Tomas Verner is awesome

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Nov 7, 2010.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

And should win everything. :respec:

That's all. :)

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yes I totally agree. I think the judges at CoC were "punishing" him for bombing last season, I thought his scores should have been higher. The fact that Mrozzz beat him in the FS made me a little ticked off, Tomas is so clearly superior IMO.

Hope he kicks but this season and show the judges Verner is back and ready to dominate. :)

3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

My favorite Euro male skater by a large margin. Hope he gets his confidence back (and work on that lip!)

4. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Wuzrobbed.

I hope he gets his mojo back this season! :swoon:

5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

He is:) Tomas for the podium!

6. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Tomas! My biggest wish for a Worlds medal this season is for him. Love his new "Singin in the Rain" SP.

7. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

8. pinky166

Me too! He is probably the most charming skater out there now, that program went by in a flash, and I especially love that little wave thing he does in the beginning, so adorable :swoon:. He's easy on the eyes too :). If he can fix the lip and bring back his monster quad this season, he could challenge Takahashi, at least I think he could.

9. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I just adore the title of this thread :lol:

Yes, Tomas is awesome and I hope him doing well in China means he's getting back on track and he'll be ready for some some European and World medals!!! He's cute, charming and irresistable ;) I would really love him to stay until Sochi and give Olympic Games one more shot.

10. ninadel

ninadel New Member

Woohoo Tomas! :cheer2:

On a superficial note... I kind of wish he could have two different haircuts for the two programs (the shaggy hair works for Michael Jackson but not Singing In The Rain).

11. pinky166

Haha, I was thinking the same thing! He's cute though so it's ok, I'm sure he'll get a haircut eventually.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

With Tomas the most important thing is stamina. He already has enough of everything else.

13. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I love Tomas! He didn't seem very inspired last year in his performances (maybe he was a bit discouraged about some of his competition marks -- I certainly think he should have medaled at Worlds by now -- or maybe he was coming back last year from injury). To get over the hump, perhaps Tomas needs to work on his consistency and his confidence? He's landed beautiful quads before, but again, as I've said, the quad takes away a lot of energy from skaters and their overall development, IMO (in the training of it, and in the performing of it, both mentally and physically). I also think the demands of the new scoring system with the need to point-grab by chocking programs full of frenetic moves is a detriment to skaters attempting to develop a consistent quad.

In any case, I think Tomas, and his former training partner, Carolina, are both quite brilliant. It would be very sad if they don't fully realize their unique potential as skaters.

Tomas seems to enjoy both of his programs this year. His charm and the joy and quirky fun he expresses, brings the audience in.

ITA re Mroz!!! placed in front of Tomas???!!! To me Mroz is a talented skater, but he's not very interesting or charming, nor does he have any exciting quality or uniqueness to his skating.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Verner's CoC performances yet and I wonder if I'll get over my irrational dislike of him after I see them. ;P

I hope he's happy in Canada and getting on with the new coach. It was sad to see him bombing to that extent last season.

15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

At least you admit your dislike is irrational :hat1:

He has excellent skating skills and is a much more fluid skater than Joubert. He is probably the only current Euro skater who has presence, strength and grace.

16. pinky166

His LP is exciting because he went almost entirely clean, just doubled one loop, he landed and rotated everything else! I was so proud of him. I think he and his new coach have a good strategy, focusing on consistency, stamina, and skating clean programs before putting too much attention toward the quad. I hope he does well at his next GP, it's a pretty competitive lineup. What do people think of Tomas vs. Jeremy Abbott? They will be going head to head in Russia in 2 weeks. I tend to think if they both skate well they are pretty comparable, but that's just my opinion.

17. aftershocks

Abbott and Verner -- interesting comparison. I think they each have a unique style and completely different personalities. Abbott seems to perform more within himself, while Verner is more of an extrovert who plays to the audience. Great skating skills for both -- perhaps Abbott is a bit more attuned to music (on manleywoman's podcast, Abbott's mother was interviewed and she said that Jeremy often picks and cuts his own music). Taking into consideration that there will be others competing with them in the field, and that its hard to know what judges will do, both Jeremy and Tomas have to skate to their abilities. If Abbott is landing quads and Verner is focused on going clean, then I think obviously Abbott is ahead. In any case, Abbott's lp is a bit more intricate and deep. I do think Verner has more of a crowd-pleasing personality, but overall it's the level you reach on the ice and putting it all together, not how much the audience likes you (can't forget the politics too, because Mroz placed in front of Verner seems more than a bit ominous, but Verner should keep working hard and reaching his goals and not get down about arbitrary judges' decisions when he knows how well he's performed).

18. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

The judges didn't give him the 2nd axel. It was UR according to them :confused: He would have been 2nd otherwise.
    Tomas picked his own music too this year.

