Top 20 female jumpers of all time

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Andofanatic, Apr 30, 2013.

1. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

^I think she only underrotated sometimes her 3-3, though I will check what you say about her lowness of the knees. I just think her landings were superb, soft and her jumps seemed effortless
    The 2 footed salchow I know is sort of a personal thing with Shizuka, though it didn't seem for me that prerrotated as say Goebel's...it looked beautiful, but I understand what you point out
    Anyway, I think the only textbook jumper I can think of in the female division is Rochette or Kim...anyone else has some sort of flaw

Actually, I dunno if anyone mentioned Kerrigan but I think her jumps were very pretty when she hit them (pity her style didn't match them)

2. kukkura

kukkura Member

How many women have landed seven triples in one LP in an international competition? Could there be more than 20?

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Even Jennifer Kirk landed 7 triples at 2001 Trophee Lalique. I'm sur more than 20 ladies landed 7 triples LP ;)

4. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I'm still thinking of Carolina Kostner as one of the best jumpers ever. She has landed several 7 triples LP, she has textbook jumps, has all textbook triples except the axel. I don't get why YuNa is in without the 3L and Caro not.

5. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

the only problem I have with Kostner is the telegraphing...she needs a lot of preparation for her toe jumps, though the form and trajectory are spectacular

6. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Like someone else said, Nancy Kerrigan had some really nice jumps. I think most people overlook them because Midori and Tanya were skating at the same time as her.

And of course Lu Chen had some great jumps in her prime-- on all 5 different triples, which can't be said of most of the ladies listed here (well her lutz entry was a little iffy, but that's getting nit picky). The height and distance on her jumps were superb.

7. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Because Kostner is only consistent with 3Salchow, 3Toe and 3Loop. She's often made mistakes on her 3Lutz (despite its beauty when executed) and also on her 3Flip. Kostner has done 7-triple LP, but so has Yuna in her earlier years. (See 2005 JGPF and 2007 CoR)

Kostner's 7-triples per se is not that impressive against the 45+ ratified triple-triples by Yuna. How many triple-triples has Kostner landed in ISU competitions?

8. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

You can't compare Shizuka's jumps with Fontana, Silvia's technique was horrid, I could barely watch her! I love Shizuka's jumps, so powerful and smooth, with a lovely knee bend. I don't agree her jumps were that bad in "roundness". I'm usually no fan of the round jumps, like Weir or Eldredge. (If that made sense, to early in the morning to think of a female example...)

When this thread popped up, Lavrenchuk and Czako were the first that came to mind, apart from the obvious choices. We should do a thread for the men, so I can ├╝ber about Urmanov!

9. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

41. And that is only in ISU Senior competitions, not counting ISU B-competitions or ISU Junior competitions (when she regularily landed two 3-3s in her FPs).

npavel and (deleted member) like this.
  10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I have the feeling that many people haven't watched Carolina Kostner before 2011.
    From 2003 to 2010, Carolina was one of the few ladies with all 5 triples in her LP, including a 3F/3T in the SP and in the LP.
    She is far from being consistent, of course, but her jumping technique is very, very good, and she has tried very difficult layout. I'm not fond of her Lutz and her Flip before she went to Frank Carol, but now, her Flip technique is perfect. ;)

11. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Since Yu Na is about 20 times a more consistent jumper than Kostner over their respective careers. Kostner also takes way too long to set up her jumps even if she approaches them fast, and they dont have near the control of Kims. Compare the points each typically earns from jumps alone in a program and Kim is way ahead.

12. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Krisztina Czako absolutely deserves a mention. Her jumps were breathtaking.

I remember the first time I saw her at Euros in 2003 she did 3Lutz/3T and 3F/3T in the LP!

13. shady82

shady82 Active Member

And Amber Corwin. :lol:

14. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

At least she no longer goes completely flat, arms pasted to her side, while gliding 3/4 across the rink and staying that way until she is off the ice during the flip.

15. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I just can't include someone like Bonaly in a list of great jumpers with her poor technique going into and out of jumps. As Scott Hamilton would point out, 'she stops, brakes, turns' then goes into the jump and nearly always with a herky-jerky style. Surya telegraphed all of her jumps, muscled through them, often seemed to UR and her run out was often lacking. Her edging in particular was atrocious.

Debi Thomas seemed like a strong jumper (apart from her '88 Olympic and Worlds skates). For their times, Tenley Albright and Carol Heiss seemed like good jumpers, as did 1961 U.S. Ladies medallists Laurence Owen, Stephanie Westerfeld and especially Rhode Lee Michelson.

