Top Five Skating movie list

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by slicekw, Jan 26, 2011.

1. slicekw

slicekw Poster of Pet Vines

Whitney Matheson at USAToday posted my list of Top Five Skating Movies today! I sent it in special for Nationals.

Take a look, argue all you want :soapbox: :argue: . I had about 3 others, but these are the ones I picked in the end.

The Toe Pick movie will always be my favorite.

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Mixing figure skating movies with hockey movies is just ridiculous. Why not throw in Cool Runnings and do everything ice-related? Bad premise.

I agree that Cutting Edge and Ice Castles are the top two -- tied, possibly. I'd probably throw in On Edge at number 3, and Blades of Glory at 4.

3. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Aren't there only 5 skating movies?

4. slicekw

I wasn't originally going to mix the two, but wanted to improve the chances of getting the list published. And since both Ice Castles and The Cutting Edge have hockey player boys, it is not a stretch at all.

5. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

LOL! That's what I thought....unless you count all 4 Cutting Edge Movies!

6. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Just about...there aren't many.

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I figure the addition of hockey simply expands the appeal of the article. And they're all good skating movies, be they hockey or figure.

I really liked Mystery, Alaska. I haven't seen Miracle yet, but do intend to.

8. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

#1 Sun Valley Serenade! #2 the one with the 3 Stooges in it! Anything with Sonia Henie in it is in my top 5 :cool:

9. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I would put Snow White & the Three Stooges ahead of Blades of Glory. And I can't stand the 3 Stooges. Blades of Glory is completely unwatchable IMO. I turned if off after the 1st 5-10mins.

10. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

It's a good movie.

Congrats on getting your list published slicekw! :cheer2: Great plug for figure skating. :)

11. Artemis@BC

More watchable than all those ice princess / mean girl type movies, IMO. Gag me.

12. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

*Ahem* Slapshot is the greatest hockey movie of all time.:soapbox:

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  13. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

14. slicekw

Yeah, hockey was easier. For FS, I had to ditch Sonja Henie and wouldn't consider the other Cutting Edge movies. For hockey, I had to discard Slapshot and the Mighty Ducks.

15. dramagrrl

dramagrrl New Member

If you include TV movies, there have actually been quite a few figure skating movies. Almost all of them are terrible, but they're kind of fun in a so-bad-they're-hilarious way. Most of them are rather hard to find, but I'm amassing quite the collection... ;)

16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Initially I thought it would be only FS, but it was a good idea to include Hockey because there just aren't many FS movies, unless you include the TV ones, and they are awful.

I am surprised that Blades of Glory was ranked #2. To me it was the least desirable in the list. My list would be as follows:

1.Cutting Edge (my most favorite skating movie of all time)
    2.Miracle
    3.Ice princess (a bit cheesy but still good)
    4.Mystery Alaska- it was a pretty good movie
    5.Ice castles (too mushy for my taste but I love the music)

17. Artemis@BC

Resurecting this thread to add one I saw this weekend: Score: A Hockey Musical. I still don't think that hockey movies should be mixed with figure skating movies, but this one might come closest because it has choreography. :D

The movie overall is not brilliant by any means. The music is instantly forgetable (and downright awful in places), and some of the performances are painfully bad. But Farley is a very engaging, endearing character and his journey is one we're happy to go on with him. And the hockey choreographed numbers were just a whole lotta fun to watch -- worth watching the movie just for those bits.

Overall I'd give it probably a 5 or 6 out of 10, but 8/10 for the lead, Noah Reid, a definite talent I hope to see more from in the future. (And a whole new twist on the "triple threat" -- he can act, sing, and skate!)

18. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I still think that The Sarah Meier Story would make a good movie.

19. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Bravo! My former coach choreographed the strip scene. (The audience was filmed watching HER do the program, but she was taking off outer layers, nothing naughty.)

For kids, "Go Figure" is interesting, but it's really more about hockey.

I really like Hallmark Channel's "Ice Dreams" movie - different from the tv reality show. It was cute and slightly more realistic than "Ice Princess."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  20. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

That scene in Slapshot where the organist gets whacked in the head with a puck kills me every time.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Wasn't there supposed to be a movie based on the life of Apolo Ohno? I searched but could find any movie about speed skating at all. It is hard to believe that there has not been a single movie about speed skating. :(

22. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Because hockey and figure are both skating- so they both fit the theme of "best skating movies". If it was best "winter sports movies" then I think cool runnings would belong.

My top 5:
    1) The Cutting Edge
    2) Mighty Ducks (I'm calling this one "the series", but if I had to order them I'd say D2, then D1, then D3. Because I only get 5 total, and D2 and D1 would be on my list, I'm keeping them as the set.)
    3) Blades of Glory
    4) Mystery Alaska
    5) Ice Princess

23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Dan Jansen has a movie, doesn't he?
    ETA: A Brother's Promise.