Top 20 female jumpers of all time

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Andofanatic, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

Who would be your top 20 female jumpers ever. Mine would be:

1. Miki Ando
    2. Midori Ito
    3. Yu Na Kim
    4. Tonya Harding
    5. Mao Asada
    6. Irina Slutskaya
    7. Tara Lipinski
    8. Denise Biellmann
    9. Elaine Zayak
    10. Victoria Volchkova
    11. Julia Sebeysten
    12. Kristi Yamaguchi
    13. Dorothy Hamill
    14. Petra Burka
    15. Elizabeth Manley
    16. Debi Thomas
    17. Michelle Kwan
    18. Surya Bonaly
    19. Tatiana Malinina
    20. Yoshie Onda

2. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

lol.

3. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

What do you find funny.

4. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Ando first because she landed a cheated quad Salchow in competition, I am guessing? She also does a flip on a severe outside edge 99% of the time. There's no way she's anywhere near the best, though.

A lot of the other skaters on this list might have been known as 'jumpers', but they had their fair share of problems, too. Most of them couldn't do either a proper-edge Lutz or flip, or they don't (or didn't in their time) attempt the full set of triples being done sans Axel.

Viktoria Volchkova, for example, had nice height on her Lutz. But she crawled into or extremely telegraphed all of her jumps. Remember, her loop and Axel were done almost from a complete halt, and her flip was also on a big outside edge.

Julia Sebestyen had better jumps than someone like Volchkova (or even Ando), but she also went on the outside edge for her flip.

Kristi Yamaguchi could land the triple Lutz-triple toe-- yes; but she rarely ever landed the Salchow and her jumps were on the tiny side (same as Lipinski).

Surya Bonaly had the tendency to curl the edges of many of her jumps because they were about 1/4 (or more) cheated.

Out of your list, I'd agree with Ito, Harding, and even Malinina being way up there. I also think Joannie Rochette has some of the nicest jumps I've ever seen.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Laetitia Hubert and Vanessa Gusmeroli also had fabulous jumps.
    IIRC, Yulia Lavrenchuk also had amazing jumps.

6. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

I loved Laetitia Hubert, but I really don't agree here. Big Flutz, and she was too busy flying around the ice most of the time to really settle into her jumps. She had the tendency to land on the flat of her blade rather than on the toe pick, and that's why we saw the jolty kind of movement with her hips so often.

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I was probably just impressed by the speed she had into them, and the high and distance she got.
    IIRC, Carol Heiss said in 1992 that she was another female skater with male jumps ;)

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Dorothy is and always will be one of my favorites, but her jumping ability is skaters like Manley, Kwan? If Dorothy is on the list then Peggy should definitely be on also; No one today can do the delayed axel that Peggy was doing.

9. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I keep waiting to see someone dust that move off and do it...absolutely gorgeous! I want to see someone do a delayed double axel.

10. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

If we narrowed the list to only those skaters who landed the 5 triples from toe loop to lutz with proper edges, how many skaters would that comprise?

11. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

If you are talking about 5 triple skaters who regularly landed those jumps with proper edges (or at least near proper edges), I think the list would narrow down to the following (and I just shortened the original list, no particular order of greatness claimed here):

Midori Ito
    Yu Na Kim
    Tonya Harding
    Irina Slutskaya
    Kristi Yamaguchi
    Michelle Kwan
    Surya Bonaly (and I'm not quite sure here)

If I missed a couple, please add them.

12. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Although I don't think of her as a great jumper, nonetheless Rachael Flatt managed to get all 5 triples without edge calls or URs from time to time.

