Top 3 FDs of the winning teams in the Olympics

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by coraczek, May 2, 2014.

?

Which were the the best 3 FDs of the OG winners?

1. 1976 Pakhomova and Gorshkov

11 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. 1980 Linichuk and Karponossov

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  3. 1984 Torvill and Dean

126 vote(s)
    66.3%
  4. 1988 Bestemanova and Bukin

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. 1992 Klimova and Ponomarenko

102 vote(s)
    53.7%
  6. 1994 Grishuk and Platov

8 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. 1998 Grishuk and Platov

27 vote(s)
    14.2%
  8. 2002 Anissina and Peizerat

16 vote(s)
    8.4%
  9. 2006 Navka and Kostomarov

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. 2010 Virtue and Moir

109 vote(s)
    57.4%
  11. 2014 Davis and White

69 vote(s)
    36.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. coraczek

coraczek Member

Which are the best 3 FDs of the OG winners?

2. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

V&M, D&W, and K&P were my votes.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

K&P, G&P (98), D&W for me.

It is shocking that I left out T&D's iconic Bolero, but I thought everyone else will vote for it. To me, it was a ground breaker in ice dance, and I still enjoy watching it. It was also hard for me to not pick V&M's FD in 2010; it was gorgeous. This is a tough poll.

4. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

T and D, D and W, V and W with a close 4th place to K and P (and I would probably tie D/W and V/M's respective gold performances.

5. coraczek

coraczek Member

It is also tough for me. I asked for the best free dances, but I think it's impossible to be objective. For instance, I realise that 2010 V/M dance was a very good FD, but I'm sorry if it sounds blasphemous, it was boring IMHO. Their FD to Pink Floyd music from 2009 was so much more interesting.

Anyway it's nice to see that there are people who vote both for D/W and V/M. Sometimes I have the impression that you should be the fan either of one team or the other. It's good there are people who don't think that way.

6. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

K&P, T&D, and I'm the weirdo who went with A&P's Liberta - love that program, and I'm glad I'm not literally the only one....

7. coraczek

coraczek Member

I also love it.

8. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Well I thought it was sublime and original, Like Bolero. I find FDs skated to overused music with classical style choreogrpahy boring and unmemorable because everyone has already done it. There is nothing wrong with classical style it is just boring when everyone does the same thing. It takes a good skater to skate to subtle music.

9. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

T and D, K and P , V and M

10. grassroots39

grassroots39 Member

Linichuk & Karpanasov's would be excellent to save money at a dental clinic. You could numb the patient and cast them into a 2 hour coma or long deep sleep just from showing the first 2 minutes of it. Actually that could be said for all their programs. Dont bother with freezing, laughing gas, sleep needles, and all that expensive nonsense.

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

K&P and T&D without any doubt, since it is probably their own best FD. But for other teams, I think their Olympics FD was not their best program. Maybe V&M.

12. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

For the best dances T/D K/P V/M but my favs G/P Memorial D/W B/B :)I'm utterly fed up with Bolero now :rolleyes:

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Definitely T/D, K/P, and V/M. This poll ended up being easier than I thought. Many of the winning teams on this poll had better FDs than what they won the Olympics with, and a few Olympics had teams that didn't win who had better FDs than the gold medalist.

14. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

I am surprised D&W arent doing better on here. I thought their 2014 winning FD was stunning, precision, super polished which had been a weakness for them once, very fast, and essentialy perfect. Maybe didnt hit the emotional chord of V&M, T&D, and K&P the years they won though.

I also liked A&P's Liberty alot better than most and thought they skated it to near perfection in SLC. Dissapointed in their marks and narrow win.

2 people actually voted for N&K in 2006 and 1 for L&K in 1980 as a top 3 winning FD of all time. What are you people on. N&K only won with that generic Carmen showcasing all his weakness as a skater due to the super weak field that year, and mistakes by the only teams with the ability to beat them- D&S (all of them) and D&L. L&K didnt even deserve their 1980 win and their FD despite having some technical merits was a chore to watch.

