Top 10 ladies' skaters from 1990-2010

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shady82, Aug 21, 2010.

1. shady82

shady82 New Member

Here we go: :)

1. Michelle Kwan: Easily the most influential and decorated skater of these 20 years - not only was she the most successful competition-wise (5 Worlds, 9 nationals), she was highly influential outside of the realm of competitive skating. The most recognizable skater of these years, all disciplines included.
    2. Kristi Yamaguchi: Epitomizes the perfect package. She did very technically difficult jumps - including 3lutz-3toes - but this ability was still overshadowed by Ito's even stronger jumping ability. I actually thought she was a greater technician than an artist (she was good, but not oustanding in that aspect). 2 World Championships, Olympic gold. She could have easily dominated the field had she kept skating until 1995.
    3. Yu-na Kim: She still has a long way to go, but she already had an Olympic gold (the first lights-out gold in a long time in ladies skating) and a World title.
    4. Irina Slutskaya: Most successful Russian ladies' skater of all time. She holds the record for most European titles and won 2 World Championships. Despite the fact that Sarah ahd Shizuka won gold in 2002/2006, Slutskaya and Kwan are the most dominant skaters from 1998-2006.
    5. Mao Asada: Like Kim, she has a long way to go. Already holds 2 World titles and an Olympic silver medal.
    6. Tara Lipinski: Like Oksana and Sarah, she may have won Olympic gold and then vanished. But she was a formidable competitor and strong technician, and she did have decent presentation, though it still needed to develop. Unlike Oksana and Sarah, she was fairly deserving of her World and Olympic titles.
    7. Sasha Cohen: No World or Olympic titles. But her innovative spins/spirals and artistic ability are still well-remembered. A fairly recognizable name today.
    8. Shizuka Arakawa: Her skills are on par with those of Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen, though she often did not have the consistency. But she pulled off good performances to earn a World and Olympic title.
    9. Oksana Baiul: She did win a World and Olympic title - and was a strong artistic skater. IMO, however, she didn't deserve either title - they should have gone to Bonaly and Kerrigan.
    10. Midori Ito: She may have won her World title in 1989, but her revolutionary jumping ability must be recognized. The quality of the rest of her skating was quite strong too. As Scott Hamilton said, her technical ability won't be beaten for another 50 years - and so far, that prediction hash eld.

Other skaters to consider (just suggestions): Nancy Kerrigan, Lu Chen, Surya Bonaly, Yuka Sato, Maria Butyrskaya, Sarah Hughes, Miki Ando

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Interesting list. I think I would include Tonya/Nancy -- because they were so influential -- but I am not sure who I would delete.

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think I've done one of these before, months ago, but of course I'll do it again. :)

1) Michelle Kwan
    2) Yu-Na Kim
    3) Irina Slutskaya
    4) Kristi Yamaguchi
    5) Tara Lipinski
    6) Mao Asada
    7) Lu Chen
    8) Midori Ito
    9) Nancy Kerrigan
    10) Sasha Cohen

It was hard not to include Baiul and Hughes since they were OGM winners but they were such short-lived successes and although Sasha didn't win the OGM, she stuck around for a long time, being consistently successful.

4. shady82

shady82 New Member

I think before it was just 2000-2010 though. ;)

5. sydneyphoenix

sydneyphoenix New Member

I actually did a similar list a while ago on my own (assigning various points for each achievements), and here's what I've got out of the formula. The era covered is only from 1996 onwards, since the introduction of the Grand Prix Series that gave more opportunities to participate than in prior eras. The algorithm itself is somewhat complicated and subjective (some will disagree with weight I placed on certain competitions). Only skaters that have become an Olympic Champion, a World Champion or a Grand Prix Final Champion are included.

1. Irina Slutskaya
    2. Michelle Kwan
    3. Yu-Na Kim
    4. Mao Asada
    5. Maria Butyrskaya
    6. Shizuka Arakawa
    7. Tara Lipinski
    8. Lu Chen
    9. Sasha Cohen
    10. Miki Ando

If you extend the timeframe to post-1988, Kristi Yamaguchi (behind Butyrskaya or behind Arakawa depending on whether you include her Pairs career) and Midori Ito (behind Chen) also have enough points to make it into Top 10 despite their lack of opportunities to participate in Grand Prix Series.

Note that this is simply a list drawn up from the data on competitive records, not necessarily reflecting who had the greatest artistry or technique on a given era.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

1. Kristi Yamaguchi- I prefer Michelle, Midori, Yu Na, Mao, and even Irina as skaters. However when you think about it she was really the best skater in the World from 1991-1995 atleast and competitive with the best until 1998 atleast. It was clear watching her in pro competitions that there was nobody in the amateur World to even challenge her until Kwan and Chen in 96, in fact Ito and later Sato (a better pro skater than ever an amateur skater) gave her more competition than any of the top amateurs would have during this period. Yeah I know much of this time she was skating pros so the amateur medal count doesnt reflect it.

2. Michelle Kwan- obviously an incredible skater and an incredible competitive record. The only blemish on her career is her failure to win an Olympic Gold. Also to some degree lack of great success vs her main rivals, she did lose the majority of big events she faced off against Tara in 97-98, and lost the majority of overall meetings and many of the big event meetings to Irina in Irina's prime from 2000-2005.

