Top 20 female jumpers of all time

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Andofanatic, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

If you are going to include Gold, you might as well include Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova. Both are strong jumpers and can do 3-3 combinations.

2. torren

torren New Member

However, she is the only skater who can 3a in her era. Miki ando and Kim Yuna's 3-3 is excellent, But I think high difficult jump should be praised more.
    The meaning of my words, even if the success rate is a bit low, The thing which only one person can is much more valuable than others.
    There will be a more stabled If she did 3-3. but she always said that she try to 3a for the challenge. In terms of "challenge", it is more valuable.

I think the value of 3a is not high enough yet. I believe Mao is included in the legend as a jumper.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  3. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Krisztina Czako was an excellent name to bring up - she had huge (!) triples and a fairly consistent triple toe/triple toe.

4. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I would rank Kerrigan's jumps ahead of other American skaters like Yamaguchi and Lipinski. But when I read this question, quality not consistency came to mind.

5. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

You've just hit the nail on the head about the problem with this poll. What constitutes a "top jumper?" Kerrigan had a near perfect technique on her jumps, but her consistency was abysmal. Lipinski rarely ever fell on a jump but never did a true lutz in her life, her skating foot always rockered horribly to the inside edge before takeoff on her lutz jumps and her jumps were small and juniorish. Yamaguchi also had gorgeous, consistency on most jumps but could rarely do a triple sal to save her life. Too many variables here.

6. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Midori was an obvious lipper, but that didn't really detract from her strengths and she was already the greatest female jumper ever. Surprisingly (or not?), many skaters who have great 3Lutz tend to Lip.

7. duane

duane New Member

In terms of proper edge takeoff and height, I'd say Tonya Harding, Midori Ito, Nancy Kerrigan, Oksana Baiul, Chen Lu (LOVED the delayed spin!), Maria Butyrskaya, and Surya Bonaly. Don't follow today's skaters, which is why my list doesn't include the skaters of today.

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I truly have a hard time understanding what makes Mao Asada such a great jumper. Is the 3axel really worth that much? Take that away and what are you left with? A skater with a good 3flip and 3loop and a nice double axel. Her 3salchow is inconsistent at best and her 3lutz has never even been a lutz. The 3toe has never had good technique, either. Honestly, she deserves credit for the 3axel but Mao is not even CLOSE to being one of the top 10 jumpers of all time and I wouldn't even put her in the top 20. That is just being blinded by one jump.

9. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

She gets so little credit for that ability despite the rarity in the IJS era. In the pre-IJS era, I think only Tonya Harding could have consistently done that.

10. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Butyrskaya had a gorgeous loop and 3lutz but her jumps never had nice flow. I agree about your assessment on Asada, despite the triple axel, she had to rework her entire jump layout for some years now. Chen had beautiful jumps from 92-96, but doesn't come close to the top 2 Ito and Harding.

Kim is the only one to come close to Ito and Harding, but even there her loop and salchow aren't as good, and she doesn't have the axel they had.

11. bardtoob

:rolleyes: Sorry, but no. In 1984, Zayak did about as many 5 triple programs as Witt did her whole career. When Witt did the 3F it was accompanied by three 3T.

12. torren

torren New Member

deleted

13. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

I liked a post that floskate made a few years ago about Zayak's 1982 Worlds FS. He pointed out that she landed two triple toes in quick succession, a double lutz-triple toe, a triple toe in combination with two split jumps, and two triple salchows (one of which was in combination with single jumps). In its own way, that program had plenty of variation as far as triple jumps are concerned.

14. bardtoob

^ Zayak also had a true Triple Toe Walley (right inside edge with counter rotation), not just 3T (right outside edge).

15. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Midori
    Yuna
    Tonya
    Irina
    Miki (?)

16. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Huh? Kwan didn't have a true lutz, and Kim doesn't have a loop.

17. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Yuna had a triple loop in 2008-09 season. :p

18. torren

torren New Member

But the period was too short and it was inconsistency.

19. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Malinina had all 5 triples with correct edge take off and her jumps were pretty big.

20. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

1. Yu Na Kim
    2. Midori Ito
    3. Irina Slutskaya
    4. Tonya Harding
    5. Elaine Zayak
    6. Miki Ando
    7. Tatiana Malinina
    8. Elizabeth Manley
    9. Tara Lipinski
    10. Maria Butyrskaya

21. puglover

puglover Active Member

I would definitely have Joannie Rochette on the list. I felt all of her jumps (and she did them all except the triple axel) were high and strong. I especially thought she had a beautiful salchow and loop and she did correct the take off on her lutz and after that I don't ever remember her having an edge call or under rotated jump.

22. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Joannie's problem is her lack of 3-3 combos (or something like a 3 axel in place) and her inconsistency. People can say Rochette is a better jumper than Asada, well in a sense maybe, but who collects more on points per jumps per competition. It would be Asada and it wouldnt be close.

23. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Name the 20 you would have over her. Yes I would say a 3axel is worth that much when only 5 women in history do it, and nobody does it as often as her (even if Ito does hers much better when she does).

24. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

In terms of quality and correct technique I can only think of five:

Harding
    Malinina
    Kwan
    Rochette and ...
    Angela Nikodinov

The latter three all had a period of flutzing but generally had solid technique.

I'm surprised Angela hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

25. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

If that's the criteria, then you can argue with all the skaters on that list. Because they had their own issues as well. :rolleyes:

26. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

So Ito, Kim, and Slutskaya are excluded while Kwan and Nikodinov are included. That is funny. Slutskaya had sketchy technique in some ways perhaps, but in what way did Ito or Kim have flawed technique, especialy compared to flutzing not powerful jumping Kwan and Angela. No Angela did not have great jumps, they were not that big and she flutzed, and often didnt carry much flow out, and was really inconsistent too.

27. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Joannie Rochette should be considered in the discussion (save for the triple lutz, her other 4 triples were of very good quality).

Joannie did have 3 toe loop - 3 salchow sequence later in her career. Surprisingly, despite good speed on takeoff and height, her running edge on the landings were not as long as her competitors.

28. nicklaszlo

nicklaszlo Member

I'd like to see that. Is there a video?

29. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Kerrigan didnt do as difficult of jumps though in addition to less consistent. Kristi in her long program did a triple lutz-triple toe and a 2nd triple lutz really late, and lots of jumps out of split leaps and difficult entrances. Some think even had Nancy skated cleanly at the 1992 Olympics long skate even after Kristi's mistakes, Kristi would have still won since her jump layout even with 2 major triple misses is worth more than Nancy doing all 7 of hers. Tara also did much harder jumpers than Nancy in addition to more consistency.

30. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Member

When it comes to Mao, I think it's more what she was capable of around 2008 and not what she does now. And that was more than the 3A. Back than, Mao was doing 3A, 3F-3T AND 3F-3Lo all in one program! That's probably one of the hardest layouts ever attempted and simply amazing. How many ladies could do 3-3 combinations with both the 3T and the 3Lo as the second jump?