Tony Awards Tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm in a snit because Catch Me If You Can only got four nominations. :wuzrobbed It deserved so much more. Even some of the people on the Broadway board I visit, who can be rather persnickety about what they like, are saying that. I just hope that doesn't hurt its chances of a long run.

Although in a way, a Book of Mormon sweep might actually help Catch Me. If just one show gets shut out at the Tonys, that usually hurts its ticket sales; if a whole bunch of shows get shut out because one show takes everything, it'll just be one of many and that won't look so bad!

3. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I had a chance to get out to New York earlier this year and got to see all the Best Play nominees (my brother's boss had tickets). I thought they were all enjoyable, although I thought War Horse's strength was more because of its theatricality than anything else and the acting, I thought, wasn't anything to write home about. Good People was probably my favorite. It was really involving and had an excellent performance by Frances McDormand.

4. Wyliefan

Only non-musical play I've seen in NYC lately is Freud's Last Session. It was Off-Broadway, so not Tony-eligible. Awesome play, though, and it did win a few other awards. I highly recommend it to anyone who gets a chance to go.

5. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm gunning for Billy Crudup. FAMILY REPRESENT! :cheer2:

6. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

The only nominated show I've seen is Anything Goes.

7. JennaLaw

JennaLaw New Member

Do you know if any web pages will be showing it live?

THANKS!!!

8. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I don't know of any site that's streaming it. I always check Justin Tv for these sorts of things.

9. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

:rofl: NPH's opening number :rofl: Broadway isn't just for gays :)

Oh wow, Brooke Shields just totally botched her part of the song.

10. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:rofl: ZOMG that opening was "FAAAAAAAAABULOUS!"

11. soxxy

soxxy Guest

What a great opening number. Take note, Oscar host(s).

12. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Ah yes, the Tony Awards. It's the one time of year where I pause and reflect about how much I hate you jerks who live close to NYC and can get out see all these shows. :p

13. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

God, I hate tape-delay for the West Coast on things like this. I can't snark in real-time.

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You mean Brooke's part wasn't planned?

15. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Maybe it was planned that way, but she actually seemed embarrassed to me.

I remember actually seeing "Brotherhood of Man" on the 96 Tony's and this version doesn't seem to compare well.

16. Wyliefan

Wow, Dan Radcliffe can really dance! :)

17. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I wouldn't know, I was too busy staring at two of other dancers who were tall and hunky.

18. JennaLaw

JennaLaw New Member

19. peibeck

Singing and dancing Harry Potter. :eek: Who knew? :)

P.S. That choreography was amazing.

Loved Ellen Barkin's speech, and she even carried off that gown which could have rather mother-of-the-bride if it didn't have that high slit in the back.

20. MLIS

MLIS Active Member

They never come across as well on tv, but I saw How to Succeed last week on Broadway, and Brotherhood of Man brought the house down. It's amazing live.

And Daniel Radcliffe is adorable in the show.

21. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

"The Normal Heart" was the most emotionally devastating experience I have ever had in a theater.

BOTH Ellen Barkin & John Benjamin Hickey were amazing, so well deserved!!!

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Taraji was looking buff and HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: Two for two tonite; Viola, not Taraji. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  23. Wyliefan

Not nearly enough Aaron Tveit, and no Tom Wopat. :( Norbert Leo Butz was magnificent, but I really felt like that show was a three-man operation. It worked so well in large part because of the way they all played off each other.

24. peibeck

I saw the original off Broadway production at the Public Theatre decades ago. It remains one of the most devastating and best pieces of theatre I have ever seen.

That was Viola Davis, not Taraji P. Henson. :)

25. peibeck

From what I've heard Norbert Leo Butz is the front-runner for best actor in a musical, so that is probably why they featured him. Although I thought that number was a bit underwhelming, actually. :shuffle:

26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

We're going up to New York week after next for my birthday and The Normal Heart was at the top of my list to see. As excited as I am about seeing it, I'm wondering if it's going to be like watching Requiem for a Dream in the sense that's brilliant but incredibly bleak and devastating.

27. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of wins for The Normal Heart and The Book of Mormon tonight.

28. Wyliefan

Oh, I'm sure that's why. But I think all three men should've been nominated. (And Dan Radcliffe wasn't nominated either, but he got to perform more than Aaron did just now.)

ETA: My first time hearing anything from Scottsboro Boys. That's a really good song.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  29. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I never know much about the nominated actors or plays/musicals but I always love watching the Tony Awards each year. I wish I could get to NY to see some plays or musicals again. I've seen Chicago there but it's the only time I've seen a show there. Wow, it was so much fun and such an amazing experience to just see a show on Broadway with all the lights and signs everywhere. :swoon:

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Damn. I don't know how I got the two of them mixed up.