Tonya Harding Pregnant?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sk9tingfan, Jul 12, 2010.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Oh, good for her! I hope this baby brings joy to the couple's life!

:cheer2:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I hope she has a safe delivery with no complications since she's knocking on the door of 40

:respec:

4. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

"working to" stop drinking and chain-smoking? Working to? :huh:

Girl should've ceased all of that immediately after the pregnancy confirmation. Maybe it's just the writer's wording; not gonna pass judgement

any more than I already have.

5. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Good for her. A while ago she made a comment that she was making a living, paying her bills, and she did not know what life held for her in the future . . . then she said "Maybe I'll have a family?" . . . and I thought, well you better get on that pretty quick unless you want to go the route of fertility clinics.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If true, I hope that this will motivate her to do whatever she needs to do to have a heathy family.

7. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

SHOTGUN!!!!

8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

There goes her comeback! :wall::p

9. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Congrats to Tonya and her new husband!

And I do hope she's able to kick the smoking/drinking. :shuffle:

10. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I'm surprised nobody picked up on this. This is from the story:

In 1994, Harding’s then-husband Jeff Gillooly was charged in the attack on her figure Skating rival Nancy Kerrigan during a practice session for the US Figure Skating Championship; Harding later admitted she knew of the plot. After a plea bargain, she was banned for life from the US Figure Skating Association.

And this is from Wikipedia:

Harding avoided further prosecution and a possible jail sentence by pleading guilty on March 16 to conspiring to hinder prosecution of the attackers. She received three years probation, 500 hours of community service and a $160,000 fine.

On June 30, 1994, after conducting its own investigation of the attack, the USFSA stripped Harding of her 1994 title and banned her for life from participating in USFSA-run events as either a skater or a coach. The USFSA concluded that Harding knew about the attack before it happened .............

So no boys and girls, Tonya never admitted she knew of the attack before it happened.

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be cool if the kid skate? Tonya can be a skating mom and coach the kid from the barrier ....

12. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

No. Should have stopped that behavior at least 6 months before conception. :(

13. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Although obviously the circumstances could have (and should have) been better for the child, I hope things work out well for everybody. If this child was an "accident," then that's pretty scary. I hope he or she will have loving parents.

14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I am sorry.....don't want to wish anyone ill, and I hope all goes well....but IMO, this is someone who should not breed!

Aside from the smoking and drinking.....has she had any period of stability in her adult life?
    Babies are not meant to "help people straighten out"....adults are supposed to get themselves straightened out, and have children.:wall:

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  15. neptune

So true.

16. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

I haven't seen Tonya in the news lately except for her wedding and rumored pregnancy - so maybe her life is going well. I wish her and her family the best.

17. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

True, but I know someone who was very troubled and had many problems (drugs, drinking...etc) that did not plan to get pregnant but did. It changed her life dramatically. She is now a very happy, healthy woman whose life is so completely different from the path she was going down. With 3 very healthy happy kids (her first she had at 38).

So if true, I hope this is the thing that will give Tonya's life what it needs.

Everyone deserves to be happy, and everyone deserves a second chance. (I got mine)

18. cryptick

cryptick New Member

Congratulations Tonya! I must says they could've chosen a better picture for the article. Tonya is prettier than that.
    It's great that at 39 she's having her first.

19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I hope she is a better mother to her child than her mother was to her.

20. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I hope she surprises us all....and turns her life around, and it is all great.

However, I am not sure everyone doesdeserve a second chance. It is a nice saying, and wonderfully applicable when it works. But realistically, how many people take advantage of that second chance? Lindsy Lohan anyone? And as to deserve.......I think there are some actions that simply don't deserve a second chance......Susan Smith for example.

I suspect the more "chances" a person has, and doesn't take advantage of, the less likely it is that they will pull themselves together. Tonya actually has had lots of chances............she is not the only person who came from horrid circumstances and pulled themselves up....Rudy..... Think of what she might have accomplished had she "listened" to advice (i.e. costumes) and just skated her best. She could have had a really different outcome.

Of course, she would not have been famous.:shuffle:

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I agree in the case of a Susan Smith or The Manson Family etc... I hope that they do "change", but they do not deserve to walk the streets because of the hideous crimes they have committed.

I used the term "second chance" loosely.

The person I referred to had gone thru rehab 8 times before she finally found the right path. When dealing with bad circumstances, it is very easy to fall into the victim role. When you are psychologically damaged by a parent (my friend, myself & Tonya's case). It can take years to undo the damage to your self esteem and be able to see the mistakes you are making that are keeping you down. When you are told from a very early age you are not good enough, it is easy to believe and let yourself be led down a wicked spiral of bad decisions and actions. You never really know when that one "thing" will happen to turn your life around.

Some people are lucky and find that "something" the first time, some people it takes many times to finally find it, and some people never find it.

I hope this is her "time", especially if there is now a baby involved.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I am NOT advocating smoking and drinking while pregnant AT ALL. However, I smoked like a chimney before my daughter was born back in 1972, and she was not affected at all. She's been incredibly healthy and athletic and has had two very big, strapping boys of her own in her late 30's.

I'm just saying it doesn't always have to turn out badly for the baby, although of course anyone in their right mind in this day and time would know not to do those things. Heck, I probably knew in 1972. At least I didn't drink!

23. neptune

That's great to hear. It sounds like your daughter was blessed with excellent genes. The thing is, smoking introduces a ton of toxins into the fetus's blood, reduces the oxygen supply (causing increased heart rate), and puts the fetus at risk for a ton of problems. Some of the other effects might be too subtle to pick up on as well. I hope things will turn out as well for Tonya's baby as they did for your daughter.

24. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

From Aunt Joyce's Ice Cream Stand This and That:

Tonya Harding is pregnant and will be beating her child with a hair brush before we know it. She recently had a shotgun wedding.

Not exactly charitable on my part, but I couldn't resist. :D

25. soogar

soogar New Member

My mom was a smoker as well. Many women smoked while pregnant before the health warnings. Supposedly now there is a higher rate of asthma than before and fewer people are smoking and many are aware of the warnings of smoking while pregnant.

I had a friend who smoked while she was pregnant as well and her baby turned out fine. She did receive some funny looks as she stood outside smoking with her pregnant belly.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Tonya's parenting technique:

A quick smack with a wrench. :p

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

This. Sure, better not to smoke or drink. But it does not guarantee a horrible future for the baby or we'd have all gone extinct long before now. A MUCH bigger worry for the baby's long-term health is having an old mother (from a reproductive standpoint. Anything after 35 is a crapshoot as far as things like replication disorders go. Sorry, unpopular, but biology doesn't care about your career or life timing-ideally, women give birth younger, when they wait, they up the risk to the offspring and themselves.)

And yeah, the hairbrush thing is out of line. There are plenty of people with screwed-up childhoods who do not go on to beat their children. Tonya's had a very long time to put her life back to some semblance of togetherness. I hope everything goes well for her.

28. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is true or not but if it is, something about it is somewhat :confused:. I realize she has likely matured a lot and changed as an adult but................she just does not strike me as a parenting type?

29. Dee2e

Dee2e Well-Known Member

Two things:

The pregnancy was first reported in The Enquirer.

Wikipedia is not a book of facts. It's a place where anyone can post anything. Don't believe everything you see there.

If the pregnancy is true, I wish her the best. She had an amazing triple axel and set of jumps!

30. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

So was John Edwards's affair. If it were Weekly World News, I'd say that's an automatic discounting of the source. The Enquirer, sadly enough, has started to scoop a lot of 'hard news' places. (And let's be fair, this is hardly 'hard news.')