Anna Rechnio was a good jumper

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  13. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Lu Chen (certainly at the beginning and middle of her career; after 1996 she had UR problems)
    Tatiana Malinina had all five with correct edges
    As DORIS says, Anna was a good jumper. She had all five in her repertoire but was sometimes prone to double-footing
    In any given programme, Surya would land some correctly while others were UR-ed. So I guess you could say that she had all five sometimes
    Yulia Lavrenchuk? I think so, and done at lightning speed (I know, I know - no footwork, but the jumps themselves were spectacular)

What about today's skaters? Aren't we counting them?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  14. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

Rochette? I know she had issues with her lutz early in her career, but corrected that jump later if memory serves.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Depending on your definition of "regularly," Kostner and Rochette should be on the list, especially if you are going to consider Kristi Yamaguchi's salchow as a jump she "regularly" landed in competition.

16. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

I rated skaters for their own time. Hamill for her own time was considered the best jumper. Kwan was never considered the Worlds best jumper, and Manley if she ever was it was brief with Ito around. Fleming was not even the best jumper of her own time. Seyfert, Maskova, and Noyes were better.

17. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

How is Yu-Na a five triple skater?

18. Vagabond

She was for a while. As was Kwan. :shuffle:

19. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I agree with Rochette, and you make a good point about Kristi, I forgot about the "Demon Sal" with her. :) However, I looked at this from the POV of consistency over the skater's career, and considering Kostner no longer does all 5 triples and is still competing regularly, I can't put her on this list, and for that matter, I should not include Yu Na either.. Rochette was a big oversight on my part, she should definitely be included.

20. torren

torren New Member

What is the ranking of Mao Asada? she has the problem the lack of consistency but she is a only skater who can landing 3A. Even if the lacked of the rotation 3A has better value than triples except 3lutz.
    Why she can not even enter the inside of the 20?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  21. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

I had her 5th so in top 5.

22. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

At the end of a very long and successful career.

23. Vagabond

It's been a while since Kostner successfully landed five different types of triples in one program, but she does do all five (non-axel) triples. She landed an excellent triple lutz in her Free Skate at Worlds in March.

24. karlon

karlon New Member

Last edited: May 1, 2013
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  25. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I'm going to agree re: Hubert and Gusmeroli. Both very underrated skaters with incredible height and power on their jumps. I think Tanja Szewczenko deserves mention as well - when she was on her jumps were massive.

26. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you can even begin to rate this, unless you limit it to jumps in competition. Because you don't know what these skaters, or skaters you've never even heard of, could do out of competition or in some other setting. E.g. Dorothy Hamill had some fairly reliable triple jumps, but usually only did doubles in competition.

That being said, Rory Flack (Burghart) belongs on this list for her Russian split jump. I don't know of any lady who has even come close to the extension Rory gets on that jump.

27. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

If you're going to include Szewczenko, you might as well include Gracie Gold. She got edge calls on the flip this year, but not as much in previous years, and at no time was her lip anything like as bad as Volchkova's.

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Mao has landed some fully rotated 3As- one of the few skaters to do so.

In any case I find this list rather amusing. Ando the best jumper? Granted, she is very good. While watching her in practices I was impressed by the power of her jumps, but they don't compare with either Midori's or Tonya's. If not for COP, Miki might have experimented with more difficult jumps and combinations.

29. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Kriztina (sp?) Szako also had very good triple jumps

30. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

1. Midori Ito
    2. Yu Na Kim
    3. Irina Slutskaya
    4. Tonya Harding- would be #2 or #1 but way too inconsistent
    5. Elaine Zayak- ahead of her time in jumps
    6. Tara Lipinski
    7. Mao Asada
    8. Denise Biellmann- super consistency on triples to old age
    9. Kristi Yamaguchi- consistency doing hardest triples until she was about 30
    10. Katarina Witt- I know this sounds funny but in early 80s she was part of pushing womens jumps along with Zayak, Biellmann, and Ito. In 1982 she was doing the hardest jump layout of any women in the World with 5 triples including a triple flip (Zayak was doing 6 but mostly just triple toes).

not sure after that. Any of Thomas, Manley, Fratianne, Kostner, Czako, Malinina, Sebeysten, Volchkova, Sokolova, Kwan, Bonaly, Neledina, Gold, Rochette could be picked as places 11-20. Probably some others.