Top Ten Things You Should Never Buy New

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missflick, Mar 28, 2012.

1. missflick

missflick New Member

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I disagree on housing. When the market tanks, developers are faster to drop prices.

3. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I would agree with the furniture one unless it is a fabric covered one. I really get a little squicked out by the thought of using a used mattress, couch, etc.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I think the list seems pretty stupid to me, in a top ten list i'd expect more everyday things to be on the list - pets, pre-med textbooks, bridesmaids dresses, houses and bikes are all what i would call "one off" purchases, that you either have a need/desire for or don't.

The "tips" were also in the league of tips like don't forget to pull down your pants before going to the toilet.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

After my bedbug debacle last year, I would never consider buying used furniture again, no matter how much money it saves me.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

This article is just one of the many "how to save money" articles that is either full of common sense or just doesn't apply. They are all over the place.

As for bridesmaid dresses, if you can rent one you're lucky. All FIVE weddings I was in were of the "it is going to be so cheap because we're having it made" variety (almost $200 for one) or the "I just know you'll wear it again and it is this odd dress at this specific shop and they are holding your size". I never wore one again. And they were all brides who preferred the matchy-match look so there was no choice about where to get the dresses.

7. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Good furniture can last a lifetime. If you just need something to live in a dorm for a few years, then sure--buy from another student moving out. But with things like bugs and other unmentionables potentially lurking in furniture, I would be careful about buying used. I would also never purchase furniture from places like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Some of those outlets won't even accept furniture anymore because of problems with lice, bed bugs, and other parasites being invested in donated furniture.

I also don't think it's a gimme to buy toys used. I was in a thrift shop awhile back, and the prices on their used toys was more than the cost of the same toy brand new. It makes no sense to buy something used with missing pieces for the same price or more than a new toy. Generally used toys are in such rough shape, it's the rare item that could withstand being heartily used by another child.

I think the bike suggestion is good, though. I'm surprised they didn't put cars on the list.

8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Bikes are a problem if you are small. In Los Angeles, for instance, it is very hard to find good used bikes if you are between 5'0 and 5'5." I have had a bike dealer tell me that is because those bikes are desirable for teens, women of all ages, and Hispanic men (who are smaller on average than non-Hispanic men).

With respect to jewelry, it is completely a matter of taste. Sure there are pawn shops with jewelry, but some people prefer modern designs or designing their own.

As for pets, I'm a big fan of rescues and shelters, having rescued both of my dogs. On the other hand, some rescue groups are impossible to deal with and impose onerous restrictions on people who want to adopt dogs. Poodle Rescue in Los Angeles is notorious; I know several people give up trying to adopt through them. And I've seen situations where rescue groups grab the most desirable, i.e., the most adoptable dogs from shelters and then turn around and charge pretty high adoption fees. Probably 80%-90% of the dogs available for adoption at the Los Angeles city shelters are pit bulls and chihuahuas (the latter because the major chihuahua rescue group in the city was shut down several years ago because the woman operating it was a pet hoarder). I think a lot of rescue groups are well meaning, but some, in their zeal to save pets, overlook that they can make it hard for some animals to find loving homes.

9. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Count me as another one who says that cars should have been on this list. There is an emotional aspect to buying a car new, and there is a warranty on a new car. But the value of a new car drops by thousands once you drive it off the lot and most lose a large chunk of value in the first four years. Some personal finance thinkers say that until you're a millionare(!), that loss in value represents too big a chunk of your financial life and that buying used cars is the only thing that makes sense. That sounds drastic to me, but it is a thought that is sticking with me.

I shop the consignment stores for clothes for me and little skateycat first. Sometimes I find some awesome shirts and pants, but that's about it. When he is finally ready to let go of old toys, I will take them to the consignment store for consideration, but we hardly ever buy their used toys. They sell gently used shoes, but I've never had any luck with used shoes.

10. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

And my adorable cat Honda was a rescue from under the trailer kitty from when my elderly uncle had to send all the kitties who didn't have names to to the shelter.

11. reckless

While new cars lose a lot of value when they leave the lot, I don't see used car prices necessarily reflecting that. I think used car prices are propped up significantly by dealers and manufacturers sending used cars out of the U.S., thereby diminishing supply, and using blue book prices as a way of ensuring that prices remain consistent. There also is the problem of dealers being unable or refusing to negotiate lower prices when people want to buy cars at the end of a lease. I know a few years ago, I tried to negotiate to buy my mom's leased car. The contract required her to pay $33,000, but the dealer would probably only get about $20,000 at auction. I offered $25,000, which even the dealer agreed would be significantly more than it was likely to get at auction, but the dealer still refused.

12. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I've often wondered what happens to the pets in foster care who are never adopted by anyone? Do they stay in their foster home forever or are they passed on to others in the program? Are they treated as members of the family or are they crated?

Wondering because I adopted a rescue. She had a foster sister who never had even one application in the year that they got her. They tried to get me to adopt her (another pitbull mix), but I know that one is all I can afford for now.

Sorry for being off topic.

13. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I agree with:

Pets
    Kids' clothing
    Bikes
    Designer labels
    Toys

I have to wonder why cars aren't on the list. New cars are so $$$. You can get a one-year old car for so much less.

14. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Cars, it depends on what you're buying and why. The average person, yes, probably okay getting it used if you know what you're looking at and have a good garage that can check it BEFORE you pay for it.

There is no way I'm buying furniture, except solid wood, from goodwill.

Bridesmaids' dresses? Setting aside that I've never seen expensive ones, though I'm sure they're out there for super high end weddings ($200 is not a lot for a dress, and once you're used to dresses that cost $2000, it's very clear what the difference is), relying on finding something used might work for a small wedding with few attendants and a bride who's not picky. Otherwise, the available sizes, colors, and cuts and the fact most Goodwills and SAs price formals in the $50 anyway means you're not really making life any easier...

Jewelry? What? Pawn shops aren't run by idiots. They know what jewelry is worth (in particular anything with gold.) On an intrinsic-value item, you're not going to pay much less than original retail, if that. More, if the price of gold's gone up since they acquired it. I doubt based on that the article author's even seen "Pawn Stars", let alone set foot in an actual pawn shop.

15. PDilemma

I agree with getting pets at shelters when possible (not always possible if you are not a dog or cat family). But I kind of dislike calling animals "used".

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I call Puff my secondhand dog...But I got him from his original owners via a stopover with a family while I closed on a house and his old owners had to move.

If you don't have specific needs with a pet (breed, age, coat, working/showing, allergies, etc) a shelter is the way to go. If you DO have specific needs, a small-scale reputable show or working breeder is the way to go. Pet stores aren't 'new dogs', they're God-knows-what from a CKC breeder (CKC= Continental Kennel Club, aka "We all got thrown out of the AKC for being puppy mills.")

17. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I disagree with most of it - mostly because of the word 'never'

Kid's clothes - I enjoy buying new clothes for my kid, thuogh most of it is hand me downs. Why shouldn't I enjoy buying a few brand new items?

Toys - sure, but trying to pick up toys in a thrift store - most of them are broken. Sometimes you need new stuff.

Bikes - sure - unless you are actually biking as a sport, and need the new equipment - chances are that parts for a used bike might be hard to get, that components on it doesn't fit your needs so you will have to replace it anyways.

furniture - really? most furniture gets a lot of wear and tear.

textbooks - I never wanted other peoples notes in my text books.

houses - Really depend on what you want. New developments can have many advantages, including gettings things the way you want it. My parents lived in the house my mom and her first husband build together for more than 30 years - the kitchen was EXCATLY they way she wanted it, and the house was unique.

Formal wear - I can see renting. Finding something that fit you and the style you need used might be hard. For guys: Buy one set at a good tailor. Fitted formal wear on guys looks a million times better.

Pets I agree with. Except the 'never'. If you have a burning desire to attend dog shows, you need a show worthy dog, and papers. If you want a show horse, you would be very lucky to find a resuce one (most of them have lots of health issues and are more suitable as lawn ornaments and light trail riding - all the power in the world to the people who can afford that though).

I would not really occur to me to buy jewellery used: I don't go looking for new pieces, usually my husband or I stumbles over something and buys it. I don't own a lot of big diamonds, more unique, artisan pieces

I don't really know anything about designer lables to know if it makes sense to buy used. Wouldn't it be last years fashion?

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I was also surprised about cars: Unless you are buying a classic (or future classic and how would you know?) then even the best cars depreciate quickly.

I bought my '98 Honda in 1999 with 11,000 miles (mostly highway) as the previous owner was taking the turnpike each day to work. I could not believe the difference in price and I still have that car today. Regular maintanence is all it ever needs except for a brake job last year. I won't let go of it as it is money in the bank as far as I'm concerned. If I WIN a new car fine--but otherwise let me have a car with a few miles. I am thinking of changing the color from black to white because our winters have become so mild (nah--climate change doesn't exist :mad:.) But that is it.

I would love to know why cars were left off of the list.

19. PDilemma

There are not often, in my area, pets other than cats or dogs at shelters. That is an issue as well. Because believe it or not, some people don't want a cat or dog. We have a rabbit and always will have rabbits. Once in awhile there are rabbits at shelters here, but you have to get really lucky to find one that way. My in-laws did last year, but she was literally the only bunny that had been at the shelter in a large metro area in ten months. One unfortunate reason for that is that many people think an unwanted domestic rabbit can be released to live on its own. They cannot. [On a side note, as it is almost Easter, tell people you know that they are pets who live for 8-10 yrs, require a lot of care and can't just be let out the back door if you are tired of them].

