Tomas to train overseas in summer

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by deedeelocks, May 12, 2010.

1. http://sport.idnes.cz/budu-se-pripr...e-p92-/sporty.asp?c=A100512_141522_sporty_fil

translation:

Tomas to train overseas in summer

"It's time to try something new" he said to himself. The olympic season wasn't exactly succesfull for Tomas and that prompted him to some radical changes.The European Champion of 2008 decided to atleast temporarily cancel the cooperation with trainers Vlasta Koprivova and Michael Huth.

Instead of going to Oberstdorf to prepare himself for the upcoming season, Tomas decided to have a look overseas.

"I decided, that I want to try out the system of training they use overseas. I don't know if this will be good or bad for me, that's why I first want to try it. I will go to a couple of places and try it out" said Verner

The main difference will be that he won't have a trainer all to himself. Untill now he always had 100% attention from the trainer.

"Canadian/American attitude is that there is a trainer, but just supervise and make appropriate cofrrection when they see a problem. For the rest the girls and the boys just skate and focus by themselves." said the 23 year old figure skater about the difference between Europe and the USA.

His trainers Mrs. Koprivova and Mr. Huth are at peace with his decision. "They understand me and we didn't part in a bad way. With Mrs Koprivova I anyway still work together. I will be on ice with her in May and June and then I will fly away" said Tomas.

However he does not know yet if he will stay there or return to his trainers here in Europe.

"I don't know if I will like it overseas or not. When I will like it there, I will stay there. If not, I will come back here and train with my old team. " said Tomas

He will come back from training in the US and Canada at the beginning of september. The exact program now is that he will try out in Toronto, New Jersey and Detroit.

"I will be at every location for about a week or 10 days. I want to try out everything, so I can see even off the ice, how everything works." said Verner, who at one point even train with legendary coach Brian Orser, coach of Olympic gold medalist Yu-na Kim.

Verner also decided to work on the psychological aspect, which failed him already a couple of times.

"I am taking more extreme steps than I ever did. I didn't wanna tell everyone about it though untill now. I started to work with a person now who doesn't really have the classical approach to this problem" said Tomas.

The new method will involve training, not sitting, or so he heard. "We will see what it will bring me. I still have a month and a half and I have really high expectations of this" Said Tomas. His new psychologist otherwise devotes his time to boxers and wrestlers.

In summer tomas will work on his new programs. "I want to enter the new season with a new SP and LP. I don't want to keep anything for last season and it will be like a whole new beginning." said Tomas.

midori, shallwedansu, LynnW and 5 others like this.
  2. Lizziebeth

Lizziebeth the real Lizziebeth

I really enjoy his skating and hope he finds a new situation that helps him. He has so much talent, and I hope he can overcome his problems with inconsistency.

3. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Come to Boston, Tomas!

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Thank you, deedeelocks!

5. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

read: He's not retiring. Ergo:

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2:

6. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Go Tomas! :cheer2:

He is really sweet guy, I hope he can find success again in his career.

7. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

YAY TOMAS!!! I hope he likes "overseas"! I hope it all comes together for him!!! Am very happy he opted for change. I enjoy his skating a great deal- looking forward to the future.

8. senorita

senorita New Member

that is great news!!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Great to see he's addressing the mental aspect and got an experienced sport psychologist.

Him trying out different NA coaches should be turned into a reality tv show. :D

10. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Ooohhh, he mentioned trying Detroit . . . imagines Jeremy Abbott and Tomas Verner in the same training rink and books a ticket to the motor city STAT! ;):swoon: I would LOVE for both Jeremy and Tomas to finally realize their enormous talents at the World Championships. Abbott & Verner for the World podium!!! :cheer2:

11. shallwedansu

shallwedansu New Member

Woah, looks like Orser picked up everybody from FOI. Who's next? Kiira Korpi? :lol:

Thanks deedeelocks for the news. I'm excited to see a revitalized Tomas! :cheer:

12. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Awww I would love to be there, too!! Plus, Daisuke announced that his LP next season would be choreographed again by Camelengo. There is a chance that Daisuke, Jeremy, and Tomas in the same rink at the same time!!! :smokin:

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Hmm I am so glad he is getting away from Huth.

Barkell and Orser would be good choices as permanent coaches for him I think. Maybe even Sato?

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I have been out of the loop but does this mean he has left Huth? If so great decision.

15. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I had to snicker at "legendary coach Brian Orser" - he's only been coaching for a couple of years and he's already legendary?

But I'm glad Tomas is trying new things. And I like that he's saying that he doesn't know if it will work out or not, but he's willing to try it out. Really, it's the start of a new quadrennial, so the best time to try things out, and after last season, really, what does he have to lose?

16. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

thank god he's getting away from Huth :yikes:

17. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:)I'm really looking forward to this. I've never really been able to warm to Tomas... and I've often felt quite guilty about it , because his quality is plain to see. But I seldom like his programs , or his costumes. Put that together with his lack of confidence ( or whatever) and I always wind up thinking of him as a "might have been ". Wherever he settles ,I really hope this can work out for him.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  18. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting, DeeDee! :cheer2: Yay for Tomas sticking to skating and not retiring!

19. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I´m glad that Tomas has not given up skating and is trying to find new systems. Actually I hoped that he would have done that earlier, but better late than never... Somehow his win of the European title confused his head and he became more inconsistent after that. I sure hope that his problems will be fixed now...

20. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

What a great news!:cheer::40beers::cheer:
    Very good that he seeks help for a sports psychologist plus new coach(es)! When he is on, he is among the best of the world and has all the potential to win the Worlds.
    Go, Tommy!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Go for it, Tomas!!!

I'm sure he can be great again one day. He has it all somewhere inside him, so the only thing to do is just to get it back and be a rockstar again ;) I wouldn't mind him winning the Euros once again... and then again... and again... :p

22. ninadel

ninadel New Member

Wonder if he's going to continue choreography with Lori Nichol. New choreography from David Wilson or Kurt Browning could be amaaazing...

23. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Yes, to see the World podium with Abbott, Verner and... let's say Takahashi again... for one day Harmony in the World will be restored. And then to see Lambiel be a special guest at the Exhibition.

24. Helenista

Helenista New Member

I saw Tomas in practice at Worlds a couple of years ago. He was amazing. We were all sure that he would land on the podium based on what we saw in practice. Something went missing between the practice sessions and competition. It was very sad and I hope he can figure it out becuase he has so much talent.
    Mostly I am glad he's not quitting so hopefully he will get it together! He surely has the ability.

25. Helenista

Helenista New Member

Go Tomas

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  26. ninadel

ninadel New Member

I wonder if Jeremy and Tomas do/would get along? They both seem to be jokesters with similar personalities (also: hyperactive kiss + cry antics), but I've never heard them mention each other... although they've stood on the same podium. Detroit sounds like a fun training environment, from what I've gleaned on the internets at least.

27. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I agree. It's a perfect time to take a risk like this, and the change alone may give him a whole new perspective on his career.

I have a good feeling about this move! :cheer2:

28. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Although he was great in those World practices, maybe in his every day training he just does not do enough complete run-throughs of his programmes? In competitions as one is bound to be nervous, one can kind of rely on the muscle memory from those countless run-throughs.

29. bek

bek Guest

I'm not sure how this is a risk for him at this point. Something was clearly not working in his training evironment (whatever it was). And he's now no longer even Czech's no 1 skater. He'd be a fool if he stayed. Of course Tomas is extremely talented and I hope a change will do him some good.

30. he did them, nearly every day, since 2008 worlds...
    last year he just had the problem of never really being fit...