Top Chef: Everything (meaning Emeril Lagasse's waist) is bigger in Texas

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

So, who's watching? Who do we hope falls on their knife first? How is it that Padhma never gains weight or ages?

Bring it on, Texas, style! The steaks are even higher :p
  2. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I love that they kicked out the guy who butchered the butchering. I hope the woman who got the hacked up tenderloin isn't hurt by his incompetence.
  3. Matryeshka

I think they took one look at him and said, we don't need Stephen II. I think it was Stephen--the little sommalier from the first season.

I was :eek: at the accomplishments all the chefs had. I'm behind. Not shocked that the vegan restaurant dude didn't make it in Top Chef Texas. I'm always shocked at people that have restrictions that go on any competition cooking show.
  4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Seriously! I don't understand why vegetarian and vegan chefs want to compete in shows like Top Chef or even Hell's Kitchen. They know that they're going to have to cook various pieces of meat and know how to work with its tastes.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Agree. The guy who runs a local vegan restaurant does cater all styles, but he brings a sous to do the meat/dairy tasting. Unless the competition allowed a sous, like Iron Chef, there's no way he'd survive.
  6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I knew vegetarian/borderline vegans in culinary school who had no problem HANDLING animal proteins. They weren't going to eat them, but they understood that if they wanted to work anywhere other than super-specialized kitchens, they'd have to suck up and deal and they did. And I've seen vegetarian and kosher chefs on Chopped acknowledge "Yeah, this isn't something I'd normally do, but game show..." I suspect ones who do "I have never handled meat and I shall never taste it and my morals are more important to me than the contest" are cast precisely because they'll bring the drama. (Especially if the casting director thinks they're big enough jerks other contestants will do stuff like try to slip gelatin in a vegan's food or something...)
  7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

He wasn't helped by the fact that he was only 22, either!
    His skill level sure didn't match his ego/arrogance.
  8. duane

duane New Member

I'm not watching. I'm now a TC boycotter. I'll watch again if they ever get rid of Tom (who is even annoying in the promos).
  9. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Chris Crary is my chef crush this season. Glad he survived at least to the top 16. :lol:

Heather and Nyesha's dishes looked and sounded really amazing. It looks like it will be a strong season for female chefs. :respec:
  10. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

A self-made man who fell in love with his maker. :rolleyes:
  11. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Was this the first show of the season? I saw it on the program guide but didn't have time to watch it.

Texas is the beef capital of the world. Just curious to see how the vegan/vegetarian chefs fare.
  12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

For some reason I am completely not ready for this. I didn't even set it to record or anything. Well, to be honest, I assumed my DVR would record it automatically since we had the previous season set to record but it didn't. I just don't know if I have the time or energy to get into yet ANOTHER show. I have never watched so much TV in my life as I have this season.
  13. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Exactly! I I have 2 DVRs and both of them have less than 10% recording space. I spend more time now trying to figure out what I can delete to make more room for the stuff that I don't have time to watch than I do watching any of the programs.
  14. BigB08822

I know how that feels! Now that I think about it, this probably didn't record because we have other things recording at the same time. It is time to set back up the DVR in the bedroom so we can have other things recording. I just hate watching TV in there.
  15. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

My TiVo didn't automatically pick it up, either. The listing "Top Chef Texas" didn't match "Top Chef." Same thing happened with the Next Iron Chef. The show's title in the listings is "The Next Iron Chef: Super Chefs" so it didn't match.

Fortunately, I've got about 50% free space assuming I keep up with the GP comps and delete them as I view them.
  16. Matryeshka

OMG! Nyesha was on the pilot episode of Chef Hunter. I saw her for just a second, and I checked her bio, and yes, it's her. I really liked her on Chef Hunter--she's very mellow and focused at the same time, which are not two traits you usually find in the same person.

Has this guy never seen this show before? Of course you don't use pre-cooked food on a COOKING COMPETITION.

ETA: The same girl that complained about the shrimp used pre-cooked tortillias! :rofl: Why are they all talking to this very articulate, well-spoken young lady who is wearing a dress any Disney princess would kill for like she's an annoying five year old?
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  17. BigB08822

Finally able to watch this after updating the DVR. Not in love with anyone but very happy Keith went home. He was an idiot for getting the precooked shrimp and who in the world volunteers to make a dish that you clearly have no clue about!? He made a burrito, not an enchilada! I got even more angry when he put the blame on the others for not telling him. I wasn't aware they were on the show to teach him how to cook basic things that most people know.
  18. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

(1) pre-cooked shrimp + (2) flour tortilla enchiladas = bye-bye

No argument from me.
  19. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Someone with Keith's lack of basic knowledge/common sense shouldn't even have made the top 16 contestants.