19. aftershocks

Well, I guess a lot of skaters have some input in music choices, especially as they gain experience and develop as seniors. It's something else to cut your own music -- I think that takes some knowledge of music, which I think Jeremy has, plus he was also an ice dancer early in his skating career. Does Tomas cut his music too? Whoever chose that jazz piece from a couple of seasons ago, for Tomas, ... that was a great choice, program, and performance. I think that perhaps Tomas' freewheeling, carefree way of skating somehow belies his intensity and desire.

20. ninadel

ninadel New Member

Jeremy's my other favourite male skater, so I'm going to root for both of them. Assuming that Patrick will medal even if he sits down for the entire program, I'd hope that these two get the remaining two medals.

-At NHK Jeremy got very similar TES scores (67.15) to Tomas in CoC (68.94).
    -Both are using lutz temporarily as a placeholder for the quad.
    -Jeremy doesn't really have any weaknesses technically and is more likely to milk PCS with difficult transitions. Tomas needs to work on his spins, but has more exciting footwork and jumps.
    -Jeremy's Life is Beautiful program already looks like a finished product. Tomas' MJ is a little sloppy but will probably come together as the season continues.
    -Jeremy is more of an early season skater, Tomas a late season skater.

I would predict that Jeremy would beat Tomas in Russia if he skates clean because he's better prepared at this point, but by the end of the season (assuming both are healthy) Tomas will up his game.

I think people underestimate Tomas as an artist because he's getting the reputation of being a crowdpleaser. He's like a Candeloro but with strong skating skills and dancer-like qualities. Back-to-back with Mroz you can see how Tomas really uses his shoulders and arms, but it's so natural that it's easy to take for granted.

21. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

True. Go Tomás!

:cheer2:

22. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Sure T Verner is great, he has charisma and charm. He performs very well on his Michael Jackson program. However I don't think it was well choreographed. Obviously he chose the lyrical aspect of Michael Jackson's music to cut his music. And he indeed skates very smoothly, which is interesting since other skaters who skate on MJ's songs tend to be histeric which is exactly the contrary of what should be done IMO. But still it was so smooth that he forgot to put the hip hop energic moves.
    Amodio is too histeric for me but he put the energy into the choreography.

It's indeed very hard to skate correctly on Jackson's song !

There is another skater who uses Jackson's songs this year, I forgot his name, can someone see who I'm talking about ? I thing it's a japanese skater, not sure though. Well, I find that this skater uses the music the best I've seen this year. He really get the feel of the tempo and uses the right moves, not too much, not to little neither.
    Need to recall his name...

23. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

I really enjoyed Verner's skating at CoC. Hoping he can make a run at the podium at Euros. :D

24. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
    Tomas to all the podiums!
    May the glove rule this season!
    :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

25. pinky166

Tomas and Jeremy also got very similar PCS scores at their first GPs, 75.56 vs 76.42, so they are clearly very comparable in that respect as well. I like Tomas's SP better than Jeremy's but Jeremy's LP better than Tomas's, at least at this point.

I think a lot will depend on if either men attempts the quad in the FS at COR and if Tomas gets edge calls on his flip again (he did at CoC but usually he doesn't). Jeremy fell on his 4t most of the time last season, while the 4t was one of Tomas's strongest elements last season; if they both attempt and land the quad, I tend to think Tomas would garner more +GOE for it as his jumps just seem bigger all around. However, if one of them attempts the quad and falls on it, while the other does a lutz instead and has a clean/nearly clean performance, it's a toss up over who will win.

I assume neither Jeremy nor Tomas will be attempting the quad in the SP at COR, so if they both go clean and Tomas doesn't get an edge call on his flip, I'd say he has a good chance to be ahead of Jeremy after the SP as I personally find his SP much more entertaining and watchable. The FS I tend to think Jeremy can win, but if he goes for the quad and falls on it, Tomas may be able to edge him out overall with a good performance - with or without the quad. The PCS should be very comparable and while Jeremy is generally better at spins, he was also having spin troubles at NHK, one of his spins in the SP didn't count and then he got some low levels in the LP. In terms of footwork, I think Tomas is slightly better, but again they are pretty comparable. I think a lot will come down to execution and the decision both men make about the quad, and if they land it should they decide to go for it. COR will be a nailbiter!

26. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

I think he lips most of the time though, but sometimes the judges are just being nice ;)

27. pinky166

Poo. Maybe he will switch and do 3lz-3t as his combo then and do 3f or 4t out of steps?

28. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

I'm soooooooooo glad to see Tomas gain some consistency! :rollin: It's been ages since he looked happy at a competition, and for once I didn't feel anxious while he competed. At this point, I don't really care if he medals or not----I just don't want him to bomb like he did in the past. If Verner can get on the podium, then so much the better, but as a fan, it's more important for me to be able to enjoy his performance without nervously biting my fingernails the whole time. ;)

29. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  30. pinky166

Apparently he's a really nice guy too. And smart, he speaks Czech, German, English, and French, wow!