Top 10 Ice Dance Teams 1989 to present

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by longingfornia, Apr 6, 2011.

1. longingfornia

longingfornia New Member

1 Marina Klimova & Seegei Ponomarenko Russia
    2 Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov Russia
    3 Angelika Krylova & Oleg Ovsiannikov Russia
    4 Maya Usova & Alexander Zhulin Russia
    5 Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat France
    6 Tatiana NAVKA & Roman KOSTOMAROV Russia
    7 Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR Canada
    8 Albena DENKOVA & Maxim STAVISKI Bulgaria
    9 Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz Canada
    10 Oksana DOMNINA & Maxim SHABALIN Russia

HM
    Isabelle Delobel & Olivier Schoenfelder France
    Irina LOBACHEVA & Ilia AVERBUKH Russia
    Susanna Rahkamo & Petri Kokko Finland
    Margarita Drobiazko & Povilas Vanagas Lithuania

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I would have to put Anissina & Peizerat above 3 and 4 since they have the Olympic Gold. I would actually put Virtue & Moir at 4, or maybe even 3 ahead of the French. I would have Krylova & Ovsiannikov at 5 and Usova & Zhulin at 6, since K&O have 1 more World title.

I definitely wouldnt have Bourne & Kraatz or Domnina & Shabalin in the top 10. Replace them with Belbin & Agosto and Davis & White on my list.

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

1) Grishuk/Platov
    2) Anissina/Peizerat
    3) Klimova/Ponomarenko
    4) Duschesnays
    5) Virtue/Moir
    6) Usova/Zhulin
    7) Navka/Kostomarov
    8) Krylova/Ovsiannikov
    9) Belbin/Agosto
    10) Denkova/Staviski

HM - Bourne/Kraatz, Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, Lobacheva/Averbukh, Delobel/Schoenfelder, Davis/White, Domnina/Shabalin

4. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Great idea for a thread and you would have to make it more difficult by having us rank them by who we feel is the best. :p Or is it just the top ten in general and not best to "worst" format? The top five alone is difficult for me.

There were some amazing :kickass: dance teams competing from 1989 through last year.

1.Grishuk/Platov
    2.Usova/Zhulin
    3.Klimova/Ponomarenko
    4.Krylova/Ovsiannikov
    5.Anissina/Peizerat
    6.Denkova/Stavisky
    7.Delobel/Schoenfelder
    8.Domnina/Shabalin
    9.Navka/Kostamarov
    10.Virtue/Moir

HM (no particular order)
    Bourne/Kraatz, Belbin/Agosto, Pechelat/Bourzat, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Dubreuil/Lauzon, Rahkamo/Kokko

judgejudy, your post does make me wonder how the dancers should be ranked and should one area outweigh another (medals vs actual ablility and memorable excellent choreography as opposed to great skating but blah content) and in the case of a team like DomShabs the potential and how good they were on paper. DomShabs were excellent in 2006 and despite less than stellar programs I felt their skating skills were excellent until Max's surgeries and rushed returns to competition.

Looking back, as much as I enjoyed Lobacheva/Averbukh and as fantastic a skater as Ilya was, overall they were not a great team; especially compared to the other top Russian teams. They did have two or three stand out programs but in general Ilya was the star and most of the time outshone Irina. Additionally, Natalia Linichuk seemed to give them programs that didn't seem designed for a team that was looking to move up the standings and win championships. Therefore they just missed my HM list despite two world medals (one championship).

I might have to do some reshuffling.

5. mia joy

mia joy New Member

What do you mean by "top"? ones who have the most successful careers or just those we think were the best?

Well, I have only followed FS since 2000 and from those 11 years, I would definitely have those on my list:

Drobiazko/Vanagas - the most undermarked team EVER. IMHO they should've had many more medals, including Olympic one from 2002 (if it wasn't for the fall, also from 2006). Definitely the best on ice chemistry I've ever seen.

Anissina/Peizerat - man, they knew how to DANCE. Today's teams look so acrobatic in comparison to them. They had the emotion too.