I have friends who have reptiles. Not my cup of tea. But they love them as pets. And, again, rarely at area shelters. In fact, in their experience, never at local shelters.

20. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Unfortunately, nowadays, a used car doesn't cost that much less than a new car. We went car shopping last year, and no way were we going to buy a used car with 20K-30K miles for a few thousand less than a new car.

ETA Today, a used Honda with 11K miles will cost you a lot more that it would have in 1999.

21. agalisgv

Hmm, I bought a used car recently, and it only had 20,000 miles on it. It cost less than a quarter of a brand new car. Granted I can be fairly good at bargaining on such things, but still.

22. reckless

I just did a search on cars.com in my area for Honda Accords. A new 2012 EX-L seems to cost between $27.50k to $32.5k, depending on options. A 2011 EX-L range from $24.9k to about $28k. The lowest-priced ones tend to have about 15k miles, though one at that price had 45k miles .

Also, used cars often have lesser warranties, dealers often give incentives on new cars, and financing is often easier for new cars. Those factors can offset some of the cost savings for buying used.

23. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

It depends on the used car you buy. If you are going for a small Honda with low miles that gets good gas mileage, then you are going to pay a lot for it. We just bought a used Fit for our kids, and we paid just a few thousand less than what a new one would cost--and we got a great deal on it compared to others that we looked at. We looked a long time before we found one we considered any kind of deal. Even buying from a private seller as opposed to a dealer (we bought from a dealer because the car was certified and thus had a warranty) doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

It also depends on what car sales in your area are like. I live in an area where used car sales are pretty brisk--we went to look at six cars in a row last Saturday that had sold that day--and so there isn't a lot of wiggle room for negotiating. And at all of those lots, we were told that they had nothing else in stock that would meet our needs.

As for the list, I've done everything on the list except buy jewelry at a pawn shop--adopted pets, bought my kids used clothes and toys, rented a bridesmaid dress, etc. I've even bought upholstered furniture, although always from people I know. I have the same reaction to this list I have to most--duh. I mean, really, if you are inclined to buying used things, you don't need a list like this, and if you aren't, then it serves no purpose.

24. agalisgv

True. I should say all the cars I've bought have been from US automakers. I suspect the price decline is higher.
    I bought one from a dealer, and everything else from private sellers. IME, you can get a way better deal with private sellers than you can with a dealership. Like, half the cost sometimes.

Also true about location being a factor.

I've had very good luck with used cars (low mileage, low prices, few problems). I realize that's not the case for everyone though.

25. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I thought that was true in the past, but my experience buying a car this time has been that for the kind of car we were looking for, private sellers were asking retail (and some MORE than retail) and were not willing to negotiate.

If I am going to pay retail, I want a car that I can return, with a warranty, new tires, and a full tank of gas, and I want it detailed. :soapbox:

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I know some people who talk endlessly about how buying a new vehicle is the worst purchase you will ever make but I just don't see it. A new car is expensive but no one says you have to go buy the $30,000 SUV. There are plenty of vehicles that are trustworthy, have good gas mileage, etc for around $20,000 If you take care of your vehicle you should go a long time before you have to put more money into it. A used car is already to that point (often times) and there is no telling when you will need to turn around and invest thousands to keep it running. The used cars that are not very old are still being sold for a very high amount so you might as well get the new one with a warranty! If cars lose so much value the moment they leave the lot, when will used car prices begin reflecting that?

27. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I bought a few used cars in my youth but my husband and I buy strictly new now and we drive them until they die. Might be different if we were buying one for the kids but that never happened. :lol: Our philosophy was - want a car? Get a job, a friend with a car or learn the public transit system really well. Terrible parents, I know, but it worked for us. If we had ever lived in the middle of nowhere that may have changed - don't know.

28. BigB08822

Trust me, it would have. :lol: I live in the capital of Louisiana but there is next to no public transportation around here. The bus system is horrible and you can spend hours getting from one part of the city to the other. Not to mention cities down here are much more spread out than in other parts of the country. Not having a vehicle is just not an option if you want to work and not be dependent on government assistance. The only option would be a friend who will constantly give you rides but how likely is that? We also have some of the highest insurance rates in the country so that doesn't help.

29. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:lol: I'm talking about teenaged kids in high school.

30. BigB08822

Oh, I know. Even things like a trip to the mall can take an hour and a half travel time depending on the time of day. Would you want to make that drive after a long day at work knowing it will take the rest of your evening? lol