Tony Curtis Dies at 85

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

2. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

OK, now I'm completely losing my mind. I could have sworn I had a conversation last week about him passing with a couple of my kids and they had no idea who he was.

RIP Tony.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

THis is soooo sad! I grew up watching his movie, and that of his daughter's. Thanks for the memories and thanks for Jamie. LOL R.I.P.

4. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Norlite, is it possible you mentioned Eddie Fisher? They were famous from the same era (and your kids are probably unlikely to know him, either).

5. Norlite

Hmmmm no. I think we might have just been talking about him because of Jamie Leigh hawking that new movie of hers on something. But I honestly thought I told them he had recently passed.

Again. RIP.

6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing when I saw Jamie Lee on Leno last week.

And trying to remember if he had younger children but realized that was what's his name that played in the Odd Couple.

7. Norlite

Is it Jamie Lee or Jamie Leigh? I had no idea so I went with the name of her mother. Which is why they named her that in the first place I guess.

And geez, this is getting stranger and stranger. I told the kids he was in the Odd Couple, and then had to correct it.

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Is that three now? Eddie Fisher, Gloria Stuart and now Tony? Not to be morbid, but they do say it comes in threes. Unless you want to include the comedian who OD'd and Arthur Penn, the director of Bonnie & Clyde...

Regardless, this is sad. I heard Tony was ill, but didn't know how serious. Jamie's mom was the late Janet Leigh, who was in "Psycho". I am crazy about Jamie Lee, always have been. I hope she and her brother are holding on.

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Aside from Some Like It Hot, he was also good in Operation Petticoat and Sweet Smell of Success. R.I.P.

10. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed: I'm so sad to hear this! I love him. One of the most beautiful men ever to walk the planet, imo, and a great actor.

I never even heard he was sick. The last time I saw him was on TCM for an hour long interview and he was quite full of himself.

RIP, Tony.

-Bridget

11. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Jamie Lee according to fan site

Tony Randell is the Odd Couple actor

12. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I loved Some LIke it Hot, too, and he was very good in Sweet Smell of Success. Is he not the one who is famous for "Yonda lies the castle of my fatha"? in an early role" Can't remember the movie.

When I was a kid I regularly read those old movie magazines like Photoplay, Silver Screen, etc. That was about the only way to get information about the stars back then, factual or not. I loved seeing the photos of the young Hollywood couples, Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh among them.

13. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

or Jack Lemmon

14. Nan

Nan Just me

Tony was a joyful part of my movie experiences when I was growing up. RIP Tony, thanks for the memories.

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that you all are able to see the "Word of Mouth" feature that Tony Curtis did for TCM about what an influence Cary Grant was for him, personally amd professionally. Watching CG, as a teenager, inspired him to act; and he could not imagine that they would work together and become such close friends, as they did.

An actor, talking about one of his associates in that way, is a rare thing.

A fine man, actor, and great personality. He will be missed.

16. BrokenAnkle

BrokenAnkle Active Member

He was wonderful, especially in one of my all time favorites: The Great Race

17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

OK, I'll confess; one of my big guilty pleasures is Operation Petticoat.

RIP, Mr. Curtis.

18. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I know he'd had COPD, but he died of cardiac arrest.

19. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Both were Jewish and extremely popular with the women, so I can see why one would get confused between Eddie and Tony. :lol: I've never heard stories of Tony's atrocious parenting skills, however, so he probably has one up on Eddie.

Anyways, I loved him in Some Like It Hot as he was such a hoot - the image of him batting his eyes in drag with his lips pooching out whilst holding forth his string of pearls cracks me up just thinking about it. The Sheboygan Conservatory of Music...we got time off for good behaviour...:lol:

RIP, Mr. Curtis.

20. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

He was also a talented artist too, wasn't he? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Regardless, I also adore Some Like It Hot and always try to catch it when it's on TCM. He really was a very talented man.

My condolences to Jamie and the Family. :(

21. masofs

masofs New Member

RIP!:(

"Some Like It Hot" is a fave of mine.

22. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

RIP to all of the old guard who've departed recently.. They're dropping like flies now, it seems...:(

NJL

23. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

He was in one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies..."Goodbye Charlie".

24. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

RIP, Bernie Schwartz (Tony Curtis).

!יהי זכרך ברוך

25. duane

duane New Member

Classic!! I think Tony's Joe/Josephine is one of the most underrated comedic performances in film history. It's a crime that only Jack Lemmon (and not Tony or Marilyn Monroe) was nominated for an Academy award.

Funny, but SLIH is the only Tony Curtis film I've ever seen.

26. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Anyone remember "The Pursuaders", the TV series he did with Roger Moore?

RIP, my good man.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I was trying to think of other movies he was in. I love The Great Race too. Great weekend afternoon entertainment.

I am seeing a production of Sugar tonight which is the musical version of Some Like it Hot. Looking forward to it.

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yes! There's been little mention of it in the coverage I've seen, but his paintings have been highly acclaimed in the past, and I'm glad Jamie Lee mentioned it in her statement.

I have a numbered print of one of his paintings, and I love it. :)

29. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

30. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I agree - Tony was amazing in SLIH. But if you can I would recommend some of his other films that all go to show he was a versatile performer - "Sweet Smell of Success", "The Definate Ones" and "Operation Petticott" to name a few. RIP Tony Curtis - you will be missed.