Delobel/Schoenfelder - pure French elegance and class. Undermarked many times as well, Olympic medal 2006 should have been theirs.

probably Virtue/Moir - as much as I don't like most of their dances, their skills are undeniable. And if so, Davis/White as well - cause IMO the level of those two teams is comparable and D/W are so much more exciting to watch. Plus those crazy twizzles. Plus how dazzling they look on ice together ;)

I definitely WOULD NOT include the following:
    Navka/Kostomarov
    Domnina/Shabalin
    Bourne/Kratz
    Belbin/Agosto
    Grushina/Goncharov
    Denkova/Staviski

in general, the 2003-2006 period was such a terrible time for ice dancing. I enjoyed absolutely noone from the world's top, but Delobel/Schoenfelder (and even though, I only fell for them in 2006). I even stopped following ice dance at some point there, soooo uninteresting. Thank God Drobiazko/Vanagas came back for the Olys, otherwise I could have even not watched it.

6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

My favourites.

1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Klimova/Ponamarenko (would be higher if I could go earlier)
    3. Anissina/Piezarat
    4. Grishuk/Platov
    5. Denkova/Staviski
    6. The Duchesnays (would be higher if I could include 1988)
    7. Drobiasko/Vanagas (in terms of pure passion, they are the best)
    8. Krylova/Ovsiannikov (I might be the only one who loved their jungle dance)
    9. Usova/Zhulin AND Domnina/Shabalin (need to see more of the earlier; the latter were great until his injury - that 2007 Tango is so cool it hurts)
    10. Torvill/Dean (that Rhumba at Lillehammer!!!!) Okay, that's cheating.

Also Davis/White (need more connection to music and each other), Delobel/Schoenfelder (Don't like their earlier stuff, but their 2006/8 FDs were awesome), Navka/Kostamorov ("Ain't No Sunshine" is awesome), Cappellinni/Lannotte (so gorgeous it hurts)

Definitely NOT: Lobacheva/Averbukh, Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, Belbin/Agosto, Bourne/Kraatz (I wish I understood ice dance then as I do now, I could've saved a lot of useless tsursis), Dubrueil/Lauzon (two great FDs back-to-back at the end of their careers, but lots of stuff I just didn't like)

Haven't seen enough of: Rahkamo/Kokko, Monotte/Lavanchy, others.

7. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Not ranking them except my personal top 3...
    Virtue & Moir
    Klimova & Ponomarenko
    Grishuk & Platov

1. Klimova & Ponomarenko
    2. Usova & Zhulin
    3. Grishuk & Platov
    4. Krylova & Ovsiannikov
    5. Anissina & Peizerat
    6. Bourne & Kraatz
    7. Navka & Kostamarov
    8. Drobiazko & Vanagas
    9. Virtue & Moir
    10. Davis & White

HM
    Belbin & Agosto
    Dubreuil & Lauzon
    Delobel & Schoenfelder
    Denkova & Staviyski
    Duchesnay's

8. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

Personal Preference Ranking Only :)

Klimova & Ponomarenko
    Davis & White
    Grishuk & Platov
    Krylova & Ovsiannikov
    Anissina & Peizerat
    Bourne & Kraatz
    Belbin & Agosto
    Virtue & Moir
    Kerr & Kerr
    Delobel and Schoenfelder

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. BellaSTRARSSA!

BellaSTRARSSA! Member

1. Klimova & Ponomarenko
    2. Virtue & Moir
    3. Anissina & Peizerat
    4. Grishuk & Platov
    5. Usova & Zhulin
    6. Krylova & Ovsiannikov
    7. Delobel & Schoenfelder
    8. Rahkamo & Kokko
    9. Drobiazko & Vanagas
    10. Denkova & Staviyski

I definitely value clean, pure technique and K&P, V&M, & A&P are the best examples of that since 1989, imo. HM for Delobel & Schoenfelder in this aspect as well.

G&P are problematic because I respect their speed and attack, but they could be sloppy sometimes.

Usova & Zhulin had great technique, but not always the difficulty, and they got lost in the shuffle in 1994 unfortunately.

