Top Baby Names of 2010

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'm not sure how they know since 2010 isn't over, but according to Baby Center, the top names are Sophia and Aiden.

The article lists the top 10 for each sex and other names on the rise.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My husband's annoying friends told us all about how they had chosen a "really unique name" for their first child before she was born three years ago. They named her Isabella Sophia. Daughter number 2 is due in February. I'm betting on Olivia or Ava based on the top ten list.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Uh oh, girls's name Bella is on the rise, I wonder why... :lol:

4. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Ugh.. it makes me so mad because I've liked the name Isabella (Bella) for the longest time (pre Twilight) and now I'm scared to use it because people will think we're Twilight fans.

5. KCC

KCC Active Member

Hmmm.... "Paisley" is rising in the ranks. I just can't imagine naming a girl Paisley. It is like naming a boy Plaid or Corduroy. Then there is always Linen, Satin, Silk, Cotton, Polyester, Fleece, Wool, and Rayon.

meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

So it's a girl? :) Isabella is a beautiful name and will outlive the Twilight craze.

7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I have a friend named Paisley and, shock and awe, she is a country singer.

8. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

No.. we don't know yet lol! We will find out on the 10th though. It's one of about 10 names (5 boy, 5 girl) on a list we have. We aren't actually naming peanut till we meet him/her in April :)

Isabella will out live the Twilight craze but I know I'm would get sick of people asking us or commenting. Maybe if we do have a girl and name her Isabella I'll have to get a onesie made up that says "No, I'm not named after Bella Swan!" lol!

9. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

What's wrong with Polly Esther? :lol:

cholla, Lizziebeth, nubka and 9 others like this.
  10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's fantastic! Let us know what you find out and hope everything goes well with the big sonogram! :)

What are your top 5 girl and 5 boy names?

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Bobalina, Isabella is a wonderful name. It is my sister's name. I picked it out for her when I was four because I thought it was a princess name :glamor: It will stand the test of time. Let us know what you are having! :)

I'm more annoyed because Sofia is what I've always wanted to name a daughter, if I ever have one

ETA - My sister is 18, and Isabella is also one of the hottest names down in Colombia. I like to think I started a trend. :shuffle:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

To me, Aiden is a girl's name. :shuffle:

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

WHAT!! My favorite name, and the name my son will have when that day comes, is Aiden. Ugh, I don't like to be trendy, I set the trends...damn it! Ok, ok, I totally got the name from Sex and the City years ago. :shuffle:

14. purple skates

I think it's a girls name due to a heroine in a favorite romance novel. :shuffle:

15. redonthehead

redonthehead Well-Known Member

Long before Twilight was ever written, if we had had another girl, her name would have been Isabella Grace (Bella Grace). We didn't have anymore kids at all. But my daughter loves the name and says if she ever has a girl then I'll get my Bella Grace ;) Even though we're Twilight fans, the name has nothing to do with the books/movies.

One of my heart kids is pregnant with a little girl and her name is going to be Kellan but spelled Kallan. It's funny because she's not a Twilight fan at all but we still pick on her about using Kellan Lutz's name. She was going to name her Sophia then decided it was too popular. Lol

16. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Probably where everyone else got it too. :lol: Seriously, reading the list brought forth a conversation I had with some friend in high school about names and how ridiculous new names were and if we EVER had children, we were going traditional. REALLY traditional.

I'm guessing a lot of girls then who are becoming mothers now had similar conversations--names like Sophia, Isabella, Olivia, Jacob, Aiden, are very traditional, very pretty, very safe names that people can pronounce. It's I think an anything-but-Tiffany type of name backlash. They're also all names that are more regal than cutesy. There's also a lack of traditional boys names spelled with an "i" on the girl names list, which is good, because every girl Taylor, Tyler, and Toni I met swore up and down they would name any female child they had the girliest name they could find.

While I don't think they'd be *quite* as popular as they are now, I think Stephenie Meyers is not the cause of Isabella's popularity. It's been popular/rising in the ranks for about five years now--she was just smart enough to latch onto a growing trend. I have so many friends that have had/plan on having/want to have girls that are SO MAD at Stephenie Meyers for taking "their" name.

17. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

My name fell out of the top 100 and I'm happy about that. There are waaaayyyy too many Ashley's out there. :lol:

18. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

If we did name our potential daughter Isabella it would be Isabella Grace. Grace is my mom's middle name.

oleada my niece's name is Sofia.. you don't see it spelled with an f here often.

Off the top of my head I can't think of all our names lol. We started talking about it before I got pregnant and wrote them down.. seems like so long ago! Some of them are:

Boy:
    Dexter (I know I know.. has trouble naming a girl after a fictional annoying girl yet has no issues naming a boy after a fictional serial killer lol! He'll likely just get called Dex)
    Elijah
    Sebastien

I know there were more I just can't think at the moment. We had Braxton on there but I've since decided I don't like it lol. The middle name will be Nathaniel after my fiance's grandfather.

Girl:
    Olivia
    Isabella
    Cecilia
    Felicity
    Lily

Middle name will be Grace for the reasons stated in my first paragraph lol.

Oh and we had our "big" ultrasound already and they wouldn't tell us what peanut was (hospital policy). I'm guessing everything is fine and we'll go over the results at my appointment on Monday. We have a 3D u/s on the 11th and hopefully if the little monkey cooperates we'll find out then :)

19. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  20. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Names are so hard.

Every couple of years, the potential names of my children have changed. And I'm sure I've been through the entire top 100 a dozen times over....and over and over.

I thank my mother everyday for my name. It's not super common, but common enough that it's not overly misspelled, mispronounced, and I don't cringe when I hear it. That's the important thing--remember that the name of a child should go further than fads, trends and fashion. And for the kid's sake, make sure its something that everyone can spell and more importantly pronounce. I am sure all of the teachers here would agree.

21. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

This will date me, but before there was Sex and the City, there was Aidan Quinn.

22. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

In the UK this year, the most popular names were Oliver and Olivia. :lol:
    What I would call old-fashioned names, such as Alfie, Freddie, Edward and Arthur, have come storming back, but name fashions are always cyclical.

Over the last two or three years, my own name has hovered at around the 50th most popular female name in the UK, though it is much less popular in the US.

23. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

If we had had girls, the choice of name would have been: Courtney, Heather, Nicole..

24. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

My daughters have normally spelled, not over common but not out of the ordinary names. You would be amazed at tge frequent mispronunciations and spellings we get.

25. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Bella is a beautiful name, but I agree that Bella Swan is about as annoying as a character can get. If I named my daughter Bella, I'd tell people it was after Bella Wilfer in Dickens's Our Mutual Friend. :D

26. genegri

genegri Active Member

One of my friends is named Belle and she was born the year Disney's Beauty and the Beast came out. But she and her mother both swore up and down that she was named before the movie was released and her name had nothing to do with the charactor. In fact, her mother was shocked when the movie came out. :D

Knowing her mother, I believe them. But they told me most people just say: yeah, right! :lol:

27. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

Siobhan is a good example of mass mispronunciations!

28. purple skates

My son's name is the same as one of the authors of one of the four gospels. Kind of hard to mess that up. :lol:

29. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Same! I have the traditional spelling of a unique name (that is falling in popularity, yessss). My mom, ever the school teacher, named all 3 of her children names that don't have nicknames. My siblings got much more common names.

I like slightly unusual, but not made-up, girls names. Claudia has been a favorite for a long time. The ones I most dislike are names that end in an "eeee" sound, like Kayleigh, Riley, Hailey, etc. And they always have 23408532 different ways to spell them, ugh. I do love Layla, though - thank you, Eric Clapton.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to boys names. No child of mine will ever be named Logan, Caden or Mason. :scream:

Like so many of my classmates born in the early 80s! Do you like Jessica too? ;)

30. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

My name hovers around the 175-150 mark. I use the Spanish pronounciation, though I don't mind the English one.

ETA: I'm pretty traditional when it comes to spelling names, because in Colombia mispelled or Americanized name are very low class. I like names like Sofia, Lila, Lucia, Alexandra, Daphne, Lucas - nie but not super common (except Sofia). Made up names are just dumb and not worth the hassle. When I worked for Head Start, there were tons of kids named Makiy'ah, Neveah, Brilee, Ja'quan, Maleighah (is Malia not enough?), whixh just...no words :scream:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010