"Toddlers and Tiaras" Star Is Retiring from Pageants

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Aug 10, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I can't say I endorse this kind of thing, but it strikes me that it's not much different than children who became marketing brands in the past - from Shirley Temple to the Olsen twins. The only thing that's changed is there are more ways to get famous now - websites, youtube, social media, reality shows etc.

3. overedge

But the Olsen twins and Shirley Temple were branded/merchandised after they became recognized for doing something else (acting). Slapping your homemade videos on YouTube and putting your songs up on iTunes isn't quite the same thing as having a legitimate entertainment career to build a brand/merchandise on.

And a "showgirl doll" based on a six-year-old is just wrong.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Like I said, I don't endorse this - I was more just commenting on how children as brands is not a new concept (not that you said it was) with only the methods changing over the years (which I find interesting).

At the same time, I'll argue that what the Olsen twins did before they became a massive moneymaking brand wasn't much - cutsey appearances on a sitcom isn't much different than competing in pageants IMO.

As for going on youtube etc as a first step toward a legitimate career is not unprecedented either - that's how Justin Bieber got started.

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I think that Tiger Woods Dad forced him into golf but lucked out as he had a son who wanted to play and had a gift for the game. I feel the same about Shirley Temple and her mother---Shirley had incredible talent for a child so young. But I don't think most parents forcing their children into whatever don't realize there are very few who actually excel. And doing what this little girl does is nothing to write home about...What was/is her Mom/Dad thinking?

6. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Yes, but A (homemade videos) can be the gateway to B (legit career). See: Justin Beiber

7. overedge

But how many entertainers other than Bieber have made a career through YouTube? Just because one person managed to be discovered through YouTube doesn't mean it's a viable career option.

And I would guess that Bieber's mom, or whoever was posting his videos, wasn't posting them with claims that he had "hit singles" or with any of the other hyperbole that this kid's website is full of.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The girl's mother has "Hollywood aspirations" for her.
    She'll be just "one of thousands" there, I'm sure.

9. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

True. Talent before hype.

10. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

How many skaters have we seen hyped before they did anything? That concept is not new either.

11. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Yuto Miyazawa. http://www.yutoguitar.com And of course, Susan Boyle.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  12. overedge

Do you mean Susan Boyle?
    She was a finalist on Britain's Got Talent, which is how she got onto YouTube. So she had some degree of fame beforehand.
    And I don't know the other performer you've named, so I wouldn't agree that YouTube has made him that much of a star....

13. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Well, the Ozman knows him.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/yuto_miyazawa Ever appear on stage with Ozzy when you were 10?

14. overedge

If you have to put a Wikipedia link to explain who this person is, they are not as famous as you think they are.

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

eden reminds me of anna nicole smith for some reason

Elise and (deleted member) like this.
  16. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

OMG -- I was wondering who she reminded me of!

17. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I heard Eden was a fierce drug fiend. Her and Amy were often seen together. Throw Julia Andrews in the mix and you have a real party not to be missed.

18. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Depends on how you define "career," I would think.

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

She reminds me of JonBenet. I'm paranoid but there are too many pervs out there to advertise your child this way.

20. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Do pervs actually go for little beauty queens?

I always thought that what pervs liked about children was their innocence. I would think that they would be turned off by the, let's say, overly polished look that the pagaent girls have. And pervs seem to seek out isolated, loner kids, not little spotlight huggers.

I don't know if that's true; I've asked before, but never gotten an answer on that.

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

You just haven't asked the right perv.

22. overedge

So I watched part of this horror show last night, and had to turn it off because it was so awful.

Little Miss Eden referred to herself as a "pageant superstar" with a straight face. She and her mom went to Hollywood to be on Entertainment Tonight (although they didn't include any actual clips from the show) along with MaKenzie or however she spells her name, and her equally horrific pushy mom. Little Miss Eden performed her song "Cutie Patootie", written by her agent, live on Hollywood Boulevard. Her mom was gushing about how great she was, but the tourists who were watching were :wideeyes: in horror. Her mom seriously doesn't seem to get that people's interest in her kid is not "Wow, what a great little entertainer" but more "OMG, look what that poor child is being forced to do".

Then she was going to go in a "World Champion" pageant which was run by her agent. The agent said that she had several clients in this pageant, but it was all going to be fairly judged and she would not interfere in the results. All she would do was tell the judges what judging criteria to use :lol:

It looked from the teasers that there was some major :drama: at the pageant and that even Little Miss Eden's mom was POed at the results, but I gave up at that point.

23. grimey

grimey bird is the word

I have to admit that I love this show purely because it is such a trainwreck. There are some wacked out mamas on this show thats for damn sure. The odd time they will show a kid that is actually normal but 9 times out of 10 they only show the real bratty ones.

24. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Actually, after watching "Dance Moms", the moms on T&T really look kind of sane by comparison. (Also, they drink less, at least on camera.)

Except Eden's mom.

25. BlueAranjuez

BlueAranjuez New Member

These shows make me cringe...what happened to kids looking like actual kids and not barbie dolls? eek!

26. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

This. And Beiber had the appeal of being a cute teenage boy.....which meant he appealed to bazillions of teenage girls. Never underestimate the power of teenage girls. I don't think Eden has the same draw.

27. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I feel very, very sorry for Eden. I have seen her on this show many times and she is crying and doesn't want to be there. Her mother is one of the worse stage mothers I have ever seen and even admited on one show that she plans on living on Eden's money after she makes her famous. It's scary.

28. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

and her mom wants her to top the charts with her songs/videos of cutie patootie, underpuppy and antz in your pantz but it is quite obvious in those songs that she she can not sing at all. Her mom is so delusional

29. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

What is this "Dance Moms".. it sounds amazing.

Toddlers and Tiaras is a hot mess.

30. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

True, I don't understand how any parent would let their kid out of the house looking like that. JonBenet's pageant get-ups look tame by today's standards. She had the dyed blond hair, but as far as I can tell from the photos it was all her own hair and not a weave. She didn't wear a flipper and I don't think spray tan had been invented yet. Eden Wood looks like a miniature version of that televangelist lady Jan Crouch. I can't see how she'll make it in Hollywood. What kinds of roles could she play? Nobody is going to cast her as somebody's daughter in a TV sitcom or a click flick. Maybe someone will do a sequel to Little Miss Sunshine and she can play one of the bratty pageant kids.