HM: Torvill & Dean for 1994, Navka & Kostamarov, Belbin & Agosto, Davis & White

10. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

01. Grishuk Platov
    02. Klimova Ponomarenko
    03. Virtue Moir
    04. Krylova Ovsiannikov
    05. Navka Kostomarov
    06. Annisina Peizerat
    07. Davis White
    08. Uzova Zhulin
    09. Denkova Staviski
    10. Delobel Schoenfelder

11. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

Ice dance = Russia :respec:

nuge and (deleted member) like this.
  12. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Quite :kickass:

Everyone better watch out for B/S I/K :p

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

:eek:

14. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Klimova/Ponomarenko
    3. Krylova/Ovsiannikov
    4. Grishuk/Platov
    5. Anissina/Peizerat
    6. Usova/Zhulin
    7. Denkova/Staviski
    8. Belbin/Agosto
    9. Bourne/Kraatz
    10. Delobel/Shonfelder

15. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I'll try to do one based on medal count, not my preference, and this is all from memory so feel free to correct mistakes... I'm only using Euros as tiebreakers for teams with World titles and Olympic medals whose records are the same.

1. Grishuk & Platov - 2 Olympic golds, 4 world titles
    2. Klimova & Ponomarenko - Olympic gold (silver and bronze were before 1989), 3 world titles
    3. Anissina & Peizerat - Olympic gold and bronze, 1 world title
    4. Navka & Kostomarov - Olympic gold, 2 world titles
    5. Virtue & Moir - Olympic gold, 1 world title
    6. Usova & Zhulin - Olympic silver and bronze, 1 world title
    7. Krylova & Ovsiannikov - Olympic silver, 2 world titles
    8. Lobacheva & Averbukh - Olympic silver, 1 world title
    9. Duschenays - Olympic silver, 1 world title (ranked below L&A because L&A won Europeans and the Ds never did, and their World medal counts are comparable)
    10. Domnina & Shabalin - Olympic bronze, 1 world title, 2 Euro titles
    11. Fusar-Poli & Margaglio - Olympic bronze, 1 world title, 1 Euro title

That ends the list of dancers who won Olympic medals AND world titles during this period...
    at this point it starts getting tricky with Olympic medalists who never won worlds vs. World champions without Olympic medals - which is better?

Honorable mentions:
    Torvill & Dean - Olympic bronze, but Olympic gold and 4 world titles prior to 1989!
    Belbin & Agosto - Olympic silver, 4 world medals
    Davis & White - Olympic silver, 1 world medal
    Grushina & Goncharov - Olympic bronze, 1 world medal
    Denkova & Staviyski - 2 world titles
    Bourne & Kraatz - 1 world title, and more overall medals than DelSchon
    Delobel & Schoenfelder - 1 world title

That was a fun exercise... quite different than what my list would be!!! N&K look rather high, but they do have the hardware - they won it in a weaker field, but you can't really control for that in the stats. V&M can still move up. I ended up with the Duschenays on my list, who weren't on a lot of peoples' lists. I didn't see T&D on anyone's list but they're better known for their pre-89 achievements. Fan favorites like Rahkomo & Kokko and Drobiazko & Vanagas didn't make the list. Delobel & Schoenfelder barely made the cut for honorable mention, but a lot of people had them in the top 10 on preference.

16. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I bet D'S wouldn't swap those two world titles for that olympic bronze which could have been theirs :p

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  17. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I never, ever, EVER got L/A. Seriously. I was TOTALLY lost on why/how they were liked so much by 02. I'm no teknik, but I never thought they were that good and everything they did seemed totally blah. I always thought of them as a kind of 2nd tier couple, like a 4-6 kinda team, but clearly I know nothing. :confused:

18. judgejudy27

If Lobacheva & Averbuhk were from most other countries they would have been a 2nd tier out of the medals regularly kind of couple. If Krylova & Ovsiannikov had not had her back injury and the Russians needed to anoint an unusually unexceptional team to their #1 status L/A probably would have never won a World medal of any color (or maybe one bronze if they got lucky). Even with the backing as Russian #1 they finished out of the medals at the 2000 Worlds and were lucky to eke out their bronze in 2001. It took 3 years as Russian #1 for them to become a major threat at the very top.

19. duane

duane New Member

Thanks Cherub. I've never been a fan of Ice Dancing, but definitely have heard of T&D. I didn't understand why they weren't on the list until reading your post, and realizing that their success occurred prior to 1989!