3. Irina Slutskaya- I dont really like her skating much at all but her longevity and sum of achievements keeps her above Kim and Asada, for now. Her longevity in the sport is simply amazing, in a way she event outlasted Kwan by a bit though her prime started much later even if they began winning medals around the same time, and her totality in achievements in all areas- World and Olympic medals, Grand Prix final success, European titles is very impressive. Her artistry and overall look as a skater doesnt appeal to me much though.

4. Yu Na Kim- extremely dominant overall over the last quad in many ways, but not always when it really mattered in the big events. Surprising she won only 1 World title plus the Olympic Gold in this quad in many ways. Still her Olympic win was probably the most dominant and spectacular in history. She has set a new standard for womens skating in the new COP era. If she continues on and adds to her achievements she can climb up to the top of this list easily.

5. Mao Asada- another amazing skater who simply needs to stay around longer and keep winning. I prefer her skating to Kim's in many ways but obviously the overall achievements are in Kim's favor but it is pretty close. Kim also seems more dominant overall but Mao has definitely been a huge force alongside Kim this quad as her 2 World titles and other achievements show. She is the first women since Ito and Harding to really push forward the triple axel, in fact while her triple axels dont have the spectacularity of theirs she is the first women who is actually having the guts to try even more triple axels per competition than Ito was ever doing (not to take anything away from Ito, that was 20 years ago so she was way ahead of her time, just great to see another women finally stepping up to that challenge).

6. Tara Lipinski- dominant blip on the radar but such an impressive blip it was.

7. Lu Chen- an impressive long career near the top with many medals. 2 Olympic medals, a World title and another near miss of one. Many believe would have been an Olympic a multiple World Champion had China had more clout back then. Very strong technical skater early on whose artistry continued to blossom with the years and later became known as stunning artistic skater who rivaled Kwan.

8. Midori Ito- I know she did not win a major title but in this time but she still gave some landmark performances, such as her 1990 Worlds LP which made her the uncrowned World womens and even mens World Champion that year.

9. Shizuka Arakawa- she did win a World and Olympic Gold and her 2004 Worlds LP was a true highlight. However her career was almost empty outside of those 2 big wins to the point I feel almost generous including her in the top 10 at all. I do in part since I appreciate the quality of her overall skating.

10. Sasha Cohen- no major title but was a huge factor and name in ladies skating from 2002-2006. Consistency problems prevented her from being a multiple winner of major events but she still came close many times. Known for remarkable spins, spirals, positions, elegance, and as she got older musicality and emotion too.

Honorable mentions:

Oksana Baiul- a World and Olympic Champion but many have called into question both wins.

Sarah Hughes- a shock Olympic winner and consistent competition for 2-3 seasons.

Miki Ando- a World Champion and fairly consistent competitor of her quad.

Maria Butyrskaya- a late blooming World Champion who made a strong bid at a 2nd World title in 2000 and Olympic medal in 98, just falling short due to nerves in the long program both times.

Nancy Kerrigan- many major medals including 2 Olympic medals but no gold. The uncrowned Olympic Champion of 94. Was often regarded as the women to beat in the leaderless 93-94 interim period.

Yuka Sato- outstanding pro career and a World Champion in the depleted 94 Worlds as an amateur would have put her on list had she done better at the 94 Olympics.

Surya Bonaly- impressive collection of Euro Gold and World silver.

7. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

1. Michelle Kwan
    2. Midori Ito
    3. Tara Lipinski
    4. Sasha Cohen
    5. Irina Slutskaya
    6. Kristi Yamaguchi
    7. Mao Asada
    8. Yu-Na Kim
    9. Lu Chen
    10. Shizuka Arakawa

HM: Sarah Hughes, Yuka Sato, Maria Butyrskaya, Miki Ando, Nancy Kerrigan

8. jaws12345

jaws12345 Banned Member

This is one beaten-to-death topic for the past one year and personally I don't understand why this has to come back every other months. Listing them alphabetically without making a top-to-bottom pecking list, because that's just nonsensical IMO, I think Lu Chen, Yuna Kim, Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Irina Slutskaya and Kristi Yamaguchi are the skaters who made the most impact to the ladies skating scene in that 20 year period. These skaters inspired young prodigies around the world the most.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  9. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Agreed. What is the criterion for rating the skaters? If it's in terms of influence, then the Tonya-Nancy brouhaha did more to influence skating than just about anything else mentioned here. Besides, as the best skater in the world for the year 1991 (beat Kristi twice, Midori once), Tonya definitely belongs on this list somewhere.

10. miki88

miki88 New Member

delete *

11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

How come Yuna is only number 8 despite all her world records?

12. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

:rofl: Do you really think anything other than the ranking of the score at a competition means anything?

Yes, yes, Midori Ito did not have a World Record under the IJS so she must have been lesser than Yu-Na :rofl:

13. blue_idealist

Tonya was kicked out of the ISU after abetting a horrible offense against another skater. I don't think she deserves to be on list of top 10 ladies skaters, no matter what her results were.