Midori Ito remains for me as the all-time greatest ladies jumper overall. She wrapped her leg around as she jumped but that wasn't penalized in her day.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Here is Elaine's FS. Really enjoyed watching this program again. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHLZfJiAvb0

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  17. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

I would say Yu Na Kim. Even if she has only three truly great triples and one other pretty good one, her toe jumps are so extraordinary she would be my pick as best jumper ever. Not sure after that. Ito is an amazing jumper but her leg wrap was hideous. I wonder how GOE on her jumps would be scored today as by the criteria there are major deductions for form. Harding would probably score higher on her clean jumps today than Ito as they were just as big but had beautiful pencil form. Harding would easily be the best jumper ever if she wasnt so inconsistent I think. Why is nobody mentioning Kwan. I would atleast have her top 15 and maybe top 10, considering all her clean 7 triple programs, but nobody is even picking her for top 20. She wasnt the biggest jumper and her jumps are overshadowed by her artistry, and she wasnt that strong in doing harder triple-triples, and she had a flutz, but she still was a great jumper.

18. query5

query5 New Member

Mine wouldbe
    Michelle mainly 7 jumos if not six.
    Was,clean flowed out,.,they dont do it. Anymore

Shizuka
    carolina kostner
    Those are my 3.
    Possible irina didnt flow out of jumps stopoed. Barely did edges
    Sasha possible.
    Not tara jumps small,barely of ics, no flow

Iwould add in yuna
    I wouldnt add in skater earlier than 1992 for a simpke reason that being time.
    in,1950,the,Total,Time of free program waz 2:50
    I think,in,the 1970 & 1980 the total,time of free,program was 3:00 minutes for free program.
    I,dont remember when,swiched to,full,4minutes,like now. But I,think when,dropped,figurestotallg.
    Michelle made jumps look so easy, ffortlessly.
    Tara, irina didnt, amsasha once in a,while.
    But even they make it look easy compared,to noe.
    It comes across as a chore, soneyhing I have tovdo forboiints.,mist tine they liij,ehere they regarding messes rather than look whay I csncdo, how eady it is.
    Or,have,goofy faces when messed up,saying . Yep evenceithistajes I

P

19. query5

query5 New Member

Have goofy faces after,messess,thinking yep,icwon,despite,major erroe,because I,left enough points on ice,to win, medal.

20. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

I think with Kwan she should get points for her consistency and controlled landings. I wouldn't put her top 10, but definitely top 25 of all time. I agree Harding was even better than Ito which is no easy task. Right up to the axe,l each and every jump was textbook. Its hard making a list because there were so many great jumpers who are now mostly forgotten (Lavenchuck for example) but Harding is definitely number 1 and Ito right next to her.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Tonya's 3A was "textbook" ? You will not find one single text book or any coach that teaches his student to perform a 3A with a very obvious outside-of-the-circle tilt in the air and with a wide, swinging free leg on the landing.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  22. bardtoob

23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Thank you!! Her 3axel was a jump that she flung into the air. There was no technique about it. She just knew how to get right on that edge and use it to propel herself into the air. She flung herself up, was ALWAYS leaning back heavily and had a crazy free leg on the landing. Nothing about it was right. It is a wonder she ever landed it more than once in competition, to be honest.

24. bardtoob

I disagree that there is "nothing" right. The first of these attempts is right and straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYViHpq1KTs

Of course, she was always best in her first attempts because she was not fatigued. Her jumps often looked best in the warm-ups immediately prior to her skating group. Conditioning more would have fixed that.

25. nicklaszlo

nicklaszlo Member

26. bardtoob

I see her step onto the right inside edge and do an edge pull, just like the edge pull during the single walley immediately prior, as she picks. Some people are wrong for calling jumps by the entrance rather than the edge.

... I probably should have made the link to start before the single walley.

27. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Not so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7kTnyOcPy4

Janet Lynn's 1970 LP was 4 minutes long.

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

This is a fair list except I would have to lower or remove altogether the inclusion of Lipinski. Her jumps would have been considered tiny, juniorish, and flawed had she not done so many of them and not skated in a time when flutz was only starting to become an international buzzword. Kwan likewise had small jumps, but over her long career she demonstrated good technique and highly superior muscle memory. Her jumping upped the ante in the ladies event because of her consistency, and she performed all the different jumps without flaws over many seasons. Kwan thus belongs on the list and maybe higher. I would remove Bonnaly. She should only be on the list of top 20 back flips. I don't know if Biellman should be here or so high, but I never saw her perform. Perhaps those who saw her 3Ts in the 90s and 2000s can attest to her jumping strengths. Liashenko's powerful jumps could be included but for those hideously telegraphed entrances. She also fell plenty, so nevermind her. Anna Rechnio could be considered.

29. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Volchkova had technique issues, but her lutz jumping was very close to that of a man. It was amazing to watch the speed, force, and power. The rest of the women looked liked amateurs next to her. It is a shame she was so noticeably uncomfortable in front of audiences. She never seemed to care about winning either.

30. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think you are not considering her jumping over a very long career and just the last years when she has been almost psyched out. Her many 3As over the past 9 years will be studied for years to come. She at least belongs in the top 20. Landing three 3As at the Olympic games is also a feat yet to be rivaled.