15. Xela M

Xela M New Member

That's a million dollar idea :lol:

P.S. I couldn't agree more! Most overrated ice dance team ever!

16. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Bolero would have been the best Olympic free dance ever had T&D not performed it every 5 minutes for 30 years thereafter. It has become a total joke.

Although G&P's 1998 Olympic free dance was technically in a different league, I actually prefer their 1994 performance. In 1998 G&P both looked like hell and it was obvious how much pressure they were under. They seemed tense and very nervous. Whereas in 1994 they just came out and performed with so much fire, aggression and audacity that it was impossible not to take notice.

K&P's 1992 performance was also epic.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I hated Pasha's hair in 1998. It was much better later that year at the World Pros when she grew it out and she didn't look so old, and it wasn't that harsh blonde that washed her out.

18. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Based on the programs themselves, I went with three consecutive winners: Torvill and Dean, Bestemianova and Bukin and Klimova and Ponomarenko.

19. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I thought she looked so pretty with long brown hair. Natural and lovely. :) When it was dyed that horrid platinum blonde, she looked like someone else.

20. coraczek

coraczek Member

Judging by your unconditional love for Oksana, I bet you have chosen both of those FDs as the best:p

21. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Actually... I was going to, but I messed up and only managed to vote for their 1994 dance :duh: So there :p

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Too bad Anissina&Peizerat didn't skate Romeo&Juliet in 2002. This FD in Nagano was so beautiful. My favorite FD in Nagano.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  23. coraczek

coraczek Member

I must admit I was thinking about creating a poll for the 3 worst FDs of Olympic winners. But then I was afraid of the negative emotions it can cause. Maybe it’s not ok to vote for something worst and of course nobody would like to see their favourites as the leaders in such a poll. But it would be interesting to see if dances which now get hardly any votes, would lead such a poll. Not being the best doesn’t equal being the worst after all. For instance, hardly anyone has chosen Pakhomova and Gorshkov. But I believe their dance was very good, but we just don’t remember it, and are not emotionally connected to it. And although it doesn’t belong to the best dances according this poll, I’m also almost sure, it wouldn’t belong to the worst dances, either. People just feel indifferent to it.
    On the other hand, if there was a poll for the worst FDs, there is possibility, that some people could vote against the main competitors of their favourites.

24. coraczek

coraczek Member

Since they won in 2002, their choice of FD couldn't have been bad in that year, either:).

25. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

I agree with everything you say here.
    In Addition, a poll referring to all Olympic winning FDs of a discipline must bear abias because of the time gap between the oldest and the youngest. We all can refer to the most recent Champions and their rivalry, maybe some of us remember the competitions of twenty years ago. But we must be Aware that Pachomova/Gorshkov's career took place before quite a good deal of the members had even been born. We can all trace it back on YT, by watching the vids our parents have recorded, maybe, but the affinity will never be as strong as for those we can have "live".

26. coraczek

coraczek Member

That's true. The problem is similar with polls for the best skaters ever. Although in the latter case at least we can relate to number of titles, etc.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  27. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

Some may not like Liberty but it had far more content than R&J. Given the excessive politics and overscoring behind L&A in SLC, A&P needed that extra content to beat them as ridiculous as that is.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Now that's just silly.

For my part I made a poor choice and voted on my phone and mistakenly voted for DW as one of my 3 instead of KP. :(

Anyhow - what a lot of great teams!

29. rollingrace

rollingrace Member

Navka & Kostomarov and their exquisite Carman was the best ever. 2nd best ever was Torvill & Dean in 84, and Virtue & Moir of 2010 3rd.

30. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

I dont think many would choose Pakhomova & Gorshkov as either best or worst Olympic winning FD even if people saw them. They were somewhere in the middle as far as best Olympic winning FDs. It was excellent but we are talking about Olympic Champions so even something excellent could be in the middle or near the bottom, in their case in the middle.

I believe the ones people would probably vote most as the 3 worst are Linichuk & Karpanasov 1980, Navka & Kostomarov 2006, and one of Bestiamanova & Bukin 88 or Grischuk & Platov 94. The same teams that are last on this poll (other than P&G who as you said few have seen).