14. judgejudy27

Well her results dont really merit it either. The only thing that does is her sheer talent level and peak level of skating ability when she was "on".

15. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

People are comparing Midori to Kim :huh:

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Yu-Na's ultimate effect on the sport is still being assessed.

17. blue_idealist

I'm embarrassed because I forgot about Arakawa completely when doing this.. I guess that's just proof she doesn't quite make the list, if I can forget her.

18. pinky166

But she's Queen Yuna! I get that Michelle had a long career and is very decorated, but honestly, the standards have changed a lot since her day, she never could jump like Yuna can!

19. bardtoob

I don't think that the Kween would want that considering that she had the 3Lp while Yuna does not. Yuna made it acceptable to not have a fully set of triples, which is quite the standard change.

20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I stand by my opinion!

21. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Michelle is still the skating idol/heroine for a lot of skaters (including Yu-Na), even though she has largely left the skating world (she hasn't competed in five years, and, has done minimal show work). Whether Yu-Na will be serving as an inspiration long after she leaves skating is yet to be determined.

22. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

Michelle's lifetime record against her main rivals in ISU events and Nationals:

MK vs. Lipinski
    5-4

MK vs. Slutskaya
    15-10

MK vs. Butyrskaya
    16-2

MK vs. Cohen
    10-2

MK vs. Hughes
    13-2

The 98 Olympics defines the rivalry Michelle had with Tara Lipinski. On a rare Olympic Ladies FS night when both skated clean, Lipinski edged Kwan. Both skaters won National and World titles over one another. It was very close and unfortunately didn't last much longer.

Slutskaya was Michelle's main rival during her career. Irina's didn't start consistently beating Michelle until the late 90s and it wasn't until 2002 that she was able to do it in big events like Worlds and the Olympics. After that point, it was very rare for Michelle and Irina to meet due to injuries. Among the many stats, the record at the biggest competitions were World titles Michelle 4 to Irina 2 when in competition. The two Olympics they competed against each other, they both collected silvers. Irina had more success in the grand prix events outside of the majors. That was the case especially outside their head-2-head meetings and towards the end of Irina's career.

The other records are pretty clear.

23. judgejudy27

Butyrskaya, Hughes, and the overhyped Cohen were never really Kwan rivals though. Hughes was consistent but just wasnt good enough, Cohen wasnt consistent enough, and Maria wasnt either good or consistent enough. Tara and Irina were her only real rivals.

You are right on the overall head to heads but Tara was a 13 year old senior nobody at the time of her first 2 losses to Kwan. So in Tara's 2 big seasons it is 4-3 Tara but with Tara a dominant 4-1 edge in big events. I definitely say Tara had the edge in her rivalry with Kwan even though I dont care for her skating much.

As for Irina I see your point more, but in Irina's prime from 2000 onwards she still won most of her meetings with Michelle including in major events, which is how she overcame an early huge deficit to make it fairly close by the end. Before 2000 Irina wasnt a top level skater who was contending for gold in any major events so of course Kwan won virtually all the early meetings which is how she still leads the career head to head. And in 2000-2002 when both were near their best it was 2-2 in World and Olympic competition with Irina well ahead overall, and Michelle never easily beat Irina but Irina on multiple occasions easily beat Michelle.

I am not saying Irina or Tara are better than Michelle of course but she had alot more trouble beating them then Witt, Yamaguchi, and Yu Na Kim today have beating their main rivals. When I talk about her record vs her main rivals I mean relative to other dominant skaters in history vs theirs.

24. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

For me the only problem I have with "Wait until their rivals mature for the head-2-heads to count" logic is that it discounts many quality wins like in the case of Kwan vs. Slutskaya. Also, I think it diminishes the significance of competitive records for skaters that didn't have lengthy eligble careers like Kristi.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  25. blue_idealist

Michelle was far more artistic than Yu-Na, IMO. Some of Yu-Na's.. well, most.. of her performances are technically perfect but leave me cold. Also, wasn't Michelle doing 3-3s sometimes around '98? (I could be wrong about thsi).

26. pinky166

Only 3t-3t, she did it 7 times in her career I believe? Yuna's done 3 different types of 3-3s (3lz-3t, 3f-3t, 3t-3t) in her career and has successfully landed those combinations far more than 7 times.

27. bardtoob

GOOD POINT. Who ever says Maribel Vinson Owens wins over Suzanne Davis did not count because Suzanne had not matured yet. That's silly.

She beat the best in that year, in that competition.

28. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Deleted!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

there are things michelle can do better than yu-na as well..

yu-na's not even the best jumper in history..the queen title is nothing but hype

30. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Ahem.... As one of Yu-Na fans, your approach is bitter as gall to me. Do not disgrace Yu-Na and her icon both.

Back on topic. For me who started to enjoy this sport at 2006.

-. Yu-Na Kim. Michelle Kwan. Kristi Yamaguchi.
    -. Shizuka Arakawa. Sasha Cohen.
    -. Midori Ito. Mao Asada. Surya Bonaly.
    -. Mirai Nagasu. Laura Lepistö.