Tornado outbreak,everyone ok?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Andrushka, May 25, 2011.

1. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Are all the FSU folks who were in the path yesterday(and ongoing) ok? It continues today for us here in TN...we are in a HIGH risk now.

2. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

We've had fierce storms here in western Arkansas this week. A tornado killed three people in a small community about twenty miles from where I live last night. Lots of damage all over the area. The other side of the state is still reeling from floods. Farmers all over are ruined. It's been a very bad spring.

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

We're at the top end and are getting severe storm warnings and flash flood alerts, but so far, we've been spared the worst. Though anyone who lives near a creek may be in trouble.

4. Lynn226

Lynn226 Well-Known Member

We had to shelter in place during the visitation before a funeral in Kansas City. All is well.

5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

We're fine in N. Indiana but there has been a TON of rain and lots of thunder/lightning. Lots of flooding of fields and some homes. :( Plenty of tornado warnings/watches in the area and we've heard the siren a couple of times.

6. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

The devastation in Joplin, MO, is just mind-blowing :( :fragile: . Given that the level of damage (and how scary it was) here in Georgia, while :eek:, can't compare to what happened in there, it's hard to fathom how terrifying it must have been

I heard on the news yesterday that, as of the time they were on-air, that 120+ were killed, more than 750 were injured, and over 1500 people were still unaccounted for. Has that number been revised?

7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

At least 125 confirmed dead. :(

8. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

They're saying Western Kentucky will be under the highest risk tonight. Central Kentucky, where I live, is under a moderate risk for tonight.

9. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Fortunately the reported number of missing is also apparently going down as people have had more chance to re-connect with each other.

I feel for those in the zone this year. What horrible tragedies in Joplin and other areas this year. Everybody try to stay safe if you can.

I still live in the same area as I did growing up and in those days we had severe thunderstorms for sure but Tornado's were just unheard of. In the last 10 years that has changed for the worse and unfortunately without the history we have no warning systems in place. When I was younger I used to find storms fascinating - now I can't wait for them to stop.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  10. ChelleC

My area just went under a tornado watch, until 5 am.

11. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

I sat through a tornado on Sunday afternoon and didn't even realize it was a tornado. Just thought it was a bad storm! I thought I was hearing hail but it was really trees being uprooted. I did hear a big thud and saw later when I went outside that it was a tree that fell into the building next to mine. There were a couple of other trees that fell into roofs/windows of neighboring buildings and some trees fell across the street. My complex was evacuated for about two hours as well because of a gas leak. Just scary, weird, mind boggling stuff! It wasn't even an F1 yet when it hit us. I live in a suburb of Minneapolis and it started here, then went to North Minneapolis and did a lot more damage there. Only one person died though. I cannot even imagine what it was like in Joplin after what happened here! :(

12. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

We (Northwest corner of Georgia) supposed to get hit with tomorrow's wave of severe storms/hail/tornadoes :scream: :scream: . The area of concern actually goes as far as to include the Metro Atlanta area.

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

We are seeing the news here. It seems like it is a terrible tornado season. I can't help but think that you guys are getting the weather like we got here over summer but worse. I hope everyone is okay.

14. brina

brina Well-Known Member

Dealing with the brunt of it now in Louisville. I had to drive in the high winds and it was pretty terrifying!

15. ChelleC

I guess it's about an hour away from me then.

16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Went to the basement tonight because of tornado waring ( NE Ohio), but so far so good, just thunderstorms.

17. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Dinakt (and other FSUers), hope y'all stay safe and none of those storms hit hard. Or at all.

Surprise surprise (not), we're squarely in the area slated for severe storms/tornadoes in tomorrow's forecast starting midday and ending around 4am on Friday.

Oh happy joy :wall: .