical Gardens, all kinds of things to do in Montreal too and if you have a rental car and have some extra time then either Granby Zoo and water park and Parc Safari in Hemingford are good choices for fun day trips out into the countryside...

manhn

I would choose Montreal. But both are great cities. I prefer Toronto for Asian food and culture. I also believe that Toronto has a more prominent Caribbean influence. But for a more Euro flavour, Montreal is the way to go.

star_gazer11

practising choreo
Another vote for Montreal. :cheer:

If I remember correctly, many retail people will automatically switch to English based on how you say 'bonjour' anyway.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Montreal!! Greatest city in the world :p and there are always a billion festivals going on!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Totally, Montreal. I spent a lot of time in Toronto two years ago and it's a nice place to live but not much of a tourist destination. The ROM desperately needs an update into the 21st century. It's a business city.

Montreal is quaint, cool and s little piece of Europe in Anerica. I'd go back anytime.

Erin

Banned Member
Montreal all the way! Echoing the same reasons as others...to me, Toronto is just a city but Montreal has a special feel. Really want to go back there.

If I remember correctly, many retail people will automatically switch to English based on how you say 'bonjour' anyway.

Totally.

gk_891

I would choose Montreal. But both are great cities. I prefer Toronto for Asian food and culture. I also believe that Toronto has a more prominent Caribbean influence. But for a more Euro flavour, Montreal is the way to go.

I love the Caribbean influences in Toronto. I've heard some people argue that areas in Toronto with a large Caribbean influence are supposedly 'shady'. But I've never had any issues when I visit those areas. I actually enjoy them a lot more than the 'good' areas which IMO are pretty boring.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Another vote for Montreal. I haven't spent much time in either city, but if I had to choose one to go back and spend more time in, it would be Montreal.

Skittl1321

I think we are going for Montreal. Thank you all for the help! Feel free to keep chiming in on what to do there.

Yes, I'd expect this.
It was a fabulous day for my husband when people in Mexico and Ecuador stopped switching to English when he spoke to them. Teaching yourself a language makes speaking very difficult, the same is true for English speakers who pick up new words by reading, they often say them wrong until they run across someone else who knows the word :) Just being able to hear what people around you say can be very useful though; and it seems taxi drivers rip you off less when you know the language.

I wish I was better at languages.

D

Deleted member 221

I'd vote for Montreal, too, but don't understand all of the Toronto hate! Beautiful waterfront, beaches in summer, ethnic communities / food, great coffee shops everywhere, great shopping, walkable downtown. Hopefully you'll get to both someday. :D

clairecloutier

Ive only been to Montreal once, but it was wonderful. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. if you like visiting cathedrals at all, there are 2 big Catholic cathedrals there--Notre Dame and another one, which I think is called Queen Mary of the World. The Notre Dame cathedral is particularly interesting. Also, the botanical garden and Mont Royal park are lovely.

paskatefan

Love BOTH cities, but my heart is with Toronto. We've been there @ least 5 times, and we NEVER run out of things to do, plus there's always something new to see/do there - theatre, waterfront, museums, the Toronto Islands, CN Tower, Casa Loma, Hockey Hall of Fame ...

DAngel

How many days would be reasonable to explore Montreal?

If I've been to Quebec city, is Montreal more of the same? Would Ottawa be a better destination to visit?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@DAngel Montreal and Quebec City are very different. Quebec City has a much larger "old city" and is much more French - speaking. Montreal is much more cosmopolitan and modern. If you've seen one you shouldn't skip the other.

How long it takes to "do" Montreal depends on what you are interested
in - and it is a great city just to walk around and look at things. But I would say 3-4 days is what you would need to at least get a feel for the place.

Ottawa is definitely not a substitute for Montreal - much more boring :) But it's worth seeing too, if only for the Parliament Buildings, and it's a very walkable city with good transit. You can do a day trip to Ottawa from Montreal on the train, and it's a very pretty train ride.

Johnny_Fever

@DAngelOttawa is definitely not a substitute for Montreal - much more boring :) But it's worth seeing too, if only for the Parliament Buildings, and it's a very walkable city with good transit. You can do a day trip to Ottawa from Montreal on the train, and it's a very pretty train ride.
There is this shopping mall we used to go to in the 80's, a few hundred yards from Parliament. The kids that hung out there were dead ringers for 80's pop stars. Boy George, Billy Idol, Cyndi Lauper, you name it. We'd go just for the eye candy. I wouldn't mind going back to Ottawa someday, just for the Rideau Canal Skateway, but its closed for the season. If you ever go, take an old pair of skates. Outdoor ice is torture on blades.

Last edited:

DAngel

Ottawa is definitely not a substitute for Montreal - much more boring :) But it's worth seeing too, if only for the Parliament Buildings, and it's a very walkable city with good transit. You can do a day trip to Ottawa from Montreal on the train, and it's a very pretty train ride.

Thank you, Overedge :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information