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I can't rank them, but here are my 10 most favorite ice dance teams since 1989:

1.Klimova-Ponomarenko
    2.Usova-Zhulin
    3.Virtue-Moir
    4.Davis-White
    5.Grishchuk-Platov
    6.Krylova-Ovssianikov
    7.Anissina-Peizerat
    8.Navka-Kostomarov
    9.Domnina-Shabalin
    10.Denkova-Staviyski

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. longingfornia

longingfornia New Member

I think Krylova & Ovsiannikov would have dominated Dance to 02 with a great rivary with Anissina & Peizerat. They could have won 4 or 5 Wc's in a row plus OLY Gold damn...........grrrr

22. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^Aww. I know right. K/O were big, big faves of mine. It's sad their career got cut so short, just as they were about to come into their own IMO. With their more classical style, they'd have had some great battles with the Frenchies I'm sure. I never really thought FP/M and A/P was much of a convincing rivalry.

23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I'm not sure they would've dominated. They K/O won in 1999 with a 5-4 split and had already lost the OD, if I recall. Having watched some of their earlier dances (1995 Flamenco, the Masquerade Waltz) their early exit was a damn shame. It would've been awesome if they had managed to get together earlier (in time for Lillehammer), but sakes alive they rocked.

So did Anissina/Peizarat. That would've been a terrific rivalry.

24. judgejudy27

I am pretty sure A/P would have beaten K/O at the 2000 Worlds with it being in France. After that all bets are off. Some strange things happened after that anyway like the Italians World title. I personally dont think K/O would have had a dominant unbeaten like run like G/P though even if they did win the 2002 OG and a 3rd World title at some point.

25. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Me either.. I don't really understand why FP/M won Worlds or an Olympic medal besides politics.. a lot of teams such as Bourne/Kraatz and Drobiazko/Vanagas, to name a couple, were much better than them. I think A/P should have always beaten them!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  26. icenut84

icenut84 New Member

I used to quite like them, but I know a lot of people didn't. My favourite performance of theirs was definitely their Spanish OD in 2002 Olympics - it was fantastic. I also liked their 2002 FD (controversial, hey?) and their 2001 FD, but that was pretty much it. Their FD in 2003 just made me laugh - the 'mockingbird' bit of the music was so random and reminded me of the scene in Dumb & Dumber when they were singing it in the van!

If you didn't know their success was prior to 1989, does that mean you have never seen their most famous routines? Even 27-29 years later, their routines are remembered and considered up there with the best ever.

Bolero, 1984 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2zbbN4OL98

Paso Doble OSP, 1984 (they used to have to repeat the pattern 3 times - this was imo one of the best pieces of skating choreography ever) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJtKHeis_g

Barnum, 1983 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydN5Glf9KI0

Mack & Mabel, 1982 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmdv74L7nWo

I have no idea who I'd have in my own top 10 from 89 onwards though! But I definitely wouldn't have the Duchesnays on it. Isabelle was nowhere near the standard of an elite ice dancer, IMO - they only got where they did because of Dean's choreography. I've never really understood how they did as well as they did, beating K&P and U&Z :confused:

27. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

My top 10:

Klimova/Ponomarenko
    Grishuk/Platov
    Usova/Zhulin
    Krylova/Ovsyannikov
    Anissina/Peizerat
    Delobel/Schoenfelder
    Virtue/Moir
    Davis/White
    Denkova/Staviski
    Navka/Kostomarov

28. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

The Duchesnays were only popular because of the choreo yes.They were so controversial ' with the marks the judges didn't know what to do with them at first :lol:

29. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

1-Grishuk&Platov
    2-Anissina&Peizerat
    3-Klimova&Ponomarenko
    4-Delobel&Schoenfelder
    5-Virtue&Moir
    6-Denkova&Staviski
    7-Usova&Zhulin
    8-Navka&Kostomarov
    9-Krilova&Ovsianikov
    10-Duchesnays (for their amazing FD in 1990 and 1991 !)

30. longingfornia

longingfornia New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My new list
    1 Marina Klimova & Sergei Ponomarenko Russia
    2 Oksana Grishuk & Evgeny Platov Russia
    3 Angelika Krylova & Oleg Ovsiannikov Russia
    4 Maya Usova & Alexander Zhulin Russia
    5 Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat France
    6 Tatiana NAVKA & Roman KOSTOMAROV Russia
    7 Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR Canada
    8 Albena DENKOVA & Maxim STAVISKI Bulgaria
    9 Isabelle Delobel & Olivier Schoenfelder France
    10 Oksana DOMNINA & Maxim SHABALIN Russia

HM